Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: How to wire LEDs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: How to wire LEDs

Right, 20 LEDs at 0.020 mA = 0.4 Amps
That's a decent load, but really not much in the scheme of things for the BEC to handle. And, as you said, it is a supply of regulated voltage so you won't have the lights dimming on you. Plus, you might have the luxury of a low voltage cutoff in your ESC that will help keep you from over discharging your pack.
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I've found a few places with 25k+mcd white LED's where you can buy a bunch pretty cheap. Essentially I'd just need to get those, the right resistors and then light controllers as needed to turn what I want on and off.

So when they say the forward voltage is 3.0-3.4v (3.2v typical) at 24mA (max) should you size resistors for whatever your voltage source is (say 5v from BEC) and 3.2v for drop and 24mA for current? Or, should you down size a littel to say 3.0v and 20mA?
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #23
I joined the Band!

interesting.. thanks for this one!!!!!

i bought 50 blue led's from ebay for $5 a while ago shipped... and used 8 of them in my fish tank as a moon light... they already had resistors for 12v so I just hooked up a dc power supply and went..

hmm I will have to look at doing this eventually.....for my RC's....

thanks for sharing
RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:23 PM   #24
RCC Addict

So, if I do the math correctly on my above example I'm looking at:

(5v-3.2v)/0.024mA = 75ohm or for 6v BEC 116.7ohm (so round up to next size of 120)
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyok View Post
Hope it helps you!

I can read the 5% type resistor colour codes without thinking about them but you probably have a 1% resistor there and I'm not sure how to read it. Found this:
Resistor color code calculator - 3, 4 and 5 band resistors
Entered in your colours but it didn't like them.

I always grab an ohmmeter when in doubt.

after years of using resistors, this has to be about the best resistor calculator
ive ever used. thanks for posting. very helpful.
envious8420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ik632 View Post
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I've found a few places with 25k+mcd white LED's where you can buy a bunch pretty cheap. Essentially I'd just need to get those, the right resistors and then light controllers as needed to turn what I want on and off.

So when they say the forward voltage is 3.0-3.4v (3.2v typical) at 24mA (max) should you size resistors for whatever your voltage source is (say 5v from BEC) and 3.2v for drop and 24mA for current? Or, should you down size a littel to say 3.0v and 20mA?
Using the LED calculator tool:
5V from BEC
3 V LED
24mA
we get 82 ohm

and...

5V from BEC
3 V LED
20mA
we get 100 ohm

My thinking is that you will mostly find 6 volts running to the recevier so...

6V from BEC
3 V LED
20mA
we get 150 ohm

I have a pant load of 150 ohm resistors already so that's what I would use!

Last edited by heyok; 01-29-2013 at 06:16 PM. Reason: left out a word!
Old 01-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #27

Thanks for the write up. You broke it down into easy steps!
ssyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

pmed

Last edited by envious8420; 01-22-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

LED series parallel array wizard---http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz
555 Astable Circuit Calculator---http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/555_astable.php
Welcome to the Electronics Club
EPE "Basic Soldering Guide"---http://www.epemag.wimborne.co.uk/solderfaq.htm
Servo Database - RC Servo Specs and Reviews
Old 01-23-2013, 01:39 AM   #30
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the How-To thread!!! I just ordered 100 white and 100 red led's and the resisters needed. Now the EXO, Honcho, and Slash are going to be burning holes though the midnight sky!!!
BigGuyJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:23 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuyJT View Post
Thanks for the How-To thread!!! I just ordered 100 white and 100 red led's and the resisters needed. Now the EXO, Honcho, and Slash are going to be burning holes though the midnight sky!!!
That's great! Hope you can post up your results.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:27 AM   #32
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuyJT View Post
also can you give a link where you bought?

my son has a hummer rc that we got from RS a while ago.. the mattrax hummer.. and it has lights.. i could steal them!!!!!! hah
RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:22 PM   #33
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyok View Post
That's great! Hope you can post up your results.
Will do
Old 01-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #34
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBreaker View Post
also can you give a link where you bought?

