Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Way to hot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Way to hot

So I have a novack 35t terraclaw with a fxr pro running on 2s gearing is 87/18 and od in front axle. Just ran it for about 30min and its stopped like battery was dead so changed battery and had very weak power and acting up when finished I could smell yhe motor was hot and touvhed it and wow was it cooking. The fxr was also aarm not to hot but warm for sure. Now is it because I'm running 2s that the motors working harder to keep up or is there something else that is going on that I can't think of. Could use some advice before I put my 20t motor back in. I'm thinking that I need to get a few 3s lipos to give it the juice.
bigred22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Way to hot

I had kinda the same problem. I found my gear mesh was way tight and had some binding in the rear drive shaft. Just something to check. Hope this helps.
buggynutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggynutt View Post
I had kinda the same problem. I found my gear mesh was way tight and had some binding in the rear drive shaft. Just something to check. Hope this helps.
Ok I will check that when I tear it down tomorrow
Old 03-29-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Hot motors are usually:

-Too low a wind for application
-Overgeared (too big a pinion, too small a spur)
-Spur/pinion mesh too tight
-Drivetrain bind (bad bearings, bad gear teeth, overloaded bearing/bearings, etc.)
-Bad/failing motor bearings/bushings
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

So nothing to due with voltage of lipos then cuz with the gearing in there now its pretty slow with the 35t motor so don't want to gear any lower cuz its a trail truck but set for crawlin big stuff

Last edited by bigred22; 03-29-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:14 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

If you could try a 3S you may find the speed is better.

Don't know about your gearing, others can answer that, but check the other stuff to rule it out.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Well pulled tranny apart stuff grease in it loosened the mesh and oiled motor took it out and died in less then 5 min no throttle or reverse like signal was lost nothing was warm so I'm really confused now
Old 03-30-2013, 09:18 AM   #8
RCC Addict

might check wheel nuts, too tight?
My motor was getting hot too!
come to find out my wheel nuts were getting applied way too tight
replaced worn out ones with new ones, now I didn't have to wrench them down as much.
Like Charlie-III already suggested, check drivetrain bind
prusik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:01 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I had a similar issue a while back, put the pinion and rotate the wheels by hand. This will tell if you have any drive train binding issues. If all spins freely then most likely its either the pinion/spur mesh or bad motor.
Hope this helps and good luck.
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Drive train can't have any bind drive shafts r almost totally horizontal and can spin front and rear axle by hand I'm kinda thinking the fxr is bad cuz it loses throttle and reverse cuz it was running find with stock axial esc all winter with the same motor and never had the issue of complete shut down
Old 03-30-2013, 10:03 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred22 View Post
Well pulled tranny apart stuff grease in it loosened the mesh and oiled motor took it out and died in less then 5 min no throttle or reverse like signal was lost nothing was warm so I'm really confused now
Quote:
Drive train can't have any bind drive shafts r almost totally horizontal and can spin front and rear axle by hand I'm kinda thinking the fxr is bad cuz it loses throttle and reverse cuz it was running find with stock axial esc all winter with the same motor and never had the issue of complete shut down
Maybe you have several issues. Do you have a HotWire programming cable for the FX-R? If you do, you can check what settings it has.
You can set the program with button pushes, but it's more of a PITA.

Read the FX-R manual (go find it online if you don't have it), then you can see the LED codes that are for various issues, like low voltage, or high heat in the ESC.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Maybe you have several issues. Do you have a HotWire programming cable for the FX-R? If you do, you can check what settings it has.
You can set the program with button pushes, but it's more of a PITA.

