Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: I'm thinking of getting a lipo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2006, 10:27 PM   #1
TEAM MODERATOR

Default I'm thinking of getting a lipo

I've been looking around at some. I'm wanting 11 volts so I can buy tires more often I don't know what all the numbers that go along with lipo mean. I've been doing some searching lately about lipo's. I'm not quite sure I understand what the 10C,20C,15C,18C.......Whats this _ _C mean? I'm just figuring a pack with 2000mah or higher would be what I'd want.

I read that some companies say striaght out that there packs have the fail safe deal. So they don't charge to fast and don't dump to fast. This fail safe thingy.....I NEED IT. Would this fail safe kindly give a guy a little security that his battery won't explode,that is if the batteries aren't damaged from playing baseball with them. Do all the newer lipo's have the fail safe reguardless?

What do you guys think of these......

Hyperion LiteStorm 2200 VX

Great Planes LiPo 2100mAh 11.1V

Great Planes LiPo 11.1V 2100mAh

GWS 11.1V 2200mAh

Integy 20C 2200mAh 11.1V

Venom 20C 11.1V 2100mAh

Theres a ton more that I've found,some of the specs though,I'm not really sure of them so it's kindly confusing.

Last edited by Reflection; 09-05-2006 at 10:29 PM.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2006, 03:12 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

If a 2200 mah pack is rated for 10C, it means it can handle 22 amps continuous draw. (2.2 x 10 = 22). A 1500 mah pack rated for 18C can handle 27 amps. (1.5 x 18 = 27).

All lipo packs can be charged at a maximum of 1C. For a 2200 mah pack rated for 10C, the maximum for charging would be 2.2 amps.

I would stay away from Venom batteries, they all seem to be off lesser quality. Thunder Power, Poly Quest, and Max Amps all seem to be good companies for lipo batteries.
Cubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 03:24 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubman
If a 2200 mah pack is rated for 10C, it means it can handle 22 amps continuous draw. (2.2 x 10 = 22). A 1500 mah pack rated for 18C can handle 27 amps. (1.5 x 18 = 27).

All lipo packs can be charged at a maximum of 1C. For a 2200 mah pack rated for 10C, the maximum for charging would be 2.2 amps.

I would stay away from Venom batteries, they all seem to be off lesser quality. Thunder Power, Poly Quest, and Max Amps all seem to be good companies for lipo batteries.
What about that gws one? That things cheap! But are you getting what you pay for?
Full Penetration Fab. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 04:27 PM   #4
I'm a stupid C U N T!

one of the best lipo packs i found are thunderpower. i use them in everything, my crawler, planes heli, my xxx buggy. there great and my 3c 2100 is rated at 15c 24 burst 31.5 amp-50amp. no not all lipos have failsaifs built in. most ive seen dont at all unless there designed especialy for cas in which case ther 7.4v anyway. there is a few compants that sell voltage cutoff's that will shut down you esc if your bettery level getas to low but your esc has to have a built in low voltage cutoff of its own. most car esc's dont. If you run something sdesignrd for lipo like a mamba or quark esc you will be safe. As a side note you must make sure your charger is designed for lipo-ion too or you will explode napalm all over everything
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:00 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatusZuk
What about that gws one? That things cheap! But are you getting what you pay for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Hobbies
GWS LiPo batteries can be discharged at continuous currents of around 6C
The GWS pack would only provide 13.2 continuous amps, not enough for anything except a 1/18th scale truck.
Cubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:52 PM   #6

I run LiPos and brushless motors in all my electric cars, boats and planes. They are very addictive. In my Clod Stick and my SW2 TLT, I run Thunder Power 2000 Pro-lite 11.1V packs (and the previous generation 1900 mAh) and Holmes Hobbies Revolver motors. I like the compact size and shape of these packs. I have had good luck with these packs and they also fit in my Mini-T and Mini-LST (I actually had these packs before I built the crawlers).

http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php?productid=5&cat=0&page=1

http://www.b-p-p.com/proddetail.php?...%23TP2000_11.1

All the usual LiPo precautions apply. They are not for kids or anyone who is careless or inattentive.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209187

Regards,
Mark
JetskiMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 01:32 AM   #7
Nope..