my son has a hummer rc that we got from RS a while ago.. the mattrax hummer.. and it has lights.. i could steal them!!!!!! hah
I got 'em off e-bay. Clicked on free shipping and US only and so many came up. If you need the actual link I'll have to get that to you when I'm off work.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:35 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Im really glad you started this Al. I've got all kinds of tricks for for these little plastic wonders.
When I'm getting ready to wire an rc for lights, I like to whip out the old breadboard and make /test the system before installing it in the build, especially when using 555 timers and others. After I know its gravy ill start soldering. I came up with a method of using IC chips without a circuit board, I take needle nose pliers and straighten the pins that are going to be used, solder the leads on and shrink wrap, then snip off the others. then a large piece around the whole deal.(like HeyOk does with his great products.) <> LOL!

Last edited by envious8420; 01-23-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by envious8420 View Post
Im really glad you started this Al. I've got all kinds of tricks for for these little plastic wonders.
When I'm getting ready to wire an rc for lights, I like to whip out the old breadboard and make /test the system before installing it in the build, especially when using 555 timers and others. After I know its gravy ill start soldering. I came up with a method of using IC chips without a circuit board, I take needle nose pliers and straighten the pins that are going to be used, solder the leads on and shrink wrap, then snip off the others. then a large piece around the whole deal.(like HeyOk does with his great products.) <> LOL!

One of my favorite stores is Radio Shack here in the states, not sure of their equal in other countries though. This is where I buy the majority of my supplies/parts. they sell these little black project boxes that are perfect for stashing all of the various components. They are also fairly easy to seal/waterproof, you can even mount switches for various controls(multiple winches, rock lighting and so much more.)<
It's a fun hobby. Glad to read that others enjoy it.
We used to have Radio Shack but something happened and now the stores are called The Source.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

This is where I buy the majority of my supplies/parts. they sell these little black project boxes that are perfect for stashing all of the various components. They are also fairly easy to seal/waterproof, you can even mount switches for various controls(multiple winches, rock lighting and so much more.)--maybe another time) I'm just a fountain of weird, neat, odd and useless shit some times. I should write a book. I also love to recycle electronic stuff. sorry 'bout the hijack Al.

for some reason I couldnt get this to fit into 1 post???
Old 01-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

it messes with the system if you use too many arrows? I'm working on getting the wraith lit up now.
Headlights, markers, tail, brake, was even considering a center third brake light, rock lights, fog lights, bed light, instruments and radios lit up in the dash and console. the dash and console look really good lit up in the dark. i could go on forever right now, but Ill spare you all from my ramblings.

Last edited by envious8420; 01-23-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #39
Rock Stacker

Hi,

years ago I heard a lecture on using LEDs for model train interior lights.

What impressed me is that the actual output (in candela, that's what the mcd rating stands for), aka "brightness" is pretty good already at half their max. current rating (in many cases that would mean 10mA instead of 20mA). Brightness and current are not (fully) proportional, or in other words optical efficiency degrades towards the max operation current.

I use only 100 Ohms resistors for

white LEDs > one
red or amber LEDs > one but the LED in series of two

which after calculation equals to

(5V-3.2V)/100 (V/A)=18mA (white)
(5V-3.8V)/100 (V/A)=12mA (red/amber)

Also helps to keep the number of (different) parts down and in case of accidentially hooking one circuit to the wrong output the LEDs don't burn up.

cheers

braq
braq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #40
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the great write up Heyok. Now lets see if I can get the pics posted...

Tags
led, tutorial, wiring

How to wire LEDs - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wire for LEDs. Mirage Electronics 3 03-16-2012 07:59 PM
Easiest way to wire LEDs in body AdverseCity General Crawlers 3 01-22-2012 09:03 PM
little help with leds please!!! lordjasper1988 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 5 03-09-2011 05:14 PM
Lipo wire smaller than ESC wire..problem? solomon7 Electronics 3 03-27-2008 08:45 PM
how do I wire red LEDs so it will light up during braking? ussprinceton2004 Newbie General 0 03-07-2008 05:33 PM