Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Silly Servo Horn Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Silly Servo Horn Question

Here's a silly question:

I have super 300's in axial axles and I feel as though my servo (7955tg) is not providing all the turn degrees that the axles can handle. It's like the servo is limiting the cvd's haha. The servo is axle mounted in the factory scx-10 location. The servo horn is 1" long clamping racer's edge horn. It's black.

If I purchased a servo horn that was say.. 1.25" long would the servo then have more throw and maximize the cvd's steering ability? I want to have to set EPA's on the servo's throw so i KNOW i'm getting full steering ability out of the super expensives. i mean super 300's.

I almost ordered a 1.25" servo horn from airwildhobbies.com for $8, but shipping was $9!!! that's bull. you could put it in a padded envelope for like $2! I dont want to pay $19 for a $8 horn lol.
heinie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Silly Servo Horn Question

Yes a longer horn would give you more steering range.. I just did this the other day when my Honcho steering was maxed out via EPA's and I still had mechanical steering to take advantage of.. A longer horn and I now have EPA adjustment to spare in my radio. I think it might lessen the torque of the servo a little to do this? Don't know if it'd be enough to notice or not.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Silly Servo Horn Question

Yes, a longer servo arm will get (to a point) more travel out of your steering.
Keep in mind, this also reduces the torque available to the steering.
Another option at times is to make a new mounting point on the steering knuckle that is closer to the axle, same effect and same potential on torque reduction. You may not have enough "meat" in the steering arm to make a new mounting point though.

If you're borderline on torque now, you may be in a fix with a longer servo arm/shorter knuckle mounting point. Having run 7955's, I would almost suggest a 7950 with an external BEC. For me, the 7955 is a great MRC servo.

Some servos can be programmed for more than 90* throw, this usually requires a servo programmer.
I tend to use HiTec servos and have a HPP-21 (?) servo tester/programmer if need be.

[Jus beat me to the post, I went to measure my GHRacing arm to see the effective length........LOL]
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I understand the loss in torque with the longer horn. But since this is a scaler not a comp rig I find my 7955tg's on external bec's to be overkill usually.

So maybe the easier and cheaper (free) rout would be to mount the drag link on the inner knuckle holes instead of the outer ones. Vp8* knucks have 2 sets of holes don't they?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
heinie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Silly Servo Horn Question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hitec servo glitching and a servo horn question m1009cucv Electronics 5 08-18-2012 11:22 AM
Servo Horn Question Harvo Newbie General 4 05-13-2008 07:22 PM
Servo horn question Zardoz Electronics 3 11-06-2007 09:09 PM
servo horn question TJ_Shunk General Crawlers 2 07-03-2007 02:40 PM
Servo horn question calyakker Electronics 8 04-24-2007 02:22 AM