Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 5990 servo winch shutting off.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default 5990 servo winch shutting off.

Alright, so I converted an extra 5990 servo to a winch last night. I used the stock board in it and glued the pot in neutral position. It works perfectly UNLESS you try running it in or out for more than 10 seconds. You can run it in for 9 seconds, stop and run it in for another 9 seconds and continue to do that, but if you continue operating it for a full 10 seconds it shuts off and will not work unless you unplug the truck and plug it back in. This happens whether you are spooling in or out, and it's really throwing me for a loop....anyone know why it would do this? Thanks, Tim.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2013, 06:13 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 5990 servo winch shutting off.

That's a tough one.
All I can think to do is to divide and conquer. Right now we don't know if it is the servo motor or the servo circuit board that is causing trouble. You could try connecting power directly to the servo motor and see that it will keep running as long as power is applied to help rule it out. You could also connect the output of the servo circuit to another small motor and see if it will keep running or not. At least then, you will know where to keep looking for the trouble.

Al
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Oooo sounds fun

The 5990 is a robot servo and it has position feedback and overload protection. I wonder if the board is kicking it into overload protection as a result of 'noticing' that the motor is going full blast and not moving the potentiometer ? I've heard robot guys complain about that model just shutting down after sustained load and having to power it back up to get it to work.

Few questions -

Is the board still attached to the motor? Any chance you might have damaged it? I'm guessing the receiver is good, radio settings are good, and you're getting sufficient power. No bad solder joints if you modified anything?

Are you certain you didn't mess up the potentiometer when you glued it (for instance thin CA getting in it).

Last edited by Highmark; 04-13-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyok View Post
That's a tough one.
All I can think to do is to divide and conquer. Right now we don't know if it is the servo motor or the servo circuit board that is causing trouble. You could try connecting power directly to the servo motor and see that it will keep running as long as power is applied to help rule it out. You could also connect the output of the servo circuit to another small motor and see if it will keep running or not. At least then, you will know where to keep looking for the trouble.

Al
Yeah, I have a couple of your winch controllers that I'll probably just put on it, but I just thought it was weird how it was acting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark View Post
Oooo sounds fun

The 5990 is a robot servo and it has position feedback and overload protection. I wonder if the board is kicking it into overload protection as a result of 'noticing' that the motor is going full blast and not moving the potentiometer ? I've heard robot guys complain about that model just shutting down after sustained load and having to power it back up to get it to work.
This is kinda what I'm thinking is going on.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark View Post
Few questions -

Is the board still attached to the motor?

Yes

Any chance you might have damaged it?

No, not the board.

I'm guessing the receiver is good, radio settings are good, and you're getting sufficient power. No bad solder joints if you modified anything?

Nope, I hooked up another servo winch to the receiver and it works perfectly.

Are you certain you didn't mess up the potentiometer when you glued it (for instance thin CA getting in it).

This is possible, but I don't think the potentiometer really does anything any more with it being glued....it doesn't creep at all.
I think I'm just going to remove the board and pot and install one of HeyOk's winch controllers.... I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the original board and some kind of overload feature. I didn't need it at the scale comp today so I'll have time this week to swap the controller over.

Thanks for the input guys!
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

5990 servo winch shutting off. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
5990 Servo shutting down... can't figure it out. Gst95dsm Electronics 2 01-05-2009 09:21 PM