RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   4PL trigger replacement (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/423298-4pl-trigger-replacement.html)

rangercat23 01-16-2013 05:36 PM

4PL trigger replacement

3 Attachment(s)
One of my 4 pl's fell off my desk about 6 months ago, it fell in a fashion that was 1 in 1000 right on the edge of a small box on its trigger, snap.
I called Futaba a couple times ( lack of stock on triggers ) Futaba finally got them in stock, they where gracious enough to send it to me free of charge "thumbsup"

Now that I have it in hand I figured I would do a write up on changing it out, as well as diagnose and fix a faulty back-light.

Now for some pics...

rangercat23 01-16-2013 05:38 PM

Re: 4PL trigger replacement

3 Attachment(s)
First you need to remove the 7 screws from the back, as well as the trigger clamp screw.
Once you have the screws out the case halves will separate (slide apart) might need a little wiggle or two because the LCD has some foam tape on it to seal out debris.

rangercat23 01-16-2013 05:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Once apart, my back-light issue was rather apparent. :shock:

rangercat23 01-16-2013 05:55 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Now onto the trigger replacement...

The trigger housing slides off the main body ( watch your wires )

Once you slide it off, remove the 3 small screws that hold the trigger assembly together.

The cover should pop off with a little wiggle, don't lose the bearing.

After the cover is off I removed the little spring / cantilever device.

Once the cantilever is off, the broken trigger bit slides right off and the new one slides right in place.

Once the trigger is in place SUCCESS! assembly is reverse

rangercat23 01-16-2013 05:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Now to address the loose wire...

A little finesse with the ole soldering iron and BAM! "thumbsup"

C*H*U*D 01-16-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rangercat23 (Post 4128668)
Now that I have it in hand I figured I would do a write up on changing it out, .

Kudos to you for thinking of doing this "thumbsup" Any and all information on the things we do is always appreciated!

Charlie-III 01-16-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C*H*U*D (Post 4128847)
Kudos to you for thinking of doing this "thumbsup" Any and all information on the things we do is always appreciated!

+1, thanks.

As an aside, it looks like the backlight died due to flex stress on the wire. I would likely have added a dab of "ShooGoo" to the leads at the PC board to reduce the stress on the copper.

Glad it worked, thanks for the thread.8)

rangercat23 01-16-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C*H*U*D (Post 4128847)

Thanks!

After a quick search with no results, I felt I should share the adventure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie-III (Post 4128928)
+1, thanks.

As an aside, it looks like the backlight died due to flex stress on the wire. I would likely have added a dab of "ShooGoo" to the leads at the PC board to reduce the stress on the copper.

Glad it worked, thanks for the thread.8)

Anything to help my fellow peers.
Those wires are a tad on the small side, I might have to give them the shoo goo treatment "thumbsup"