Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Pretty sure i killed my battery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Pretty sure i killed my battery

I have a Venom 5400 mah 11.1v 3 cell 20c battery that I was using in my slash. Broke the slash a bit and neglected to put the battery on charge to put it in the winterized mode. Went to charge it and the charger said voltage error. I'm using a duratrax lipo charger and it is set properly for the battery. Is there a way for me to bring it back to life or am I looking at a new battery?
KryptoniteKummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
Scale Detail Engineering

Default Re: Pretty sure i killed my battery

I have tried the "charge as nimh trick" and it worked to get the voltage up high enough to charge but...
after a few cycles, it burst into flames while on the charger... not worth it man!
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

yeah i was thinking of trying that but because it has the equalizer plug on it i didn't want to tempt fate. Looks like i'll be going to the hobby store, peachy lol
Old 01-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I had a venom 5400 go bad too. mine worked once, my charger was shit. said it charged it, but did not. took it back to the store both the bat and charger. both were bad. battery had 7 ish volts on one cell and .3v on the other. The store said I had to deal with venom's warranty service, but let me return the charger I got a much nicer charger. venom has a one year no questions asked replacement policy, I emailed their claims dept, and they sent me the procedure to get a new bat.
Basically, take pics of your battery with a volt meter plugged into each cell and a pic of the receipt. emailed those back to me and they sent me a new bat, they were super easy to deal with. You can also send your bat to them to test but why bother.
contact them you will be happy with the outcome, they got back to me by the next business day,and are very agreeable on the phone
I hope this helps, good luck
2.slowduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the info duo, unfortunately this battery came with my slash that i bought used so i don't have the receipt. I'm going to buy a new one today i hope and i'll have the receipt for the new one for the future. But it's good to know that they do that for you.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #6
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoniteKummins View Post
Thanks for the info duo, unfortunately this battery came with my slash that i bought used so i don't have the receipt. I'm going to buy a new one today i hope and i'll have the receipt for the new one for the future. But it's good to know that they do that for you.
I got tired of buying expensive lipo's just to puff them and have to replace them so I buy the cheapies now.
Value Hobby R/C Hobby Store (Bensenville, Illinois): 2S LiPO - 7.4V - Batteries - Power

There's a few other places that sell cheap lipo's.
I've had good luck with these so far.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

give them a ring anyway, they may help you out. If it is more than a year old they will discount the same battery for you as well. also if you have a good report with your lhs they may "make" you a receipt. its worth a try, I think venoms discount was 30%
2.slowduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:14 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Thanks i'll check them out!
Old 01-25-2013, 09:37 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I bought a brand new venom and got the same error at first charge. I charged it at .5 amps on Nimh mode for just a few minutes and monitored the volts. I switched to Lipo mode and it charged perfectly and has ever since. Worth a shot. Just charge at low amp
mcap is offline   Reply With Quote

Pretty sure i killed my battery - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
killed a battery and some time today with my SCX10 iamsuperbleeder Videos! 0 10-22-2011 08:23 PM
i think i just killed my Lipo battery? ZackMicF Electronics 5 10-13-2011 11:03 PM
Novak Rooster Killed my Lipo battery? roosterkill Electronics 35 09-04-2009 12:48 PM
I think i killed my moped... pbfrk4life Electronics 7 06-11-2007 04:35 AM
Help!Help! I think I killed it SouthernHighLife4x4 General Crawlers 11 06-04-2006 09:48 PM