Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Problem with my motor.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Problem with my motor.

I have an SCX-10 with a 27T Axial motor in it. After crawling on Saturday it started making a little squeal and when I went to inspect it today, it is already a lot worse. I would guess a bearing or something like that, but I do not know anything about this stuff yet. I took a video and uploaded it to youtube.

27T Brushed Motor Making Bad Noise - YouTube

Any help other than...its gone (I can guess that ) would be appreciated. Can this motor be rebuilt, should I just get a new one, etc.?
Valreesio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Problem with my motor.

Sounds like a bushing is worn or dry. Try oiling with 3in1 oil. Just the bushings though and only 1 or 2 drops.
DRTMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

The bushing just behind the pinion? I am trying to find an exploded view of the motor now.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

So i oiled it and the squealing stopped...but the motor is still (forgot this part earlier but you can hear it in the video) "stalling" a bit at about mid throttle. it is fine at low and full, but at about half it cuts in and out. I changed the timing on my Sidewinder SV3 but did not seem to have any effect. Any ideas?
Old 02-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Does it bind if turning it by hand? By the way, that motor can not be rebuilt. You can clean it and lube the bushings regularly. The stock motors do not last very long and it would be a good idea too get one of a little better quality. eg. a Tekin, Brood, or Holmes machine wound.
DRTMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Does not seem to bind by hand...video of cutting out.

Axial 27t motor cutting out at mid throttle. - YouTube
Old 02-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

And if I need a new motor, can one be had for ...say under $20...that will last or is rebuildable? I like the 27t, but might go down to a 35t for a little more grunt, but like the 27 for hill climbing wheel speed. I see people talking about holmes motors and such, but 60+ is not in the budget right now.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #8
RCC Addict

you can get a decent HH 27t for about 35 bucks. well worth the cash and there rebuildable. if you buy those chepo motors for 10- 20 bucks your just throwing your money away. buy once and be done
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:11 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlhog View Post
you can get a decent HH 27t for about 35 bucks. well worth the cash and there rebuildable. if you buy those chepo motors for 10- 20 bucks your just throwing your money away. buy once and be done
Buy once and be done all right, my wife is a mean one...lol. Not really but I just plucked down 70 for the sidewinder ESC and another 35 might kill her, or me. 35 is not too bad. Is this the motor your referring to?

Holmes Hobbies LLC
Old 02-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Thats a solid motor choice for little coin. That said I couldn t help but notice in vid#1 that there was mud all over the tranny casing and everywhere else on the chassis. I enjoy a good mud bath from time to time but I also thuroughly clean the motor after a good beating and relube the bearings after every clean. Mud/dirt bashing is always a good time providing you take the precautions to do it time and time again.
Phins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, I have been cleaning it after runs, using the air compressor to blow out debris and such, I just had not had the time until today to look at it and clean it up. I assume that I will be able to relube bearings and such after I get a rebuildable motor. I am also getting ready to take it all apart and water-proof/resist all the components like the video from djmedic2008 on youtube shows. I don't plan on using her like a submarine, but I want her to be able to cross a creek if she comes across one. Would that motor be a good choice for water use? I know most brushed motors are okay in water, but would hate to kill a $35 motor by submerging it.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:16 PM   #12

the torquemaster is fine with water with regular maintenance as stated above.
ericsarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the help and information guys. I appreciate it. I put everything back together and I don't notice the cutting out while driving, but I am now on the lookout for a new motor because I am sure it is only a matter of time. Again, thanks for the help.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Any of the "sealed endbell" (meaning you can't change the brushes or true the commutator) motors aren't going to last long in grueling conditions.

I dare say my Holmes sportmaster 35 turn has better low end torque and top speed than my Axial 27 turn, both geared the same 14/87 in my SCX.

Unfortunately the only $20 rebuildable that was worth a darn were the Integy Lathe Motors, which used to be from Japan, oftentimes Sagami units. The newer ones are made in china and are junk. Commutators aren't even close to round out of the box and the bearings feel like crap.

DON'T waste your money on Venom fireballs (that is literaly what mine turned into on the first pack), or the thunder tiger 17 turn (only useable part was the armature), or any sealed endbell motor.

DO spend your dough on a 35 turn machine wound and a couple extra sets of brushes.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:39 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Is there a noticable difference going from the 27t-35t with regards to speed? A little bit more torque might be nice, but I like having the top speed for when I need to go up a long dirt hill, or just to clean out the lugs.

Problem with my motor. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motor problem jcsaxial Electronics 4 09-12-2012 08:33 PM
Motor problem AdverseCity Electronics 13 10-31-2010 03:26 PM
motor problem? punkuup5150 Electronics 7 12-29-2009 04:45 PM
new motor same problem scoobysnacks HPI Wheely King 19 09-15-2008 10:01 PM