This is like reading Chinese. It's just too damn complicated. I like the thought of the super light packs and crazy power and run times, but I just don't understand everything about them and don't like the thought of blowing up my house.

But, I'm starting to understand. So, I have two questions.

A. Will a HV-Maxx handle Li-po?

B. Will the 11 volt Li-po be better than 14.4volts from 2, 6 cell stick packs?

Last edited by Brainstain; 09-07-2006 at 12:32 PM.
Brainstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:18 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Just about any esc should be able to run lipo packs, as long as you stay within the voltage rating of the esc. All the esc see's is the power comming in.
Because I dont fully understand all the fancy lipo stuff my self. I was looking at the Team Orion and Peak racing 4800mah lipo packs, or the Kokam packs. I just dont know if I can bring my self to spend that much for one battery. And I can never just buy one.
nktrnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:44 PM   #9
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubman

O.K. Thanks for the info. I know with sub C cells you'll typically want to buy higher mah ratings and get better performance with a higher mah cell. The way I understand it,as long as both cells get a good full charge and don't false peak,a GP 3300 cell will SMOKE a GP1100 cell. Is this true with lipo's?

I found these by Thunder power,would any of these be any count?

Thunder Power Pro-lite 2100 11.1v

Thunder Power Extreme Series 2070mah 11.1v

I'm gonna look around a bit more and see if I can find a few more to pick from. Thanks for the info guys,keep it coming
Old 09-08-2006, 12:28 AM   #10
Nope..

The way I understand it though, a 2200 mah Li-po will smoke a GP3300 in run time. There was a guy running a truck with a 1650-2100 Li-po, I think in a TLT, and he was getting like 2 hour run times before the battery even started dieing.
Brainstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:30 PM   #11
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambuller84
The way I understand it though, a 2200 mah Li-po will smoke a GP3300 in run time. There was a guy running a truck with a 1650-2100 Li-po, I think in a TLT, and he was getting like 2 hour run times before the battery even started dieing.

I know a lipo will smoke a sub C in runtime. My question though was to find out if you wanna shop for a higher mah lipo for better results. For excample,say a 1500 mah lipo will smoke a GP3300 stick pack in runtime and power. Take a 2100 mah lipo and put it up against that same 1500 mah lipo. Will there be a big jump in power/runtime,one or the other or both? Will it be enough to be worth an extra 25 30 bucks?

Sorry if my last post was misleading
Old 09-11-2006, 07:52 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

mAH is mAH, doesn't matter what the source is. You may think a 2100 3S lipo has more capacity than a 3300 7.2 sub-C pack, but it only has more voltage. You get more runtime out of it because you don't have to use all that voltage to get the same speed you do from the 7.2. So the 7.2 runs down quicker even though it has more capacity. After running for an hour, the 7.2 pack will be down around 5 volts, totally dumped, while the lipo will still have 9 volts in it. Technically this is totally dumped as well, but it's still got more punch because of the higher voltage. I'd be surprised if a 3S lipo with a proper cutoff will really outlast a 3300 sub-C pack. Unless*

A 2200 lipo will outlast an 1100 lipo by a factor of 2:1.

The one thing to watch with lipos is the cutoff voltage. Get the FMA Direct voltage cutoff, and set it for your lipo (2s or 3s, whatever). It will prevent the pack from going below 3.0 volts/cell, which is the damage point with lipos. If you're using a Mamba, you won't need it, just set the voltage cutoff on the Mamba and you're good to go.

*unless you get into 2P packs. Up til now you've been looking at series packs which increase voltage. 2S is 7.4, 3S is 11.1. When you increase the number of packs in parallel, you double the pack's capacity. Example:

2100 cells in 3S2P configuration= 4200 mAh, 11.1V. The big-scale airplane guys will assemble lipos the size of cinder blocks to get their giant-scale planes up. I've seen some freaky combos, like 5S3P or 5S4P. Cooling becomes an issue with these mega-packs. Price is a bit of a factor, too.

