Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: signs of a bad pack?? or just a bad motor.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default signs of a bad pack?? or just a bad motor.

I have a big Zippy 3s 5000Mah hard pack that I have been using for maybe 10 months, not sure of how many cycles it has but It couldn't be much more then 10.

I think I have a bad brushless motor, but I want to rule out the battery.

the symptoms I was seeing were similar to a low pack: cogging, motor won't start, will move if pushed and so on. but the monitor showed 3.7 and my alarm is set to 3.2.

I know that AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries will show full voltage at rest with a dead cell, but if you load them they will fail. But I think a lipo will show a failed cell not matter what. I do have about 4 hours of runtime on this charge, which I was impressed with, I had never run it that long continuously and had no idea how far it would go.

outcry brushless ESC and a speed passion crawler master L motor.....I really think the motor is the issue here.....
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: signs of a bad pack?? or just a bad motor.

try a different battery, then you'll know for sure.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
Suck it up!

Charge the battery and try again.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

A lipo will show a higher voltage at rest than it will when a load is applied. All batteries do. In my race RC, I see voltage drop from 8.4v to 7.9v at the first pull of the throttle (under load) then it bounces right back up again.

In any case, 4 hours is loads of runtime, even for a 5000mah battery. Charge it!
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:45 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Will do, thanks guys.

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Board Express
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

not mentioned, it could also be your esc being reset or auto detecting a lipo in non lipo settings it will chirp and stall the motor as a sign some systems like castle does the same thing even if they get electronically reset, but they also have a flashing light and tone to help the issue. Another thing when running a brushless motor at low power with huge weight being dragged even when designed to be a crawling motor it burns the sensors out alot faster and burns the connection out from usually the white and black wires "have had this happen a few times with traxxas and novak."

As for ruling out the battery its simple hook it up to a balance to make sure each cell is equal and moves in voltage.

To rule out the esc use a new motor, and this will also rule out the motor issue.

but it sounds like a lack of voltage or a shut off due to error with esc, or worse damaged wires internally.

another side idea after looking at the type of motor you are using, it is a sensored motor, which alot of them, at low speed they cause a little cogging when not used with a esc for it, but if you have used it before but not had this issue you might of fired the inside sensor.

To get around this issue on my tekin with a mmp I used the speed up gear down method, I put a tiny pinion with a 87t spur and keeps it running smooth. hope you find out the issue
Absurd is offline   Reply With Quote

signs of a bad pack?? or just a bad motor. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what are the signs of a bad lipo pack? jebster Electronics 24 03-14-2011 10:46 PM
bad charger, bad cells? guapotaco Electronics 5 10-22-2009 09:15 AM
Signs of a bad ESC? ToTheMAXXcrawler Tamiya Clod Buster 15 09-04-2009 08:08 PM
Glitching, Bad Battery Pack or something else? dj23gsx Electronics 0 12-15-2008 07:40 PM