RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   How to Revive a Low Voltage Lipo? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/420113-how-revive-low-voltage-lipo.html)

Rob450FE 12-30-2012 05:38 PM

How to Revive a Low Voltage Lipo?

So my son has a Honcho, and his best friend got a Ridgecrest for Xmas, and they were playing in the snow yesterday and both of them ran the batterys so low that they wont charge now. (Lipo cut off, and kept trying to play) So I have tried to lower the voltage setting on my charger which now says "Auto" And the amps I lowered to .1 Now the charger runs for 5 seconds then stops. I've tried this at least 10 times back to back hoping each time the lipo is taking a bit more and eventually I'll be able to charge it normaly.

Does this make sence??

Anyone ever brought back a dead lipo??

Thanks in advence, cheers"thumbsup"

ev0l 12-30-2012 06:51 PM

Re: How to Revive a Low Voltage Lipo?

Once they get too low a chemical reaction takes place that damages the cells. You may be able to get it work again but It will never be the same. It can also be dangerous. I'd dispose of it and replace it.

RootBreaker 12-30-2012 07:31 PM

i was just able to do this with my 6yr olds redcat micro crawler..

i couldnt get it to charge the 2s battery cuz 1 cell was too low..

searching google lead me to this..

charge your lipo on NIHM.. HOWEVER B4 WARNED!!!! do not over charge.. they say watch the nihm voltage and charge to roughly 6v (on a 2s battery)..

so i took the 2s 250 mah battery and threw it on nihm.. at 6.35v (18 minutes in).. i was able to switch over to lipo balance.. YEHAW!!!!!!!!!!!

Jslick 12-30-2012 07:34 PM

You can charge it as nimh to get it back up to voltage then balance it. I would sit by it just to keep an eye on it. My son and I have in the past also run them down too far. There are several posts on this here on rcc.

Hope this helps

Rob450FE 12-31-2012 05:11 PM

Great. Thanks for the info guys. Ill give that a try and get back to ya.

lespaul02 12-31-2012 05:35 PM

Best of luck one of my cells keep on draining quick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnnyh66 12-31-2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RootBreaker (Post 4098797)
i was just able to do this with my 6yr olds redcat micro crawler..

i couldnt get it to charge the 2s battery cuz 1 cell was too low..

searching google lead me to this..

charge your lipo on NIHM.. HOWEVER B4 WARNED!!!! do not over charge.. they say watch the nihm voltage and charge to roughly 6v (on a 2s battery)..

so i took the 2s 250 mah battery and threw it on nihm.. at 6.35v (18 minutes in).. i was able to switch over to lipo balance.. YEHAW!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob450FE (Post 4100142)
Great. Thanks for the info guys. Ill give that a try and get back to ya.

It's not worth it!
I did this and it worked but after a few more cycles, it burst into flames while charging.
A lipo fire is nothing to mess around with.
It burned like a rocket! It was so hot it scorched through the fire safe bag and burned our wood floors. Thank God I was right there to catch it.

I dispose of them as soon as they show sign of puffing or low voltage.