Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: ProTek Servos?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default ProTek Servos?

Has anyone tried any of the ProTek servos out yet? I'm seeing their popups on another forum and (7.4 the spec's increase to 426 oz-in and 0.0 for $129 looks too good to be true I'm just in the market for some medium torque fast servos for some rally cars I'm going to put together. Have a couple savox's coming to try but these prices seem in the right ball park for my 4 mini coopers
fvrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: ProTek Servos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvrr View Post
Has anyone tried any of the ProTek servos out yet? I'm seeing their popups on another forum and (7.4 the spec's increase to 426 oz-in and 0.0 for $129 looks too good to be true I'm just in the market for some medium torque fast servos for some rally cars I'm going to put together. Have a couple savox's coming to try but these prices seem in the right ball park for my 4 mini coopers
For $130?

Just get a Hitec 7950 from RPP.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I am more curious on this brand. My 7955's work fine in my scalers. I'm needing several for my rally and buggies I'm going to be building.

From my phone using my fingers.
fvrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I don't remember where, but I remember reading that these are rebranded Hitec servos. Will try and find the link I had for that.

Edit: the link I had was from some people's speculation based on some things observed, but appantly later refuted as not being a rebranded hitec - so I doubt my above statement now.

Last edited by B94Cast; 04-09-2013 at 03:06 PM.
B94Cast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I am more curious on this brand. My 7955's work fine in my scalers. I'm needing several for my rally and buggies I'm going to be building.

From my phone using my fingers.
... maybe I'm missing something. I don't see where buying from a no-name brand that has similar pricing to a well known brand is advantageous.

If they where $20? sure.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #6
RCC Addict

The only thing I can see that would be an advantage is the Protek's are a bit faster, but that's still not enough to sell me on one when I can have a Hitec for the same price.
AddictedtoRC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:52 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

I have some Protek lipos from Amainhobbies that are about 5 years old that still look and work as brand new.

The biggest difference between the Protek and max amp batteries are the price and life span - about 5 to 1 difference for both in favor of the Protek.
Longhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:08 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
all of amains drivers are running these servos and I have a few buddys running them and love them they are actually rated less then they actually put out.
twisted bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #9
bsn
Quarry Creeper

I just got three of the 350T servos. I will be putting them in a wraith, 2.2 wreckluse, and a heavy 1.9 honcho. I need to pick up some metal servo horns. I have hitek horns and the protek servos use a 25 spline gear. I will only be running them off of the esc bec until I can get a couple Castle BEC installed. I would like to run them at 6v, don't think I will run them at the full 7.4v.

At only $74 a piece at A Main right now, I figured it would be better than that hitek 945mg that I was running. I was using the 945mg in my wraith and I stripped the main gear at the splines on three of them during the last three times out.

Last edited by bsn; 08-08-2013 at 12:39 AM.
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:31 AM   #10

I have been running a Protec 350T for awhile now and absolutely love it. For $75 and excellent customer support, you can't beat it! I am keeping it down to 6 volts because my Ridgecrest is stock and I don't want to rip the plastic steering parts off when in a bind. I really like how quiet it is too.
Beevous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:56 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark View Post
... maybe I'm missing something. I don't see where buying from a no-name brand that has similar pricing to a well known brand is advantageous.

If they where $20? sure.
I think you're missing the fact Pro-Tek isn't a no-name brand.
ProTek is AMainHobbies own brand. The products and customer service are top quality.

By the way, the ProTek 350T with 486 oz-in is $74.99 currently.

Last edited by Pygmy; 07-30-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Pygmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:18 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Yes, Pro-Tek is a private label from amainhobbies. But who makes them? I have Pro-Tek batteries that puff like donuts. Not trying to trash a brand, I want to find out too. By the way, tower hobbies have their private brand servos that are made by Futaba, yet cheap and reliable.
xxx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:18 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx123 View Post
Yes, Pro-Tek is a private label from amainhobbies. But who makes them? I have Pro-Tek batteries that puff like donuts.
So does any brand of lipos, depending on luck and how they're treated. After all, they're all coming from the same 5 factories.

The Pro-tek servos are extremely quiet and powerful, just like the Radiopost servos. Both are made in Korea. The difference is that Radiopost doesn't do customer support, and AMain handles customer support very well.
Ofcourse Hitec is always the go-to servo for good quality and customer support, but you can't get a Hitec >400oz/in for $74 (I think - correct me if I'm wrong), and AMain's customer support is at least as good.
Pygmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #14
bsn
Quarry Creeper

I have ran one 350T for about a week, mostly bashing in my Wraith. Very happy so far. I installed a second one in a wreckluse and it is burning up negative leads on anything it touches. I sent an email to A Main. Will see what they say. Still haven't installed the 3rd one I have. Kind of leery. Don't feel like burning up the wires to my new Sidewinder 3.

Just hooked up my third one. Same setup, even using the burnt up wires as it was only the insulation that burnt off and no problems.

Last edited by bsn; 08-07-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:00 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I installed a 350T this past Sunday in my comp rig and got 4-5 packs through it before it dumped. It is quiet and looks well built but its not for a comp rig. It would be fine in a scaler though granted you have a front bumper to protect it from direct frontal impacts. 4 ft straight down crash on the servo horn caused the failure. I did look into what i thought happened, and what I see is alot of space behind the horn before the aluminum front case. When I put a 24t robitronic horn on my 7950 there is no space behind the horn. On the protek servo with a 25t robitronic horn, there must be a 1/16" gap or more. I bet though, if a spacer and washer where installed before the horn to fill the gap, and frontal impact occured, the crash energy would be better distributed across the front case. I think this is a bad design flaw by protek and probably why the 350t is on sale for $75. Servo worked great until the crash.
Sheepdawg23wm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:35 AM   #16
bsn
Quarry Creeper

Interesting reason for the failure. Did the gears inside get trashed or the motor? As I have CMS on both the scalers, not worried about this. Both are inside steal cages. Will have to look at my wraith though. Especially with the high speed hits it taked when my son drives. I did notice the gap, did't think any about it though at the time.

Thanks for the imput.