Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: "Help" Spektrum DX4S Mix Programing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Question "Help" Spektrum DX4S Mix Programing

I need help understanding how the Programmable Mix function works.
I'm sure it makes perfect sense to the person who wrote the program, but I keep getting lost. It seems like there are steps within steps, and my feeble mind just can't comprehend.
The instruction manual that comes with this radio, is greatly lacking in the how's and why's of this "Great Feature"
I just need good info so I can set up dual ESCs (Tekin FXRs) with proportional dig.
I don't need any BS about Futaba or Airtronics
TJ Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: "Help" Spektrum DX4S Mix Programing

From what I read in the manual I think you would start by assigning switch A,B,C,D, or E as Mix A.

Set Master as throttle (ESC1), and Slave as Aux1 (ESC2). With switch in 'ON' (A value) position set values to 100%.

With switch in 'OFF' (B value) position set one side value to 0%,the other to 100%. Hopefully this should get you dig on one axle or the other.

Try it and let me know what happens and I will try to help with the rest.

Last edited by KBrog; 01-15-2013 at 07:55 PM.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
RCC Addict

The more I read the manual the more I think that you will only be able to assign rear dig on Mix A on one switch and front dig on Mix B on another switch for dig only, no proportional. I hope Im wrong.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

the way i read it is you can kinda use dig but not fully its almost like 4ws in a way. you can only have one percentage at a time like for dig you could only slow the rear down buy 50%. just my idea. i have read a little more and i think the programmable mix way is the way to go and also it looks like you could change the "trim step" so that it makes it closer to what you want. But i do not have a radio to see if this works so sorry if i am wasting your time. I planed on getting this radio to do the same thing you are doing and if you cant do it i guess im just going to have to get a punk dig.

Last edited by grunt95; 01-15-2013 at 08:26 PM.
grunt95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Updates? Your fans are waiting
Old 01-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

This is the first time in my life that I have had "Fans"
This thing is confusing as hell, but I will do my best to explain what I have done so far.
I have accomplished front dig with being able to increase or decrease the speed of the rear motor from the locked position. Lost yet?
I went to the switch setting and assigned switch A, Mix A.
Then I went to Mixing, and selected Mix A.
This screen I set Master to TH and Slave to AX1, scroll down to Trim: and select Act, scroll to Switch: select A. Then with switch A, select A Value, scroll to the percentages, select by pressing the roller, the box will flash off and on, and set 0% & 0%. Then with switch A in the off position, set B Value 100% & 100%.
Let me stop here and say that when you select percentages by pressing the roller, and the box is flashing, if you pull or push the trigger you can select and adjust forward or reverse individually. (Does not apply here however)
OK, after you have set the percentages, scroll back down to Switch:, select to set, and set to D Mix.
Go back to the List screen, scroll to Switch, select, scroll to D; and set it to Mix A Rate. Before you leave this screen, make sure the A switch is still set to Mix A.
Now go back to the list screen, scroll down to monitor, select.
You can now observe the results of your settings
You will see when switch A is pushed up, the throttle and Auxillery channels opperate together.
When you push down on switch A, the auxillery channel is locked, and the throttle channel opperates as normal. (Front Dig)
If you pull on the trigger while the auxillery is locked, and push down on the D switch the auxillery channel will advance with each click down, and also retard with each click up.
About as clear as mud?
Now, to try to figure out how to get rear dig?
Old 01-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #7

Do the same thing in mix 2 and assign switch, for front dig
rclife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

so did you get rear dig yet and if so is it proportional??
Old 01-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

