Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: I'm thinking of getting a lipo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2007, 10:33 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes View Post
If it is indeed 20C it would work pretty well for a 55t motor. I am a bit suspect of the discharge rate though, because of the physical size and MAH.
Thanks John,

That was pretty much what I was thinking. For $20.00 I'll get one and try it out.

Tom
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2007, 10:38 PM   #22
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

$20, cant hurt to try. Even if it was 15C it would most likely work.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 11:50 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes View Post
$20, cant hurt to try. Even if it was 15C it would most likely work.

It works awesome. It has alot of punch and a decent amount of run time. The size is great and it really helps lighten the BMVII.

Tom
Old 05-06-2007, 12:02 PM   #24

Where did you get this pack for $20? Sounds like a good deal. Are there any 3S (11.1V) packs available?

Regards,
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer4Life View Post
Okay... I am buying one of these packs below for my Son's Rc 18. I was wondering if it would work in a TLT? It the same size as a 2/3 A 6 cell pack.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=VNR1571

Don't mind the price. I get it a lot cheaper than what is listed.

Thanks
JetskiMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:52 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

I've been in the business for 5+ years and have tested many many many Nimh/Lipo cells, and the only brands I recommend are:

Pollyquest
Polly R/C
Thunder power
Hyperion
Apex

Anything else is outdated or over-rated.

We have some Pollyquest specials going on right now:

http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/mai...owlipos&sale=Y
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:27 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetskiMark View Post
Where did you get this pack for $20? Sounds like a good deal. Are there any 3S (11.1V) packs available?

Regards,
Mark
I get dealer pricing from my hobbyshop.

Looks like Chris has some good deals on those Pollyquests. To bad you dont have any of those 2S 3100 packs. Great prices!
Old 05-31-2007, 05:51 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Default I'm thinking of getting a lipo

What lipo setup would be a good match for a 10 lb super class crawler running a Hyperion 3025-8 brushless motor, Mamba Maxx, locked diffs with 4.3:1 gears, Moab XL's, 17" wheelbase, 4ws, etc. Not sure on spur/pinion sizes yet (Twin Force tranny).
BeeRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:39 PM   #28

What is your budget, and what space do you have to mount it?
Old 05-31-2007, 09:14 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Default I'm thinking of getting a lipo

Thanks John.

Budgets' not really an issue. I'm planning to mount the cells on the center skid along with the tranny. You hit the nail on the head asking how much space I have available to mount them. I'm holding up on finalizing the design size of the skid just for the reason you mentioned. Once I can determine a size range for the lipo's, then I can allow for them on the skid design. I'm hoping to keep the battery/skid size as compact as possible/reasonable. I may use a prebuilt pack or I may go with a custom built pack (or separate packs if needed.) Just need to determine cell sizes first, depending on what the final battery choice is. Then I can finalize the skid size and get the batteries ordered (from you I hope.)

Thanks again.
BeeRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:31 PM   #30

Browse the batter section for cheap and large cells on my website. I have some others I am testing that are smaller, they are 2100mah cells. They have worked well so far.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:57 PM   #31

I've noticed most crawlers use high voltage, low capacity Li-po batteries. Do I really need 11.1 volts for crawling or will 7.4 work just fine? What are the benefits of running 11.1vdc. Obviously you'll get more power, but why would you want alot of horsepower on something that is already low geared and uses a high torque motor? Is it a size and packaging thing?

I'm still waiting to build my first crawler, well assemble my first crawler I should say, it's an Axial AX10 chassis. I've ordered the newest Novak Crawler brushless(cintered) system also. I already have a few Team Orion Carbon Edition Li-po car packs and would like to use them for my crawler. Will these work as good as anything else? They are 2S-1P 3200mah at 7.4vdc with a 15c discharge rate.

Also, I couldn't find any info on how much voltage the Novak brushless Crawler system can handle. Any info about how much voltage this system can handle would be great. Thanks.
Nuclear Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:38 PM   #32

To make is short and sweet, you can only run a 2 cell lipo with the novak system so no need to worry beyond that.

The longer answer of why most people use low capacity high voltage lipo has a few answers. For one, it is not much of a weight or size penalty to run a 3 cell vs a 2 cell pack. If you run a 9 cell nimh vs a 6 cell it adds a good bit of weight and size to the pack. The benefit of running higher voltage is more power, in a nutshell. You can gear lower and get more torque with no penalty of runtime to speak of, or you can keep the gearing the same and have more wheelspeed with less runtime. Why would somebody want more power? Some people are just nutcases I guess

The team orion packs are awesome btw, top notch Kokam cells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear Fallout View Post
I've noticed most crawlers use high voltage, low capacity Li-po batteries. Do I really need 11.1 volts for crawling or will 7.4 work just fine? What are the benefits of running 11.1vdc. Obviously you'll get more power, but why would you want alot of horsepower on something that is already low geared and uses a high torque motor? Is it a size and packaging thing?

I'm still waiting to build my first crawler, well assemble my first crawler I should say, it's an Axial AX10 chassis. I've ordered the newest Novak Crawler brushless(cintered) system also. I already have a few Team Orion Carbon Edition Li-po car packs and would like to use them for my crawler. Will these work as good as anything else? They are 2S-1P 3200mah at 7.4vdc with a 15c discharge rate.

Also, I couldn't find any info on how much voltage the Novak brushless Crawler system can handle. Any info about how much voltage this system can handle would be great. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:24 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

I have a super rooster and I was told ( by you) that I could run a 2 or 3 cell li-po, But now you are telling me different??

Last edited by jevyguy; 08-07-2007 at 03:27 PM.
jevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:16 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevyguy View Post
I have a super rooster and I was told ( by you) that I could run a 2 or 3 cell li-po, But now you are telling me different??
You can with a super rooster, but you need a voltage cutoff or timer to keep you from over discharging the pack.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:28 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

K- that is good, cause the battery and voltage cutoff are already on the way. Thanks again fr the help
jevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:47 PM   #36
[HOONIGAN]

So would a 10c 1100mah 3s Polyquest battery be good for a comp sw3?
I'm running a mamba 25, bm9, 12t pinion, 86t spur, xx tranny.
I'm trying to make it as light as possible and help on start ups. Sometimes right now it won't start up if I'm on a really steep climb if I've started rolling backwards. This is the biggest thing I'm trying to fix since nats are coming up. Is the 10c not enough? It's one of the batts Cheapbatterypacks.com has on sale.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:01 PM   #37
RCC Addict

Steve:
I saw 2 lipo fires this w/e!!! ...

One was in a p/u's bed, & the other was under the hood of a p/u...

It was ALL I needed to see (& hear), to know I'll NEVER use one of these in my trucks!

Good Luck though!
raytard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:09 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytard View Post
Steve:

It was ALL I needed to see (& hear), to know I'll NEVER use one of these in my trucks!

Good Luck though!
I also seen the Lipos go up in flames . I have alway been scared of them , now even more .
Badd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:21 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytard View Post
Steve:

Good Luck though!

He later found out that the charger was the problem not the battery. They still exploded but it wasn't the batteries fault.
RXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:40 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecker View Post
So would a 10c 1100mah 3s Polyquest battery be good for a comp sw3?
Thats really tiny. That only gives you 10 amps continuous. If you were to stall out your motor for any period of time you would probably flatline the battery and hit the voltage cutoff.

I would recommend a 1300 15C battery at the smallest.