Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: punk dig or duel ESC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #1

Default punk dig or duel ESC?

so im going to do a comp crawler build and i need the opinion of the pros out there. Punk dig system, Duel ESC, or ??? I would like it if you where able to put your opinion and why, but if you just put your opinion I will not all caps you. LOL
Zasvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: punk dig or duel ESC?

I have run both, running a Punk dig works good but you will have to compensate with different size pinion gears front to rear to correct the stall from the motors. If you are running a 3ch radio and plan to for a while this is a good way to go keeping it simple and inexpensive.

For MOA...running dual ESC's is the best way to go with a 4ch radio. running this set up you can more or less run each motor independent. Most people over drive the front axle....Fine, you can add more power to the front motor with the push of a button. Running two ESC's makes everything more adjustable. This is the way to go if you are very serious and this setup is endlessly adjustable......on the fly.
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #3

Thank you that was what i was looking for. A great answer.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:40 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I ran a "servo dig", not a Punk Dig, it was OK but limited in operation. I only needed a single ESC which kept cost down but needed different pinions to deal with "clod stall".
I then switched to a WantAmix (from LosiKid/OverkillRC on this forum) and then had dig and basic front/rear proportional which gave more control with dual ESC's. I also went to "same tooth count" pinions. The WantAmix is ~$40.
HeyOK makes a similar, to the WantAmix, controller for dual ESC's.

This was all done on a Futaba 3PM-X 3 channel radio.

I ended up with a hacked GT3B (up to 8 channels) and dual ESC's which is even better. Cost of the radio (hacked) is ~$75 & additional RX's are ~$8.

I believe HeyOK has more options for controlling dual ESC's on a 3 channel radio, depending on what you have.

So, a lot depends on what radio you currently have whether it's better/cheaper to go one route vs. another route.

In terms of MOA crawling, I would go for dual ESC's and a correct radio that can do throttle mixing.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Thank you for the mention, Charlie-III. I don't actually have any parts for controlling dual ESCs. Maybe one day I will build something but the WantAmix seems to have that covered.
I do however make an alternative to the Punk Dig.
A recent customer just told me a story how he got "shafted" by trying to buy from the Punk outfit. Sounds like he lost his money.

These are the dig offerings I have:

MOA Dig Controller for Three Position Channel

MOA Dig Controller for Two Position Channel

Dual ESCs are so much better to control your MOA rig, but if you can't run them, one of the above dig controllers will get you going until you can afford dual ESCs.
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #6

Thank you all I have a Futuba 4PL. It offers mixing so im going to go with duel ESCs. Thank you for the helpful explanations.

PS could be a good sticky

punk dig or duel ESC? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stock ESC + Punk Dig? crawlHTX Redcat Crawlers 7 06-09-2011 08:23 PM