Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Need advice on new radio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Need advice on new radio

Looking to upgrade to a 2.4 radio and don't need a "top-of-the-line". Was looking at the Airtronics MX-3 Sport. Any opinions on this? I just have a few RC18's and a couple Losi Minicrawlers...nothing special.
Appreciate the help!
Jigsisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Need advice on new radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsisme View Post
Looking to upgrade to a 2.4 radio and don't need a "top-of-the-line". Was looking at the Airtronics MX-3 Sport. Any opinions on this? I just have a few RC18's and a couple Losi Minicrawlers...nothing special.
Appreciate the help!
With you asking that question, you are already thinking more long term in RC. My suggestion is to look more at the Airtronics MT-4 or Futaba 4PL.

One thing I did (in hindsight) that was very smart. 4 years ago, I was just getting back into crawling and racing, I went ahead and ponied up for a good radio (the 4PK, Got a smoking deal, but still had major buyers remorse), and it has been by-far the best investment that I have made in RC to date. My cars seem to come alive. I have been involved in Mod TC, VTA, Monster Trucks, Racing (1/10 to 1/8 scale), crawling, scaling, and never even began to push the radio.

I think that the two I mentioned are as capable (if not more) than my old 4PK (and cheaper). And I know there are others. If you forsee going on in RC at all, go ahead and invest in a good radio. I know you are saying to yourself, "Does it really make that much of a difference?" Yes, yes, and a resounding yes. The two I mentioned are excellent options, and probably where I would look if I was in the market.

Another (cheaper) option is a Hacked GTSB (I think) from Losikid. I have not used, but have heard really good things.
dentonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I think the question really is "will you own a MOA rig?" If yes, you choice will be limited to higher end model (like 4PL, 4PK, MX12, DX4R...etc), with built-in Dual ESC mix, these are the radio to get, especially the futaba clan, there are so many of us using it, you will have any of the technical question answered in no time.

If you won't have a MOA rig, then I guess, a 3 channel radio is still a good option (for winch ops or 2 speed tranny), I like the look of Sanwa MT-4, but never use one before. It is a 3 channel radio with telemetry function. I have used DX3c and it is pretty good and the rx is pretty cheap. I also used flysky gt3b (not hacked), although the setting is a bit tricky compared to other branded radio, it is pretty good too.... The $10 rx is a big help too if you going to have many rigs.
Colgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Something else to consider when buying a new radio is the amount of vehicles you want to fit out with receivers. This can be the costly end when venturing into a new radio. You mentioned a few RC18 (say 2 or 3) and a couple of Losi micros (2), thats 4 or 5 receivers. With the MX-3 that would be $240 (4 extra receivers) worth of receivers.

If you went the way of (as an example) Futaba 4PL it would only be $140 worth of receivers. This makes spending more money on a better radio worthwhile.

dentonmac also mentioned the Hacked GT3B from Losikid and the great thing about this radio is the price of the receivers. They are so cheap I dont even like to talk about it. I have also tried this radio and didnt like the feel of it in my big hands, personal preference but I would definitely recommend one to someone specially if you wanted to outfit a fleet of vehicles with receivers.
SuperRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #5
Suck it up!

I love my GT3B, and having 5 different vehicles, I love its $10 receivers.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Did you get yours pre hacked from losikid?
How long have you been using it?
What firmware are you running?
Slight derail but I think this is a real good option.
Dostradamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsisme View Post
Appreciate the help!
Looking down the road helps. It will SUCK if you decide to run stuff that needs more channels later (rear steer, winch, dual ESC's, etc) and not have the radio to do it.
I'm a huge Futaba fan (I run a 3PM-s with Wantamix with dual ESC's, my son runs a 4PL) but also run a hacked GT3B.
I'm on firmware 0.4.1 but will be upping it sometime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Which reminds me, I need to get a couple more 4+ channel ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dostradamas View Post
Yes, I got it pre-hacked but also bought a hack kit so I can change the firmware.
I've been running it about a year, quite a few comps and lots of practice time. No issues other than changing TX batteries as I'm still running AA's and haven't done the VR mod yet. Sigh.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #8
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dostradamas View Post
Bought in new and unhacked over a year ago (I think). No idea what firmware it has.

I haven't had the need for anything more over its stock configuration. I did just add a winch to my scaler and could have used a 3pos 3rd channel, but I went with heyOK's controller for that.

The only issue I've had is that I broke the trigger, but that was from slamming on the brakes while racing. I think Losikid has replacements, but I made my own out of delrin.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote

Need advice on new radio - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need radio advice thnefosp Electronics 5 04-04-2012 01:01 PM
Radio Advice DinPerth Electronics 7 03-02-2012 11:12 PM
Need New Radio Advice...Please Help theadrick Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 5 01-23-2010 03:45 PM
Radio advice GEARSCIENCE Electronics 7 09-05-2009 08:51 PM
2.4 radio advice Tbone Newbie General 5 08-14-2009 04:45 AM