RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   brusher motor question (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/435105-brusher-motor-question.html)

popeye123 03-18-2013 02:09 PM

brusher motor question

iv been looking into getiing a new motor and i thought i made up my mind on a holmes hobby setup but then i seen a thread on here and some people mentioned that every few trips they would replace the brushes in their HH motors.

so my question is this true? will i need to replace brushes every couple trips? do all brushed motor have that kind of up-keep?if so im just gonna get another cheap axial can motor that came in the wraith cause i beat the crap out of it for over a year

Charlie-III 03-18-2013 02:43 PM

Re: brusher motor question

The 2 main issues with short brush life are:

1-Running in deep water (motor brushes are wet)
2-High battery voltage

If you're running 2S or 3S LiPO and not submerging the motor in water, you should get a long time out of a set of brushes (I have a year & 10 comps +practice days on my motors on 3S LiPO with minimal wear).

crawlhog 03-19-2013 06:36 AM

1-Running in deep water (motor brushes are wet)
2-High battery voltage

i dont do either and my brushes last quite awhile, i run my rigs often and only replaced the brushes a couple of times and they still had alot of meat left on them.
people break there motors in in water, waste of time . thats why the brushes wear quickly

monkeyracing 03-19-2013 04:33 PM

BTW: Those cheap Axial cans brushed motors too, just not rebuildable.

k7zpj 03-19-2013 05:06 PM

I am getting over a years worth of use out my TorqueMaster motors before the brushes need to be replaced. If you are doing mostly crawling with some trail running then I would go HH TorqueMaster.

However, If you want a cheap throw away motor the silver can Tamiya Motor 56019 can be found for about ten bucks. I use them if I want to play in the mud.

The HH TrailMaster Sport 540 is another low cost option for muck and a lot of dust.

popeye123 03-20-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyracing (Post 4236739)
BTW: Those cheap Axial cans brushed motors too, just not rebuildable.

i know the axail can are brushed motors,so the reason i was asking is because i have 2 wraiths and even though its more time consuming than hard to pull the motors i dont find the need to do it every couple weeks if what i read was true.

i live about 15-20 min. from lucia falls(sw washington) so the wraiths see it all, rain, rocks, mud, hill climbs, puddles, on a average 6-10 hrs a week when the weather alows. so you can see why i was asking if brushes needed to be changed that much

Charlie-III 03-20-2013 11:44 AM

Re: brushed motor question

Quote:

Originally Posted by popeye123 (Post 4237911)
I know the Axial can are brushed motors, so the reason I was asking is because I have 2 Wraiths and even though it's more time consuming than hard to pull the motors I don't find the need to do it every couple weeks if what I read was true.

I live about 15-20 min. from Lucia Falls (SW Washington) so the Wraiths see it all, rain, rocks, mud, hill climbs, puddles, on a average 6-10 hrs a week when the weather allows. So you can see why I was asking if brushes needed to be changed that much

Running that much time per week will cause any brushed motor to require at least a little maintenance.

If you really want "maintenance free" you may want to look at a brushless motor (preferred is sensored with a suitable ESC).

popeye123 03-20-2013 11:58 AM

iv thought about brushless but with water and mud i thought brushed would be better option. i dont have a problem with having to do maintnance but every couple trips i dont want to be re building it either. i guess i was spoiled with not even looking at the stock motor on 2s for over a year lol

EddieO 03-20-2013 12:11 PM

You are on of the few who got the wraith motor to last....most blew them in the first battery. The wraith is poorly geared out of the box, which often led to the downfall.

Like the rest of the truck, the motor needs to be taken care of. Sure you can run stuff till it falls apart, but it works better and lasts longer if you take the time to maintain it.

Later EddieO