Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Fried ESC or Motor on SCX24?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2021, 10:20 PM   #1

Default Fried ESC or Motor on SCX24?

My 1st post w/ a question on my 1st car

While modding the SCX24's battery position, the BAT lead was inserted in the MOT port and vice versa. A white/yellow spark and smell of burning ensued.

Troubleshooting a day later, steering works as usual, channel 3 is working (tested with steering), unsure about the headlights/LED, but the throttle is slow or intermittently not working.

Could you help ID what is wrong and what may need a replacement?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Rockiteer; 06-01-2021 at 09:51 AM.
Rockiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2021, 06:40 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Fried ESC or Motor on SCX24?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockiteer View Post
My 1st post w/ a question on my 1st car

While modding the SCX24's battery position, the MOT lead was inserted in the BAT port. A white/yellow spark and smell of burning ensued.

Troubleshooting a day later, steering works as usual, channel 3 is working (tested with steering), unsure about the headlights/LED, but the throttle is slow or intermittently not working.

Could you help ID what is wrong and what may need a replacement?

Thanks in advance.
Maybe fried the ESC's internal BEC? Though u say the servo works, so not sure? Only way to know is to rig up an external BEC, and see if all is well again?

Read-Up! Mod-On! Crawl EXCESSIVELY!
23drumerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 09:43 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
While modding the SCX24's battery position, the MOT lead was inserted in the BAT port. A white/yellow spark and smell of burning ensued.

Something doesn't make sense to me with that statement.

If you plugged the motor lead into the battery port then we have to assume there was no battery plugged in. If there was no battery plugged in what caused the spark/smoke? With no power in the system I don't see how that could've happened?
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 09:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
Something doesn't make sense to me with that statement.

If you plugged the motor lead into the battery port then we have to assume there was no battery plugged in. If there was no battery plugged in what caused the spark/smoke? With no power in the system I don't see how that could've happened?
both wires were swapped
Rockiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 08:16 PM   #5

I'll admit it, I've made the same mistake. Got in a hurry, was distracted and plugged the motor into the battery port on the ESC(causes no damage because there's no current), barely touched the battery wire into the motor port on the ESC and instant spark and smoke show. My ESC was fried, motor was fine(although the stock one's don't last long).

The stock ESC can be found online for ~$25. Just have to tape/strap it down and find the instructions to bind the radio to the new radio/ESC. Doesn't take long.
Bertman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:42 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
both wires were swapped
Aaaah, I see. Thanks for clarifying for me.

Crummy deal, motor is probably ok. Almost definitely popped the ESC though.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 04:51 PM   #7

Another first poster here. Just did the same exact thing! Plugged battery into wrong side of esc. Pop and burn.
Just not sure I’m cut out for the 24th scale. Nothing but trouble for old eyes and fat fingers. May have to stick to 1/10 or even 1/6.
Anyone have a link for the esc needed for axial 1/24
Gobjeepjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 07:45 PM   #8

I'm not sure if it follows the rules to post a direct link to another site for a product, but the name of it is Axial AE-6 and the part number is AXI31620. Seems to be in stock in most places.
Bertman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 08:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertman82 View Post
I'm not sure if it follows the rules to post a direct link to another site for a product, but the name of it is Axial AE-6 and the part number is AXI31620. Seems to be in stock in most places.
Thanks for the part number Bertman, I’ll go hunt it down
Old 07-25-2022, 10:40 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobjeepjt View Post
Another first poster here. Just did the same exact thing! Plugged battery into wrong side of esc. Pop and burn.
Just not sure I’m cut out for the 24th scale. Nothing but trouble for old eyes and fat fingers. May have to stick to 1/10 or even 1/6.
Anyone have a link for the esc needed for axial 1/24
I'm 55 yrs old now and I've got an SCX24. It's certainly a bit frustrating to get in there and fumble around with these screws and components. I try to avoid working on any rigs when my hands/ fingers are too achy. And I try to only mess with it when I'm in a good mood or calm at the least. It's a shame that when I think of my most valuable too these days, it's my glasses! It used to be a dremel or some nifty hex driver or something lol.

And I've been feeling pretty rough lately.. lost a good friend and rc buddy recently and put the rc stuff on the back burner. Not a huge deal but nonetheless, I lost some interest. The onslaught of heat here in Texas hasn't exactly inspired me to want to play outdoors either lol. Besides yard maintenance, Ill be waiting till fall to be outside much.

But RC has always been a thing with me. I've never completely gotten away from it... at least going back to my nitro stadium truck days... late 90's. Got back into it with crawlers around the time that I joined up here. It's been a blast up until the last year or two when times got a little tough and so I took a break.

But recently I started itching again and thought it might be a good time to get back to it to some degree. Following along or just arbitrarily looking into other people's build/ mod threads has helped keep me regain my motivation as well. So I installed a new motor in my TF2 and fabricated a bumper for it. And somewhere into the wrenching, soldering, etc I realized I was having a good time.

