Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: GT3C: Need your opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
Got Worms?

Default GT3C: Need your opinions

I think i have finally found some parts i've been searching for...

Whats your guys thoughts on the physical attributes of the GT3C?

~Is is comfortable to use?
~How's the weight?
~Etc...

What I'm trying to get to, is if i can come up with a $200 to $250 dollar radio that was in a GT3C case, rx's cost $15 to $30 (Depending on channels and features), easy to use, mid range speed(less than 10ms), and most importantly, have the most functionality and features than any other radio on the market. Would you buy it?

It'll most likely be assembled here in the usa (Even the circuit boards will be made here in the states and then assembled (Solder all the stuff to the board))

This is just me thinking, if this ever does happen it'll be at least two years down the road before the first retail units will be sold.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: GT3C: Need your opinions

Not sure, I don't have a GT3C yet. I've been looking to get one & hack it, but funds have been sparse until recently (a ton of OT at work....).

Once I get a "C" (likely the grey/gunmetal) I can answer better.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I ordered one direct from HongKong should be here this week.
Are the mods worth it?
Statik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Losikid,
If u build it, we will buy it.
elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statik View Post
I ordered one direct from Hong Kong should be here this week.
Are the mods worth it?
Is hacking a GT3B or GT3C worth it??....., yes. At a minimum the hack fixes some stock issues. At a maximum, you end up with 8 channels and a lot of other options.

I can only state what firmware version 0.4 is like, 0.6 is even better.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:39 PM   #6
Pullman Crawler

I have me GT3C sitting in the box waiting for your hack kit to show up at my door. I'm hopping to see it soon. I'm sure I will have more input after I get it all up and running. But with the other radios I have ran before I think i can give you a little information now. I do like the fill in the hand of the GT3C so I would say it would be a good base. I'm a bit on the cheap side (that why I bought the GT3C over a spectrum again), so the closer to your $200 mark the more likely I would buy one. The price on the RX sound nice. For the radio function and fit I would like it if the antenna had more free movement and if the power wasn't on the wheel. What would make it a no questions asked buy would be.... Having a min on four (if not more) channels, third and forth having there own physical three way switch around the thumb area. I'm not a fan on the push button that cycles through the three settings. Six channel would be great to see (all with physical three way switches. Of course all channels having programmable end points. I also like how small the RX's are for the GT3C are. I know more channels mean more space is needed but the smaller the RX is the better. If the RX could be water "proof" that would make things even better. By what i have heard about you, I would think you makes them there will be a market for them. I will update mt post after the hack if I think there is more to say.
A_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:38 AM   #7
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Jeeper View Post
I have me GT3C sitting in the box waiting for your hack kit to show up at my door. I'm hopping to see it soon. I'm sure I will have more input after I get it all up and running. But with the other radios I have ran before I think i can give you a little information now. I do like the fill in the hand of the GT3C so I would say it would be a good base. I'm a bit on the cheap side (that why I bought the GT3C over a spectrum again), so the closer to your $200 mark the more likely I would buy one. The price on the RX sound nice. For the radio function and fit I would like it if the antenna had more free movement and if the power wasn't on the wheel. What would make it a no questions asked buy would be.... Having a min on four (if not more) channels, third and forth having there own physical three way switch around the thumb area. I'm not a fan on the push button that cycles through the three settings. Six channel would be great to see (all with physical three way switches. Of course all channels having programmable end points. I also like how small the RX's are for the GT3C are. I know more channels mean more space is needed but the smaller the RX is the better. If the RX could be water "proof" that would make things even better. By what i have heard about you, I would think you makes them there will be a market for them. I will update mt post after the hack if I think there is more to say.
Well it'll have a max of 8 channels, just like the current hacked flyskys...BUT alot better technology, very immune to interference, and i haven't heard of it causing interference...its also fcc certified.

IF rx size is an issue, here is the 5ch rx i'm currently using in my losi...see attached

It'll have an identical switch layout as it does now...i'll basically just be making a new board that will plug into the radio. I think you won't mind the way the switches work once you use them

My concern isn't what i make, my concern is if i can use the GT3C as my base...because to make a new plastic would be a MASSIVE startup cost
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2013, 08:30 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Well it'll have a max of 8 channels, just like the current hacked flyskys...BUT alot better technology, very immune to interference, and i haven't heard of it causing interference...its also fcc certified.

IF rx size is an issue, here is the 5ch rx i'm currently using in my losi...see attached

It'll have an identical switch layout as it does now...i'll basically just be making a new board that will plug into the radio. I think you won't mind the way the switches work once you use them

My concern isn't what i make, my concern is if i can use the GT3C as my base...because to make a new plastic would be a MASSIVE startup cost
About $200 could be a good price , interference free and fcc certified, as for the new plastic for the radio, have you seen the radios from the tower hobbies rc line arrma? i think those are drill casings they are using? just and fyi if you need to look into that
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I like the GT3C I bought from you.

You'll certainly need a differentiation though because the regular GT3B's are around $50, so if you have a radio that looks like one and is $200 some people will scratch their heads. Maybe a different color or faceplate (things you can change without molding tooling costs).

I'm actually in the process of reverse engineering part of the case and 3D printing a different grip for mine. We'll see how that goes. There are a few work projects that come first.

Size, weight, balance are all good. I don't like the foam wheel cover though, mine keeps sliding off.

Either way, I'd say that could be a very good thing.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #10
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
About $200 could be a good price , interference free and fcc certified, as for the new plastic for the radio, have you seen the radios from the tower hobbies rc line arrma? i think those are drill casings they are using? just and fyi if you need to look into that
I don't see how you consider those drill casings...please show me a side by side pic of a the drill your thinking off and the arrma radio your thinking of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ik632 View Post
I like the GT3C I bought from you.

You'll certainly need a differentiation though because the regular GT3B's are around $50, so if you have a radio that looks like one and is $200 some people will scratch their heads. Maybe a different color or faceplate (things you can change without molding tooling costs).

I'm actually in the process of reverse engineering part of the case and 3D printing a different grip for mine. We'll see how that goes. There are a few work projects that come first.

Size, weight, balance are all good. I don't like the foam wheel cover though, mine keeps sliding off.

Either way, I'd say that could be a very good thing.
Well, the stock stickers and logo'ing will be overkillrc, but will look identical otherwise...once the time gets closer i'll contact flysky and see if they'll sell me just the plastic stuff.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #11
Got Worms?

Bump
Old 03-20-2013, 01:29 PM   #12
RCC Addict

So I drove both over the weekend (GT3B and GT3C) and the C is great because it's lighter, but almost feels top heavy compared to the B with it's 8 batteries in the base. It would be nice to have the radio include another set or two of buttons or variable pot that you could program for different things.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:47 PM   #13
RCC Addict

i would think about it. gt3b and gt3b have been good to me.
m1009cucv is offline   Reply With Quote

GT3C: Need your opinions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flysky GT3C: First Look losikid Electronics 104 12-22-2013 12:25 PM
gt3c lipo? buggynutt Electronics 8 03-05-2013 01:25 PM
GT3C Problem WooPigSooie Electronics 11 11-05-2012 06:26 AM
gt3c randomly turning off m1009cucv Electronics 5 09-24-2012 06:48 AM
Gt3c power glitch joss097 Electronics 4 08-08-2012 10:14 PM