Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: what gives..burned up 2 HH motors and a cheapy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 06:08 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default what gives..burned up 2 HH motors and a cheapy

killed a 35t integy playing with timing in 3 batts so got a HH....
I got a HH 16t hand wound no timing adjust. play and didnt use a 16t pinion burned it up 3 runs ,brushes and comm
got a 21t HH handwound burned the brushes in 1.5 runs found the brush on 1 side catching and not seating righht fiddled and it seated and a hlf run w/ 4s and no brushes.
Now i have a HH 35t coming and am hoping i dont kill it in 1 run.
how long does a tipical brushed motor run for yall? i went from rock crawler to trail bash and have killed 3 motors in 2 months
have had the same integy 45t on my crawler for 2 yrs. going nuts help.
panama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2013, 07:08 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: what gives..burned up 2 HH motors and a cheapy

Are you running them in water/mud or sand?
Also, are the motors getting hot? If you're overgeared (for speed) you WILL cook any motor quickly.

I run Holmes & Br00d motors (35T) on 3S, I run lots of packs through them with minimum service.
These are in 2.2 MOA's that weigh in around 5lbs.

What rig?
What gearing?
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

is your gear mesh too tight??
discgolferlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I never have had any luck with hh motors, I run tekin 35t and they last forever. But there are others who have great luck with hh. What is your gearing?
ickabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Gear mesh is good. Scx10 5-6 lb.
16,,87 3&4s.
Have a 2nd scx10 26/87 no heat issue 3-4s cheapo 35t
Im stumpt
Old 02-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I really think you're expecting too much from what you're running. Your other thread here: Hot motors!! help mentions running 26t pinions with 35t motors and now you're trying to run 16t and 21t motors with 19t - 16t pinions on 3s and 4s. These combos will ALWAYS result in excessive heat buildup.

If you're looking for crazy wheel speed with your current electronics I would HIGHLY recommend looking into a two speed stransmission like the one from the Traxxas Summit.
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:02 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I have 6 rigs with HH motors in them. I run 32p gears in all of them. I run anywhere from 56/9-56/12 depending on the weight and turn of the motor.
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Had a left over 27-turn from stock off road racing days(trinity paradox)when I started scaling, it lasted almost two years. Got a Holmes 27-turn pro for up coming goat hill challenge last year. Got about 6-8 runs out of it 4200 and 5000
MAH 8.4 volt sticks, geared from conservative to a jogging pace but never got motor or speed control to warm to hold against my face. Got great performance out of this puppy but brushes did go away fast. Know guys who run lipo who swore off Holmes stuff cause brushes would be gone in 2 long runs on 3s.
The brushes are sticks of butter, no doubt about it. I've been running brushed stuff for 15+years in dusty dirty conditions. Mostly modifieds 9-12 turns that I paid like 35 bucks for and they would last longer than this. Regardless I'm a brushed guy and will continue to buy Holmes stuff for scaling. My advice is buy armature and add some trinity brushes from eBay and some lighter brush springs. Also brushed and 3-4s just don't = longevity.
RiceBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #9
RCC Addict

I have 16t Crawl Masters that are going strong after 3 years of 3s. Don't know why so many people are having issues with the HH motors. I've also had a 20T Crawl Master in my Wraith for 6 months with 0 issues, and it weighs 9.5lbs
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Asked around to locals bout these before I purchased and got mixed reviews from positive like crawler nut's to not so positive like original post. Maybe brush material and spring rates vary widely, ?.
RiceBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:46 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

thanks folks ...... still lost. i will keep trying and burning and end up with a brushless more than likely. doing a wreckluse build and dont want to keep going in to it,
i will look at the other Wrecks and see what they are runnuing,. Brxl with??? going to try the tekin35t next. And ITY BITY's idea
Old 02-15-2013, 06:14 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Have you asked Holmes about your set up? I run a 35T HH motor and after many hours on the trail I decided I should probably change brushes. I pulled them out and they looked just fine. Cleaned everything put it back together and running strong still. That was mostly on 2s with a few 3s runs. Of course I got almost 2 years out of my stock Axial 27T motor, which still worked when I replaced it. Maybe I'm just easy on motors though.
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:39 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

