Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: How do I run LED's from a 9volt battery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default How do I run LED's from a 9volt battery

Hey there
generally im new to installing LED's. I want to install a light kit and run it off a 9 volt battery, can anyone post a link or perhaps explain how i would do this. The light kit i ordered is this one....1set G T Power 12 LED RC Car Flashing Light System | eBay

Also how would I go about running off AA as an option?
milestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2013, 04:13 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: How do I run LED's from a 9volt battery

The set you ordered won't run off of 9v (specs show 4.8-6v). Looks like you just plug it into your receiver for power.
road_rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
RCC Addict

If for some reason you don't want to or can't power if from your receiver, you could use a receiver pack.
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Other Options:

1) 4 AA alkaline cells in series. Radio shack sells a battery holder that would work. RadioShack Enclosed 4 AA Battery Holder : Battery Holders | RadioShack.com

2) You could a add a BEC programmed for 6V if you can't power it off the receiver.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
RCC Addict

wire up the LED's with the proper resistors, get a 9v plug from radio shack, solder + to+ and - to - on the 9v plug and then just hook up the 9v batt.

check the back of the LED package & make sure they are the right voltage and your good to go. I have used up to 10 LED's with this set up but prefer running it thru the RX.
these used to be run by a 9v batt.

Last edited by crawlhog; 01-07-2013 at 03:07 PM.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Aren't 9V batteries kind of expensive? Why use one when you can run from receiver power?
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

9V batteries have a very low capacity (they won't last long).

Here is our AAA battery holder that would work great:
Gear Head RC 4 AAA Battery Holder with Switch

-Jim
Rpp Hobby/Gear Head RC
Gear Head RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
Other Options:

1) 4 AA alkaline cells in series. Radio shack sells a battery holder that would work. RadioShack Enclosed 4 AA Battery Holder : Battery Holders | RadioShack.com

2) You could a add a BEC programmed for 6V if you can't power it off the receiver.
Thank you I was looking for that battery holder, I had one that came with a Used rc one time, and was wondering where to get them!
Old 01-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyok View Post
Aren't 9V batteries kind of expensive? Why use one when you can run from receiver power?

True they are, I was also looking for a AA battery holder to use, thanks to previous post I can get one..... The reason I dont wanna run thru receiver power is I like to switch around my bodies on different chassis ( i have 2 scx10's and a trail finder) sometimes I switch bodies around.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by milestone View Post
True they are, I was also looking for a AA battery holder to use, thanks to previous post I can get one..... The reason I dont wanna run thru receiver power is I like to switch around my bodies on different chassis ( i have 2 scx10's and a trail finder) sometimes I switch bodies around.
Okay, I kind of see your point, but can't you just plug it into the receiver when you move the body?

No need to buy a battery pack or extra batteries as you are going to run it from your chargeable that runs your rig!
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyok View Post
Okay, I kind of see your point, but can't you just plug it into the receiver when you move the body?

No need to buy a battery pack or extra batteries as you are going to run it from your chargeable that runs your rig!

Well to get at my receiver i have to remove battery, remove battery tray, then open receiver box (3 screws) and then do that in reverse. Ill get one of those 4 AA holders, i use rechargable AA's in everything, beats buying new batteries every few days.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

you could also get a servo extension for each truck run it outside the box and just unplug the lights at the extension, no need to keep opening the box to unplug the lights
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:07 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
you could also get a servo extension for each truck run it outside the box and just unplug the lights at the extension, no need to keep opening the box to unplug the lights

Sick, thanks for that tip!
Old 01-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Been running the type of system you describe for a few years now on my drift RC cars.

Like you i got tired with having to plug and unplug the wires every time i removed the shell.
I also had problems as there needed to be a certain length for me to be able to get my hand under the shell to disconnect them, but if i went slightly too long the wires got caught around my drive belt, if i went too short it was a right faff to get my hand in every time i removed the shell.

So i used some velcro on the shell and a PP3 9v battery, soldered a PP3 connector to the LED's and have been running that.

Didn't bother with resistors as i wanted to keep it simple, figured if i have to replace a LED that cost very little money once every 3 months then i'd be happy with that.
As it is i've been running like this on the Elise shell for around 3 years and around 2 1/2 years with the 350z shell and i've not had to replace a LED yet.

I get just over 2 hours out of a 155mAh LSD type rechargeable PP3, which is about the time it takes for me to start getting bored.
If i want to drive for longer i simply take an extra PP3 battery.

Looked at using AA batteries, what put me off though was, my PP3 weighs 30g with velcro.
4 x Eneloop's weigh just over 100g, you need to add the weight of the holder to that as well.

So i didn't want all that weight high up above the CoG and was prepared to replace LED's as a compromise, as it turns out they still seem to run for hours and hours even on just under 9v

Here's my set up's on 2 of my shells.
The Elise runs front and rear lights together with a controller, the 350z just front lights.

Cheers
Mark
cbr6fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:16 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

i run mine off a old cell phone battery, very small,very light and god knows how long they will run off it

i soldered a jst plug onto a couple old batteries
stanmondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanmondz View Post
i run mine off a old cell phone battery, very small,very light and god knows how long they will run off it

i soldered a jst plug onto a couple old batteries
I like this idea. Got a few of that same batt laying around to. Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
sidehiller is offline   Reply With Quote

How do I run LED's from a 9volt battery - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How many LED's can I run off of an RX? RNUOVR General Scale Talk 5 12-02-2011 03:53 PM
What battery to run? HELP! losimini760 Electronics 6 05-16-2011 12:47 AM
battery run time losi battery perez62682 Team Losi Comp Crawler 4 03-14-2010 08:22 PM
Finally MY LED's ARE WORKING!!! over 26 LED's 4x4Crawler4LIFE Scale Videos! 11 07-28-2009 09:07 PM
How do you run 1 battery for CC SDheavymetal Duratrax Cliff Climber 3 12-25-2008 03:29 PM