Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: tale of 2 servos savox 1258tg, spektrum s6040

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default tale of 2 servos savox 1258tg, spektrum s6040

During some racing in December I had two servos strip out on me. Typically I run the savox 1258, however with a store credit and it being the only servo in stock I had also picked up a spektrum s6040.

They both have identical stats: Savox SC1258TG Digital Servo, Spektrum - The Leader in Spread Spectrum Technology

166 oz-in @6v with .08 transit speed, titanium geared coreless digital motor

They are basically the same. Some minor differences, the savox has a longer esc wire, the servo cost about $10 cheaper, and has a 25 tooth spline fitting futaba sized servo horns where the spektrum is 23 tooth and fits airtronics. No biggie but worth noting.

I was hoping that they had stripped with different gears, then I would possibly only need to buy one set of gears. No suck luck. But at less than $25shipped for a gear set- it's waaay better than replacing a $65 servo.

Tearing apart the case is easy with four screws. Then it was a simple de-construction. Once again, everything looks to be exactly the same. The only noticeable difference I will have on the flip side is that the spektrum servo will now fit a futaba servo horn instead of the airtronics it needed previously.

From here, I used a cotton swab with cowrc motor de-greaser and cleaned up the base. Afterwards I blasted in with the air can (I am working in my living room so no garage air compressor).

Now time to re-construct which isn't too hard. I did notice a couple things, the pins are the key to the whole setup (there are two of them)- remove them and it's easy to tear apart-- when it's time to put together put the final gear in place, once again easy to do then slide in the small pin. If you place both pins in and then slide gears over them you will not be able to place the gears in the proper order because the gears overlap one another. Also I did notice with the large gear assembly (the one that I had stripped out). There is a wrong way and right way to put back into place. If you flip it 180 degrees it will have limited motion, if you place correctly it will have full motion only limited by the stubby pin sticking out of the assembly itself. Make sure you have the full range of motion before screwing the lid back on.

After all this I blast the whole assembly with some moo-slick and then button it back up. I keep all the left over gears because you never know. I suspect that these big gear assemblies will probably be the only thing stripping. All in all, I would rather pay $23 and replace some gears then buy a whole new servo. Thank you savox!

budhatrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
ahhh S^*T

Default Re: tale of 2 servos savox 1258tg, spektrum s6040

good stuff! its actually very common for different gear sets to fit other servos. you can really mess with the specs of a servo by experimenting with this if you have a bunch laying around to make one good servo. as i found out.

thanks for the info, and well done!!
AxialJeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Is the gear you stripped Aluminum or Ti looks to be aluminum adn if so why would they put Aluminum gears up aganist Ti just dont make no sense to me. I had this same problem with a Ti geared servo and really made me mad when i tore into it.
tbacon38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

With the relatively low torque rating, I'm surprised to see that large gear stripped. What rigs are you running these in? Is the servo saver basically locked?

I've been running a 1258 in my Blitz for almost two years now and it's output shaft is still tight, even with a locked saver and aluminum steering bellcranks.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxialJeepster View Post
good stuff! its actually very common for different gear sets to fit other servos. you can really mess with the specs of a servo by experimenting with this if you have a bunch laying around to make one good servo. as i found out.

thanks for the info, and well done!!
I was under the same impression about gear sets. Then as the waterproofing of the rear of a 1283sg was done and moved to the front this surprised me:

Been pleasantly surprised with savox, the noise... eh its minor.

Indeed cool writeup Budhatrain
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

thanks for looking and enjoying the write up. I am so glad that I don't need to replace the whole servo. I had a couple guys drive my trucks that weekend and they just didn't treat them the way that I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
With the relatively low torque rating, I'm surprised to see that large gear stripped. What rigs are you running these in? Is the servo saver basically locked?

I've been running a 1258 in my Blitz for almost two years now and it's output shaft is still tight, even with a locked saver and aluminum steering bellcranks.
I am not really surprised they stripped out, they are TI but... I run them on monster trucks that jump and turn tight with no servo saver but aluminum arms

budhatrain is offline   Reply With Quote

tale of 2 servos savox 1258tg, spektrum s6040 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tested: Savox 1258TG current draw Evil Genius jr. Electronics 0 08-08-2012 06:06 AM
Savox servos slobin3d Electronics 20 08-10-2010 04:06 AM