Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Burning up motors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #21
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Burning up motors

Trinity, integy, novak, I know there not the best but most of them smoked on my basement floor.
tbacon38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Jeez...I have "stock spec" epoxy sealed 27T motors that have a couple of YEARS running carpet series (12th scale & 10th scale) (4+ runs/night, 2 nights a week) that have had nothing but an external comm clean & new brushes.

I have no real clue on how peeps can kill a motor in a few runs on dry ground.......
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:44 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

thought it was the gearing but if you calculate my ratio of spur and pinion it's a 9.6 I would think that would be low enough for a 27t motor, I put a 10 tooth and it would not even pull itself up a ledge, I have tore the axles and trans apart several times and take the pinion off and can push it freewheel as far as it will roll by itself, I even took the motors out if my moa that were running on 4s and never got hot not even warm in the moa rig which I know one motor per axle will create less heat but figured they would handle it, and smoked one of those on a 2s batt, I have tried everything I know to do, I'm lost now.
tbacon38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:47 AM   #24
Pebble Pounder

I've recently had motor issues with my Ridgecrest, and am working through it as we speak. I can understand why od/ud would cause a motor to heat up on surfaces with traction. I seems to be a very fine line between ok setup and not ok setup. I assumed buying a "quality" expensive motor ment I was buying something that was stout and tough, not the case. I bought 2 reputable motors and it seems when you do this you need to have your rig set up just so and pay very close attention to heat! I'm still in the "learning curve" . Best of luck to you.
04zrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Odds are that 27t epic you have is a stock motor, which has a locked 24 degrees of timing....and the wraith runs motors in reverse, so its running with a negative 24 degrees of timing. Negative timing= blown motors.

The wraith is a known killer of motors....on top of many people want it to be fast when thats NOT what its designed for.

Later EddieO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbacon38 View Post
I'm having the same problems in my Wraith I am on my 5th motor in 3 days, all my driveline spins freely and same gears in front and rear axle, my motor gets so hot that the end ell melts off the motor, I'm running a mmp esc with a brushed motor, have tried different pinions, right now I'm running a 27t epic motor, running a 58t spur with a 6t pinion just to give it some torque, I have tried everything from 19t motors to 75 turn motors and smoked them all, I just want it to crawl with just a little wheel speed on 3s batts, sorry not trying to hi jack a thread but maybe someone can help both of us out.
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #26
Rock Stacker

Went through drivetrain. All spins smoothly seperately. Havent had time to put it back together without a motor to test all together. Just got a 35t hh tourquemaster pro from off here. Going to throw a novak 45t pro in for now. Going camping this weekend. Have a couple more garbage motors to throw in and see what happens.
SNOWYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:22 PM   #27

Is there any chance this could be caused by an esc problem? I too have had the chronic motor failure issue when running brushed motors with the stock esc (1 motor was mispackaged so it doesn't count). Currently I'm saving up for a Castle set up(yeah I wasted money on a traxxas velineon).
mikespeed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:57 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikespeed6 View Post
Is there any chance this could be caused by an esc problem? I too have had the chronic motor failure issue when running brushed motors with the stock esc (1 motor was mispackaged so it doesn't count). Currently I'm saving up for a Castle set up (yeah I wasted money on a Traxxas velineon).
Not really, the ESC will only provide what the motor asks for/TX is requesting. When the motor is overloaded (reasons already listed), a good ESC & battery will just keep supplying power until the rig is free or something gives.
A bad/poor ESC, battery or battery connection will quit 1st, then the motor "dies" but it's just not getting power.

What you do with your trigger finger also determines how long things last.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #29
Rock Stacker

Put a novak "pro" 45t and it got hot but did not smoke. Ran thru 4 small 1600mah 2s batteries and a 1000mah 3s and had a blast a the beach. Did notice some binding on my front bumper with the boggers. Time for a stubby bumper!!! Bent Metal Workz here i come.
SNOWYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

gear mesh would be my first suspect
kunas is offline   Reply With Quote

Burning up motors - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Burning up motors 51JeepWillys Axial Wraith 17 03-21-2013 08:20 PM
Burning up MOtors HELP Pegasix Electronics 21 05-19-2012 04:19 PM
Keep Burning Motors Playa92687 Electronics 4 05-08-2012 04:48 PM
why am i burning up motors?? hoghead5150 Axial Wraith 52 11-08-2011 07:19 PM