I run a Losi NC, which i know is like comparing apples to oranges, but the worm drive is much harder on brushed motors. I havent had an issue with my HH Crawlmaster its a 16 turn and ive put about a dozen rough 3s runs on it and it still is performing like it was fresh out of the box with very little heat buildup. I would check everything thats making the motors work harder. Wheels cranked on too tight, seized/un-lubricated bearings, gear mesh etc. There is no denying if you run a really hot gearing set up on a brushed motor, its going to take a beating, but even this sounds like youre burning em up way too fast. Might be time like you said for something brushless, hopefully you can figure this out though...... Good luck
SHOtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #14
RCC Addict

sounds more like user error. I run nothing but holmes motors and never had a problem with any and 2 of them are over 2yrs old. It really does sound like you have it over geared.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I'm seeing that the sweet spot is 17/87 for this truck. It seems nice with 3s.. 4s was cool tho for sure. save those bats for a BL, if i want more wheel speed then go BL. this scx10 is a little heavy and the wheels have the red spacers and the wheels arefull offset, and steel drv shafts probably a lot of mass to move. Doing a lot of loose sand hill climbing and trails. trail bashin is new . crawler mostly till lately.

I'm going BL my Wreck -build and a 2 speed..yep i hope it fits
Old 02-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I run a 35t HH pro in my 8lb scx. 16/87 on 3s for scale comps an 4s for g6 an trail runs.. ran it like this all season. Lots an lots of trail runs with my son during hikes.. one day was 2 miles in to the crawl spot. Ran it on 4s the whole way without issue. Never replaced brushes..
I have HH motors in half a dozen rigs.. never much a issue with brushes..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:23 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by panama View Post
I'm seeing that the sweet spot is 17/87 for this truck. It seems nice with 3s.. 4s was cool tho for sure. save those bats for a BL, if i want more wheel speed then go BL. this scx10 is a little heavy and the wheels have the red spacers and the wheels arefull offset, and steel drv shafts probably a lot of mass to move. Doing a lot of loose sand hill climbing and trails. trail bashin is new . crawler mostly till lately.

I'm going BL my Wreck -build and a 2 speed..yep i hope it fits
loose sand hill climbing plus some crazy gearing and they will burn up every time any brushed motor will in those conditions
TrickyRicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #18
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Wanted to reply to a few comments in here to ensure full information for the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ickabob View Post
I never have had any luck with hh motors, I run tekin 35t and they last forever. But there are others who have great luck with hh. What is your gearing?
If you are running the machine wound Tekin motors, it will wear longer because it has a higher resistance. The Handwound Tekin motors are very similar to ours in build. We use a larger wire size, Tekin uses laydown brushes. Otherwise the build is nearly identical. All in all there is not a quality difference or build difference that would make one last longer than the other. One big reason why I carry Tekin products too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler nut View Post
I have 16t Crawl Masters that are going strong after 3 years of 3s. Don't know why so many people are having issues with the HH motors. I've also had a 20T Crawl Master in my Wraith for 6 months with 0 issues, and it weighs 9.5lbs
Issues are seen because of the number in use. We are passing 25,000 brushed motors in the world with my name on it, the likelyhood of 10 or 100 people posting bad luck with my motors is very high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceBurner View Post
Asked around to locals bout these before I purchased and got mixed reviews from positive like crawler nut's to not so positive like original post. Maybe brush material and spring rates vary widely, ?.

Brush composition and spring rate is the same on all motors, except the Twin Hammers TorqueMaster build and about 100 original TM sports. The installation and trigger fingers are the big variable I can't account for!

To the OP-
Gear the rig low, ensure timing is 6 degrees to 12 degrees for 3s, and for 4s use bump timing up to 20 degrees. Not much else that can be done except to stay out of sand and water, use cheap motors, or go brushless.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

John makes a great product and a good point. For trail bashing and the wheel speed you are lookin for you should look into brushless FOR SURE, you will be so happy you did. A good sensored motor will give you some good low and ass kickin wheel speed for wheel spinnin fun! Tons of power, super easy rebuild
trig n tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

i am getting a 16t and brxl ordered next Friday just because of the number of positive reviews i have read the only time i have read anything about failures from johns motors is when it is owners fault. i just had a chance to buy a fxr this past week for 40 bucks and turned it down. i am convinced i will be happy with Holmes hobby
mark32 is offline   Reply With Quote

what gives..burned up 2 HH motors and a cheapy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Got Burned On ebay WestTxRc Chit Chat 27 12-19-2011 05:42 AM
Anyone else get Burned Out once in a while? Krakker Chit Chat 35 03-25-2011 09:13 AM
Another cheapy-cam video with truck chase Froshmasta Scale Videos! 1 04-04-2010 06:05 AM
Got my cheapy cr-01 finished from tower vdubman Tamiya CR-01 6 12-21-2008 06:22 AM