Read the FX-R manual (go find it online if you don't have it), then you can see the LED codes that are for various issues, like low voltage, or high heat in the ESC.
No don't have a hotwire yet but went through all the settings manually and set them to proper settings and just switched to 3s hoping it wouldn't have to work harder but nope worse motor smoking and esc is hot as hell. It is a cheap novack motor so maybe ill change motors and try it
Old 04-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Think I found my issue the pinion gear was rubbing on spur cover explains the burnt plastic smell also here's the pics. That little piece of plastic was melted to the spur cover also
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Think I found my issue the pinion gear was rubbing on spur cover explains the burnt plastic smell also here's the pics. That little piece of plastic was melted to the spur cover also
My tekin did that, i over heated cause
Of it.
rcmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Running 3s is only going to make matters worse for both the ESC and motor. Your logic of things not having to work as hard with more voltage is backwards. The internal BEC in the FXR is of a linear design and "burns" off the extra voltage in the form of heat to drop it down to the 5.5-6V it sends to the receiver. If you do stick with 3s, lower your pinion size several teeth because geaing it too tall and giving it more voltage overworks it as well because you are basically trying to get the motor to provide more power than it can deliver, also being shed off in the form of heat.

Last edited by 05Fronty4x; 04-04-2013 at 08:06 PM.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:59 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Fronty4x View Post
Running 3s is only going to make matters worse for both the ESC and motor. Your logic of things not having to work as hard with more voltage is backwards. The internal BEC in the FXR is of a linear design and "burns" off the extra voltage in the form of heat to drop it down to the 5.5-6V it sends to the receiver. If you do stick with 3s, lower your pinion size several teeth because geaing it too tall and giving it more voltage overworks it as well because you are basically trying to get the motor to provide more power than it can deliver, also being shed off in the form of heat.
Well dropped the pinion down to a 14t and the spur is 87t and still getting warm so would getting a bigger spur with the 14t pinion help
Old 04-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Yes a bigger spur is the same as getting a smaller pinion, but you have to go up several teeth just tog et the effect of 1 less tooth on the pinion, so I wouldn't mess with it. It's normal for a motor to get warm. If it's close to burning your finger then it's too hot. You will have to be the judge, but definitely don't expect to run that 35T on 3s and not generate some heat. If you plan to stick with 3s, do your ESC a favor and get a CC BEC. An FXR gets warm on 3s even if the rig is just sitting there, and an external BEC will significantly lighten the load on it.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Fronty4x View Post
Yes a bigger spur is the same as getting a smaller pinion, but you have to go up several teeth just tog et the effect of 1 less tooth on the pinion, so I wouldn't mess with it. It's normal for a motor to get warm. If it's close to burning your finger then it's too hot. You will have to be the judge, but definitely don't expect to run that 35T on 3s and not generate some heat. If you plan to stick with 3s, do your ESC a favor and get a CC BEC. An FXR gets warm on 3s even if the rig is just sitting there, and an external BEC will significantly lighten the load on it.
It is hooked up to a cc bec and it was to hot to touch but went down to a 14t pinion and was still getting warm so maybe bec isn't wired rite ill take a look at that tonight
Old 04-05-2013, 03:39 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Warm is ok, shoot for under 150 and the motor should be fine....colder is better though. Often once you overheat a motor, it will always run hot even when geared correctly and such.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
Warm is ok, shoot for under 150 and the motor should be fine....colder is better though. Often once you overheat a motor, it will always run hot even when geared correctly and such.

Later EddieO
C the motor ran fine when I was running the stock axial esc but was on 2s but when I went to the fxr on 2s the problems started so this is y I don't think hearing is causing my issue

Way to hot - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hot Racing Links are hot mess!! Sethmetal Axial Wraith 53 04-12-2013 12:27 PM
How hot is too hot for the motor? Mr. Ed Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 4 06-13-2010 11:09 PM
motor temp - how hot is too hot? wicked4x4 Newbie General 16 03-18-2010 09:49 AM
Totally hot, hot, hot Melons inside! hvydty1 Chit Chat 6 06-03-2009 08:48 PM
Shakira: HOT HOT HOT!!! raytard Chit Chat 10 07-08-2006 09:10 PM