Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: servo winch?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default servo winch?

Is there a reason you need to set the pot and not just remove it. I am not finding any reason or info saying it wont work to remove it and bypass it. Need help understanding this.

Thanks
buggynutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: servo winch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggynutt View Post
Is there a reason you need to set the pot and not just remove it. I am not finding any reason or info saying it wont work to remove it and bypass it. Need help understanding this.

Thanks
You can remove it if you are using an aftermarket winch controller. If you are using the stock servo board you need to center the pot to take the creep out and glue it. I prefer taking everything out of the servo winch and using a relay servo winch controller since you can feed it with 12 volts and get alot more power and speed. With the stock electronics (on a Hitec 645 or 7955) you are limited to 6 volts.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I under stand that but funds are not available right now for a winch controler. I really want one but I have to work with what I have. I centerd the pot and glued it but I still get drift so I was wanting to know if you take the pot out if it will get rid of the need to set it. I was not sure if that is possible or if the pot is just a needed part of the electronics. I think the next option I have if removing the pot is out is just putting a off switch to kill all the power to the winch when not in use.

thanks, more info would be great
Old 01-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
I under stand that but funds are not available right now for a winch controler. I really want one but I have to work with what I have. I centerd the pot and glued it but I still get drift so I was wanting to know if you take the pot out if it will get rid of the need to set it. I was not sure if that is possible or if the pot is just a needed part of the electronics. I think the next option I have if removing the pot is out is just putting a off switch to kill all the power to the winch when not in use.

thanks, more info would be great
You'd be best to just put a switch on it, Trying to get the correct resistors to eliminate the pot is tough.
JesterSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Ok thanks. Just didnt know you needed to resisters to eliminate the pot..
Old 01-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Yes, you need the pot or the resistors. The problem with the winch drift isn't caused by the pot / resistors changing value on you. It drifts because you have a high gain amplifier (the servo amplifier) and you aren't giving it any feedback in proportion to its position. The transmitter signal and or the components in the servo amp all change value slightly with temperature or how you look at them and the servo amp sends power to the servo motor to correct for this change... but the feedback loop - the rotary position information from the pot - has been defeated, so the winch line will creep on you.

As was pointed out, you can put a toggle switch on the positive or negative line feeding the servo winch and just turn it on as needed.

If you have a few bucks, get one of my controllers instead
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Heyok, thanks for the insight on this. I will be getting the winch controler but I have been out of work for a month so funds are being saved until I start working again. Just trying to figure out the best/free fix to get me by. Thanks again
Old 01-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Just built a winch for my Bronco using one of the HeyOK controllers. Played with it this weekend and it works great!
treys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Heyok, thanks for the insight on this. I will be getting the winch controler but I have been out of work for a month so funds are being saved until I start working again. Just trying to figure out the best/free fix to get me by. Thanks again
Cool. Save your money, the toys can wait. Take care of the important stuff first!
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote

servo winch? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jevne Batt./Servo Plate With Servo Winch Installed? BodiBuilt Axial SCX-10 0 12-11-2012 05:19 PM
Which servo for a winch? PIMPNROCKS Newbie General 4 07-07-2008 01:07 AM