Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: need help geting the right motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 05:12 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default need help geting the right motor

so here it is I have BRXL ecs, 3 and 4s batteries to use. I briefly had my stock Axial 20 turn motor in there (till I smoked it) and the speed was crazy, back flips, front flips wahoo! So my question is What is a good motor that will give me some longevity and that kind of fun? It has to be a brushed motor (BRXL is brushed only). I have a Torque master 27t but looking for a bit more wheel speed. I love torque tho. I looked at Brood motors but that is a bit overwhelming.... Suggestions and comments are welcome.

Thanks guys
04zrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2013, 05:34 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: need help geting the right motor

Fist off, what's the motor going in?
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:03 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: need help getting the right motor

If you want a Holmes or Br00d, you can email them and state:

What rig
What batteries (chemistry & cell count)
What ESC
What you want to do with the rig (crawling, rock racer, etc.)
Your budget
What motor you currently have and what you like/dislike about it

They can then make recommendations of what they have.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler nut View Post
Fist off, what's the motor going in?
It is going in a Ridgecrest,
Old 03-05-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Your fun and motor longevity are at odds with each other. The more power you push through it, the less motor life you will have with a brushed system. Keeping with a 27t motor is a good choice IMO. You can add 12 degrees of timing for a good speed boost, and 24 degrees if you go easy on the brakes and reverse. If you really want faster faster faster, a brushless solution would be a good long term investment.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:12 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Your fun and motor longevity are at odds with each other. The more power you push through it, the less motor life you will have with a brushed system. Keeping with a 27t motor is a good choice IMO. You can add 12 degrees of timing for a good speed boost, and 24 degrees if you go easy on the brakes and reverse. If you really want faster faster faster, a brushless solution would be a good long term investment.
John, thanks for the reply you make a great product, thank you. I have 6degrees of timing now ( I didn't realize I could go more) what I need to do Is send it all back to you for service so this motor works and BRXL needs waterproofing. I wish I knew that you'd recommend brush less to me censored or censor less? Would you recommend a set up for me?
Is there a lower turn option in brushed ?

thanks for the response.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:17 AM   #7
RCC Addict

For a crawler or trail basher you'll want a sensored system. Is is strictly a crawler or a trail basher as well? There are a few different options from 13.5-21.5T motors.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Well, bashing .....of course! I'll crawl some too but mostly bashing. That Ridgecrest is one tough rig. I drive it pretty hard and I have no complaints so far.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Am i the only one who runs.7.5t brushless in a wraith?!
35mph is amazing!
rcmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:25 AM   #10
RCC Addict

For a crawler/basher a 13.5t would be my choice. If it was strictly a crawler then I'd say 17.5-18.5t. Tekin makes a 13.5 and a 17.5 and Novak has a 13.5,17.5,18.5 and 21.5. All of these can be had for under $100. The price goes up when you start looking at the Pro4 and Roc 412, they are about $135-150.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

what I've read about brushless is that censored is what I want but they are more maintenance. I really like the Holmes but want more speed.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmedic View Post
Am i the only one who runs.7.5t brushless in a wraith?!
35mph is amazing!
straight line only I assume. don't know what kind of speed I get but I have to reduce the steering a bunch and still seems like the Ridgecrest is allways on its roof like a turtle on it's back.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #13
RCC Addict

A brushless motor is less maintenance than a brushes motor by far, not sure if there is much of a maintenance difference between sensored and sensorless. Anything faster than a 13.5t in a crawler is stupid. Not to mention you'll lose tons of torque.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
A brushless motor is less maintenance than a brushes motor by far, not sure if there is much of a maintenance difference between sensored and sensorless. Anything faster than a 13.5t in a crawler is stupid. Not to mention you'll lose tons of torque.
Crawler nut, i managed to snap my rear locker and a traxxas driveshaft pin through my mip shaft, stripped 2 spurs, and have snapped drive pins that engauge the hexes, my wraith has more power than any brushed motor could produce and crawls as good, if not better. Setup, Castle mamba Max Pro with a Tekin sc4x 7.5t on 3s, i've snapped my rear steer axle shafts.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Ive broke most if that with a brushed motor minus the universals, just broke the dog bones. Plus you're talking a 550 motor, not a 540. You can't compare the 2. Irs been said before and I'll say it again. If it was that great of a motor then more people would be choosing it over the Pro4.

Last edited by crawler nut; 03-07-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

The pro 4 is a 540 for one so that means smaller... And is a 4 pole. The 550 of the sc4x keeps up with te pro4. And the sc4x requires the same amount if power if not less, and runs cooler with the longer can.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Yeah, smaller. Fits with no mods. And I have the Pro4 in a 9.5lb wraith. 3 straight hours of crawling and full speed runs. 0 heat issues. Yes the SC4X will work. Is it a better choice? No... I went through the same debate a month ago when choosing the motor for my Wraith. The SC4X just isn't the best choice. Will it work? Yes, but I'd get the Pro4 or the Roc 412412 any day of the week before I buy the SC4X for a crawler. Like I said before, if it was that great of a motor then why isn't everyone running it?
Old 03-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Yeah, smaller. Fits with no mods. And I have the Pro4 in a 9.5lb wraith. 3 straight hours of crawling and full speed runs. 0 heat issues. Yes the SC4X will work. Is it a better choice? No... I went through the same debate a month ago when choosing the motor for my Wraith. The SC4X just isn't the best choice. Will it work? Yes, but I'd get the Pro4 or the Roc 412412 any day of the week before I buy the SC4X for a crawler. Like I said before, if it was that great of a motor then why isn't everyone running it?
I don't know who pissed in you fruit loops, but i didn't intend to fight about it.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

i run a MMP with a novack 18.5 brushless in my wraith, crawler mostly,with good wheel speed. for bashing a 13.5 will be loads of fun, i would stick with tekin or novack for the motors.DONT BUY NOVACK ESC 's. If bashing is your game, you will LOVE the power and torque! Might even want more kv's Have fun!
trig n tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #20
RCC Addict

No fight here. Just trying to steer him in the direction and that motor isn't really it.

need help geting the right motor - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need help on geting wheels corvair wally Tires and Wheels 3 01-18-2011 08:42 PM
Geting new... radio,esc,motor,dig,tires,lipo,shocks greenjeeper92 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 11 12-24-2009 03:02 PM
Geting a highlift and have a question bvitale General Crawlers 0 02-24-2008 03:36 PM