Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Castle Micro Sidewinder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Castle Micro Sidewinder

Does anyone know if the CC Micro sidewinder will handle a 19 or 21t motor on 3s in a moa rig i was thinking of 2 of these esc and can not find the motor limits on CC site, any help would be appreciated.
tbacon38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Castle Micro Sidewinder

Did you try searching here on RCC? These have been in use in MOA rigs for a while now. As far as the motors you're asking about go...are they standard 540 builds? I'm assuming they're typical 3 slot armatures. If that's the case the ESC will probably handle them...but not as well as they'd handle 30t and above in a comparable 3 slot motor or as well as something like a 16t 5 slot armature like the Holmes Hobbies Crawlmasters or the Brood CVR style motors.

Not to mention if the ones you're talking about are in face 3 slot motors...the slow speed startup has to be pretty rough.
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Talking Re: Castle Micro Sidewinder

I searched the other night and didnt find anyone running lower than a 30t motor, but im was planning on running a standard 540 motor till i can save some change for HH motors
Old 02-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Will they run the motors you have...yes...will they be happy...not so much. It's a matter of keeping an eye on the temperatures. I'd assume you'd probably want to shut it down to cool after no more than 8-10 minutes of normal crawling.

Should've asked earlier...what type of MOA rig?
Old 02-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

A 2.2 bully, the axles have delrin tubes front and rear shaved cases, the not the lightest but there not real heavy either, my final weight should be 5 pounds ready to run i hope for that anyways. if its heavier that will be ok i guess.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Ok the rig isn't anything crazy so the micros will be ok...but the choice of motors is the only hold up. I would really suggest picking up a higher turn motor. You can pick up the HH or Brood 35t machine wound motors for around $30-40 each and they're actually decent motors.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I don't think it will be enough wheel speed for what I am wanting, I had 35t motors in it before making all the mods to the axles and did not like the way they performed. Crawled really well but didn't have enough wheel speed to jump up some of the ledges where we crawl.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

What kind of 35t motors were you running? The Bully axles should have a 40:1 ratio which is slightly slower than Bergs and XR's but it shouldn't be enough to keep them performing similarly with similar components.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:55 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Castles web site says they are rated for 35 turn and up on 3s.
CRAWLERJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:49 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbacon38 View Post
I don't think it will be enough wheel speed for what I am wanting, I had 35t motors in it before making all the mods to the axles and did not like the way they performed. Crawled really well but didn't have enough wheel speed to jump up some of the ledges where we crawl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ittybitty View Post
What kind of 35t motors were you running? The Bully axles should have a 40:1 ratio which is slightly slower than Bergs and XR's but it shouldn't be enough to keep them performing similarly with similar components.
+1, what motors? Did you maintain them?

I run 35T motors on 3S (850mah+, 45C+, good connectors) and don't have issues in my 2.2 Bully.
I have run HH motors, Br00ds & a pair of Checkpoints. All did well and my rig is close to a pound heavier than yours.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

I stuck some integy v12 35t motors in it and they were new, with 13 tooth pinions, running an HH BRXL on 4s and it was not enough for my likings, the crawling was great but I wanted a little more wheel speed, I had some reedy 27 turn motors put those in and was just about right with no heat issues on the motors, I also tried some method 19t motors and with a 10 tooth pinion they are a little quick but do a good job with minimal heat, only reason I was going to go with dual esc is to eliminate stall, all motors I tried we're brand new except the reedy 27 so I was leaning toward a 21 or 23t motor, I really like the size and price of the micro sidewinders, but hate to burn them up trying to get the wheel speed I have now.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbacon38 View Post
I searched the other night and didnt find anyone running lower than a 30t motor, but im was planning on running a standard 540 motor till i can save some change for HH motors
I have been running 2x19 3 slot motors at 16v on a pair of sidewinder micros. They got hot enough to melt the rx case, but so far haven't started a fire or gone up in flames.

We're only a an hour of runtime in, though, so we shall see.

Startup is wonderful, btw.
opek is offline   Reply With Quote

Castle Micro Sidewinder - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Castle Sidewinder Micro 1/18 Syncrog60 Electronics 2 10-01-2012 07:09 AM
Castle Sidewinder Micro ???'s WestTxRc Electronics 8 10-08-2011 06:58 AM