No rear dig yet.
I tried setting the B Mix with the Aux 1 channel as the master, and the Throttle as the slave, using the B and C switches to control it, but it didn't work. This was at work yesterday and I didn't have time to check it over to see if I had messed up the programing.
I have gotten tired of having to mess with this thing, and was about ready to sell it and buy an Airtronics MT-4. I have decided for now, to keep it at least till I talk to someone at Spektrum.
It is totally unacceptable to have to go through this much crap to figure out how to program this radio, and at the moment I don't think it's possible to get it to opperate like the Airtronics or Futabas. The instructions flat out suck on explaining the Programable Mix function.
You would think Spektrum could have set these up for an easy MOA program. I mean, how hard is it to produce a radio that works a dual ESC set up? Especially after there were numerous people from this forum calling them and asking for it!
Shame on them!!!!
Old 01-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Steve View Post
No rear dig yet.
I tried setting the B Mix with the Aux 1 channel as the master, and the Throttle as the slave, using the B and C switches to control it, but it didn't work. This was at work yesterday and I didn't have time to check it over to see if I had messed up the programing.
I have gotten tired of having to mess with this thing, and was about ready to sell it and buy an Airtronics MT-4. I have decided for now, to keep it at least till I talk to someone at Spektrum.
It is totally unacceptable to have to go through this much crap to figure out how to program this radio, and at the moment I don't think it's possible to get it to operate like the Airtronics or Futabas. The instructions flat out suck on explaining the Programmable Mix function.
You would think Spektrum could have set these up for an easy MOA program. I mean, how hard is it to produce a radio that works a dual ESC set up? Especially after there were numerous people from this forum calling them and asking for it!
Shame on them!!!!
I'm not a Spektrum fan....so take the following with a grain or 2 of salt.

A Futaba 4PL (cheap end) will do what you want. But..... the RX price can be steep.
I also run a hacked GT3B....cheap to get into, cheap RX's for other vehicles.
Ask questions if you want.

From what I've read, Spektrum let down the whole crawler community with their latest offering.

Just saying.

Yes, I understand being able to bind Spektrum RX's to a newer TX.....sometimes you just have to make a jump.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Thought I should do a little more comenting after I cooled down a bit.
I liked my DX3R that I sold to help buy this one, but really wanted a fourth channel. So that's why I kinda jumped the gun and bought this one before I fully understood it's capabilities.
So here's the good................
I really like quite a few things about this radio even though I do think Spektrum let us Crawler guys down.
This radio will work quite well for Scale Trucks, Shafties, and MOA Crawlers with a Dig Unit.
I like the design, the off and on button, the antenna, the backlit screen, the bigger hand grip, the removable battery tray to be able to use a lipo, the extra channel, and the overall feel of the radio, and the SD card slot for updates, which I hope they can come up with something we can download to fix everything they screwed up
Old 01-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

so how is rear dig going?
Old 01-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Are you able to slow the rear axle with the D switch while A switch is pushed up (Both axles running 100%)? Or you have to dig first then speed up the axle? That would not work well if thats the case.

Let us know if you hear anything from Spektrum.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:14 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

So ironically exactly after one year of the last post on this thread I am here to bump it to see if anyone has been able to master running dual esc's with a DX4S? I have only been in this hobby for a year, I live out in the sticks so I don't have any help to call on or any groups, so I too was un-rightfully led down the Spektrum road, and would hate to have to get rid of it for this.
Conflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Steve View Post
I need help understanding how the Programmable Mix function works.
I'm sure it makes perfect sense to the person who wrote the program, but I keep getting lost. It seems like there are steps within steps, and my feeble mind just can't comprehend.
The instruction manual that comes with this radio, is greatly lacking in the how's and why's of this "Great Feature"
I just need good info so I can set up dual ESCs (Tekin FXRs) with proportional dig.
I don't need any BS about Futaba or Airtronics
hi I have the 4ws activated to one of the switches and as far as I can see you do exactly the same for the mix function for drive and dig with either one switch or 2 switches
sorry I did not say I am using 2 servos one for front and the other for the rear and also a second switch set for 3 possisions for the 3 speed gearbox

Last edited by johnm0eou; 12-16-2014 at 11:40 AM.
johnm0eou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 03:46 PM   #16

I came across this thread. My DIG setup with Losi CC and DX4S was simple and straight forward.

Switch -> Button A -> AUX2 3P (which means 3 state switch L/C/R)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wxrK44lqsk
studioab is offline   Reply With Quote

"Help" Spektrum DX4S Mix Programing - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BADDMANS C1 called 50Cal """XR10 up grade""" baddman 1.9 Scale Rigs 21 08-27-2012 11:56 PM
Spektrum RX internal "glitch buster" cap mod simplechamp Electronics 1 06-13-2011 08:23 AM
"Victim" or "V2" a "Country Boy Customs" class 3 Mighty1 2.2 Scale Rigs 10 05-06-2011 10:56 PM