Look at a balancing charger as well. This lets you equalize the cells after charging for better performance and longer life. Naturally every manufacturer uses a different balancing plug so you need their balancer, or an adapter cable

Confused yet?
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:19 PM   #13
TEAM MODERATOR

Hey Goat,confused.....not totally . I may have to read it a few times to fully grasp it but thanks,thats the kind of reply I've been waiting for. I just recently bought a Great Planes Triton charger. It's good to go for Sub C's and Lipo's. Recon it's a good'n? I've not really read the book on it yet,just charging these Sub C's,I just throw them on it and hit charge at 2.5 amp's. Do you know if it's got the balancer you speak of?

Thanks a bunch.

Steve
Old 09-12-2006, 01:26 AM   #14
K_B
I wanna be Dave

OK, if you're a jackass like me, the voltage cutoff device may be a good idea no matter what. I forgot to unplug the battery from the ESC and it sat for about 5 days. Needless to say, it was well below 3V per cell. I was around 2V. I nursed it back to working order (hasn't been the same though) and I forgot to unplug it AGAIN! Now it's officially FUBAR. Uch...

Anywho, you can get the balancer as a seperate component from the battery manufacturer and plug it inline with the battery.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 05:41 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

The Triton is about as good as chargers get. Unfortunately, it doesn't have balancing capability, so you'll need a seperate balancer. If you use the TP cells, the easiest way is the TP balancer. Great Planes makes a balancer now, but I don't know if they have a TP cable.

K_B, the cutoff wouldn't have helped in your case. What it does is interrupt the signal from the ESC to the receiver, so you'd still kill your cells by leaving them plugged in.

Lipos should ALWAYS be stored fully charged.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 02:52 AM   #16
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Steve,

You dont need anything fancy for voltage cuttoff or lipo safety harnesses- you run the mamba maxx! Plug in that usb thingy and change the voltage cuttoff to suit whatever battery you are using, or use the auto lipo cuttoff. Start with the thunder power 2100 3 cell pack. I know it will be enough juice for the motor you are running because I have used it on my setup. If you want more runtime just get two of the batteries and switch em out mid run. They are so tiny anyway, they fit in a pocket easy as long as you dont have other metals in there.

The TP batteries do have a different balancing jack than all the rest of the packs. Just have to use a balancer with the right plug.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 08:12 AM   #17
TEAM MODERATOR

O.K. A big thanks to all thats replied. I've learned alot and it's made my decision ALOT easier......MUCHO'S GRASSYA$$!

I'll try to get one,or two,or three,or four,....oh,wait a minute,sorry....I'll order one up and give it a whirl I think my gears can take it now. As bad as I hate it....I unlocked my slipper clutch :-( :-( ........... With all this power,I think I need something to give or I'm gonna just keep breaking shiat I'm gonna run it after while and find a spot where it'll still hook hard but it'll slip when it binds up pretty bad.

Thanks again guys

Steve
Old 04-10-2007, 07:59 PM   #18

Default anyone else try li-ion

i bought some li-ion batterys to try on my tlt trail rig and i think i like them more than lipo batterys there smaller but have 2600 mah witch seems to last forever with my setup (55t and super rooster) and if you order off all-battery.com now you get free shiping and 5% off. there shipping is actuly relly fast for free i got my order in 2 dayswitch is just about the fastest shipping i have ever got off the internet with out paying an arm and a leg for it.and the cells seem to hold there charge and capisty for a long time.

Easter Specials ---7 Day Store wide Free Shipping Plus 5% off
Discount code:
tenergy2546

all-battery.com
Good thru April 13rd 11:59PM

here are the ones i got
http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=1600
smaxxrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 07:55 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Okay... I am buying one of these packs below for my Son's Rc 18. I was wondering if it would work in a TLT? It the same size as a 2/3 A 6 cell pack.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=VNR1571

Don't mind the price. I get it a lot cheaper than what is listed.

Thanks
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:30 PM   #20
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

If it is indeed 20C it would work pretty well for a 55t motor. I am a bit suspect of the discharge rate though, because of the physical size and MAH.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote