Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Want to use your third channel too turn lights on and off?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 01:11 AM   #1

Default Want to use your third channel too turn lights on and off?

For all of you who have bought a three channel radio and plugged your lights in and presto... no on/off for your lights.

I know pics would be easier to follow but my desktop is down so I'm doing this from a tablet so no pics sorry but I will do my best to explain.

What you'll need:
Soldering iron and solder
Old servo
Light controller ( I used an axial light controller )
Lights ( axial lights that came with controller )
Two resistors ( I used two 2.2 m ohm resistors don't know why but it felt right, if your better with electronics you can figure out something better and comment

Why can't you just plug lights into your rx and turn them on and off? Leds have no signal wire just a positive and negative wire. So you need a "switch" that can receive a signal. That's where the old servo comes into play.

Now you could pay ten to twenty dollars on a turnigy or heyok receive light switch or you canmake your own.

Alright first you need to disassemble your servo. Take the electronics board out and cut the wires off the motor. There should be a red black and white wire. You can completely remove the white wire. Take your light controller and cut off the servo plug. Now solder the black andred wire from the light controller to the old motor wires. Black to black red to red.

Next, cut off the "pot" on the servo circuit board. This is a part that has three stiff wires hanging off of it. ( should be the only other noticeable part on the circuit board other than the motor). Now take your resistor and solder one end to one of the outside stiff wires, and the other end to the middle stiff wire. Now take your second resistor and solder one end to the middle stiff wire and the other end to the last stiff wire. Now I'm not sure if it matters but I made sir the color bands on the resistors lined up. For example from left to right the color band should read: first resistor, gold, brown, red. Second resistor: gold brown red. Just an example but you should get my point.

Finally you should be left with the servo lead from the old servo. This gets plugged into the third channel of your rx and your leds get plugged into your light controller.

Now you have a functional on off switch for your lights on your nice expensive three channel transmitter.

Hope that this tutorial is easy enough to follow without pics. I am an electrical dunce and I was able to do it so don't feel like you can't.

Good luck hope this is helpfull
atrain20210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2013, 02:50 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Want to use your third channel too turn lights on and off?

now i have a dumb question is not the white wire a singnal wire so there for how would that work if u cut the white wire out of the old servo would love to do this for my wraith as i have a few old servos kickin round. yea im a newb to some eletrionics thanks
tdevilman2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:08 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I had to read it a few times, but it sounds like he is saying to remove the white wire going to the motor not from the connector that plugs into the receiver.
rm25x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:04 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

yea but he is talking about a red/black/white wire to completly remove the white on all my servos the motor has just a black an red. the input is the olny wire with red/black/white
tdevilman2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #5

Yeah I'm talking about the wires from circuit board to the motors. If there is no white wire your a step ahead. Remember the two motor wires power the lights directly. The signal from your radio comes from the servo lead.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Or just use an old micro ESC.
arthurc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Since we are talking about this, you can actually use the servo board to turn on two different light circuits. Because LEDs are polarity sensitive and the servo circuit output can reverse its polarity (it can drive a dc motor one direction or the other), so connect two leds in opposite polarity and you can light up one or the other depending which direction you throw the servo signal.

Last edited by heyok; 01-25-2013 at 02:36 PM.
heyok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyok View Post
Since we are talking about this, you can actually use the servo board to turn on two different light circuits. Because LEDs are polarity sensitive and the servo circuit output can reverse its polarity (it can drive a dc motor one direction or the other), so connect two leds in opposite polarity and you can light up one or the other depending which direction you throw the servo signal.

Heyok, do you make anything like that?
Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super View Post
Heyok, do you make anything like that?
I do make something that will turn on two lighting circuits but you can chose to have one, the other or both on at the same time.
It's not free though
Dual RC Switch for LED lighting or ?

There's also the park/head light switch
Park Lights, Head Lights switch
Old 01-25-2013, 05:42 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I do make something that will turn on two lighting circuits but you can chose to have one, the other or both on at the same time.
It's not free though
Dual RC Switch for LED lighting or ?

There's also the park/head light switch
Park Lights, Head Lights switch

Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Quick question: If I wire two light strips to the servo motor lead, one strip has red on "right" terminal and black on "left" terminal, can the second strip be wired opposite(red on "left" and black on "right") without blowing the other light strip?

I hope that made sense.

Thanks in advance.

*edit* I meant the servo board, not the servo motor lead. (might be considered the same)
RusT808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:59 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I think I understand you.

Just have to put it in my words...

The servo board output wires will feed the two sets of lights. The lights each have a red and black. Connect red from light one light to black of light two. Connect black from light one to red of light two. Now connect these to the servo board output wires.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:03 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Thanks you, that answers my question.
RusT808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I have a HeyOK controller in my EXO, and I think its just downright badass to do the lights via the transmitter.

He makes some very awesome products and he is affordable. Not as cheap as a busted servo, but much smaller and easier to conceal.
arthurc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:19 PM   #15

Actually I used an old stock axial servo and its only just a bit bigger than your thumb nail. Not trying to step on heyoks toes heard great things. Considered buying a few of his things. But there is nothing like the satisfaction of making something yourself
Old 01-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

This thread desperately needs pictures
discgolferlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #17

I know sorry my computer is broken and I don't know how to upload photos on a tablet

Want to use your third channel too turn lights on and off? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about 4th channel for lights. mrtucker80 Electronics 4 01-01-2013 12:40 AM
Lights on a wraith with no channel available ?? bbking9 Electronics 3 12-29-2011 09:29 AM
Ever use one of those ebay LED kits for turn signals/brake lights? GWEEDZ Scale Accessories 2 08-29-2011 06:58 PM
Can I turn lights on/off @ radio on ch. 3? wetvettetom Tamiya CR-01 8 05-03-2011 03:07 PM