Then after too much sugar one night and seeing some other micro crawling videos, I decided that doing some mods to my SCX24 would be a good idea. Boy was I in for a reality check lol! Once I started digging into it, I realized just how tiny that hardware is. But I will say that as long as I'm not being distracted by other responsibilities or priorities, and despite the scx24's size, it's become enjoyable too. Plus I'm a sucker for looking at parts online, as with any hobby I guess. I've also made a mental-note of how easily tiny hardware can be lost when rocketed across a room lol.

But I've purchased some upgrades for my scx24 and I'm stoked! I'm making some aesthetic changes as well... deciding to fabricate an actual grill and headlights/ marker lights to give it some more scale realism. Couple year ago before taking a break, I made/ installed taillights/ brake-lights, door handles, gear shifter, and a few other faux accessories so figured I'd keep challenging myself and do some more. And I'm really happy with not only how the rig is looking now, but also that I still have the ability to do this stuff. It's the Deadbolt model btw.

What can I say? I'm still a kid lol. I'm a 55 year old kid who still likes cartoons and candy bars, and little cars. I can't give that up now! Anyway, this micro stuff really is fun and rewarding if you can manage it... even for those of us that aren't as sharp as we once were and have old-man sausage fingers. I hope you give your scx24 a chance. Replacing that ESC isn't much of a tough job anyway.

Welcome to the community. I know you didn't need to read all of that but it sure felt good to type it.

Quote:
You're fine. You can post the link. Mods can sniff out intentional spamming pretty quick. If it's legit... post it up!
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 12:31 PM   #11

Thank you drifter! I read it all and fall into the exact same boat. So I guess my journey begins on this micro stuff!
I am traveling north to beat the heat and took the 24 with me because it takes up less space on the road. I’ll get better prepared with a travel tool box and better magnification.
Old 07-26-2022, 12:39 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Awesome to hear! And there are definitely some benefits to having a small crawler like this as well... Like you said, transportation is a whole lot easier. Plus storage space, cheaper parts upgrades, and a whole lot more opportunities to quickly build a makeshift course... indoors or out. My 1:10 scale crawlers are no fun in my back yard anymore but my scx24 still has endless places to play out there.

Take care and safe travels!
Old 07-31-2022, 11:44 AM   #13

Quote:

I found the part number ordered and it arrived.
I’m unable to bind the new axial esc to my transmitter.
From my frustrating research it sounds like there are 2 different scx24 options. A horizon hobby version 2in1 esc that pairs to a hh transmitter and an axial brand esc and transmitter.
Also sounds like the 2 are not interchangeable!
So I have the horizon hobby scx24 but ordered the Axial esc.

Any way to pair the hh transmitter to the axial esc?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2022, 11:45 AM   #14

I found the part number ordered and it arrived.
I’m unable to bind the new axial esc to my transmitter.
From my frustrating research it sounds like there are 2 different scx24 options. A horizon hobby version 2in1 esc that pairs to a hh transmitter and an axial brand esc and transmitter.
Also sounds like the 2 are not interchangeable!
So I have the horizon hobby scx24 but ordered the Axial esc.

Any way to pair the hh transmitter to the axial esc?

Old 07-31-2022, 04:57 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Sorry to hear your issue. Not much help here. My scx24 has the Axial tx and rx and esc. Not sure if you could contact HH and see if they'll allow you an exchange or if someone else may be able to help you out here. Hope you get it resolved.
Old 09-03-2022, 04:37 PM   #16

Thanks drifter. Been a long process.
Returned ae-6. Ordered hrz00015. Of course has been on back order but just shipped on Thursday so should have it back running next week.
Hopefully no more stupid mistakes on my part.

Old 09-03-2022, 05:32 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Sure thing. Glad they're back in stock and that you'll be able to have yours up and running again soon. And I believe that if you're not making dumb mistakes in the world of RC's, then you're not doing something right lol. I've made plenty and will surely continue to do so.

I'll hopefully soon be posting up about all that I've done to my scx24 over the past month... once I've got everything completed. It's been an interesting and often frustrating journey but at times therapeutic and overall very satisfying. Gotta say that using a .98 mm drill bit really puts you in touch with your abilities... and your sanity!
Old 10-31-2022, 09:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
my most valuable too these days, it's my glasses!
Dude, I'm right there with you too. Except when even with them I can't quite focus and it's off with the glasses, 2 inches away, my big head probably getting in the way . . .
kistner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor and esc, scx24, scx24 motor

Fried ESC or Motor on SCX24? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX24 ESC Blinking Red, No Power to Motor Timotheus Micro Scale Rigs 5 07-10-2020 07:41 AM
I think I just fried my motor and possibly esc Allmanac Newbie General 5 05-11-2018 06:23 AM
Vanguard Esc fried, will monster 2 esc work? anstead610 Axial Yeti XL 23 06-01-2015 07:14 PM
Motor and Esc questions. FRIED! Thrice4500 Newbie General 5 02-27-2015 12:39 PM
1 Fried ESC + 1 Fried ESC = BRAND NEW ESC nd4spdbh Electronics 6 04-06-2006 02:25 PM