Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Waterproofing servo's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 04:59 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Waterproofing servo's

Hi guys

Wondering if you guys could give me some pointers. Im not talking splash proof or anything like that. I sink my rig sometimes when the conditions are right but just seem to be burning out servo's.

Ive got the rest of the setup sorted. I run a brxl waterproof esc and have my rx in a ballon zip tied, rolled & zip tied again. Also the 35t cheap brush motor has a nitro air filter over the case and covers the holes into the motor.

I waterproof my servo's by pulling them apart and putting dielectric grease onto the output shaft with a small o ring. I then pull the back cover put a little dielectric grease in then use a small amount of gasket goo around both casing joins and assemble and the grease squirts out from around the output shaft. I wipe that and the gasket goo from the casing and then give it two coats of liquid tape.

They seem to work well underwater fine and for the full 45min ill be bashing for. Then on the next run/day it will be acting slow or weak then will stop.

Ive gone through 6 towerpro 996r servos and a hobbyking HK15298B & have another one on the way. I run a few of these on 7v but the last few on 6.2v off a cc bec.

Any tips on waterproofing this one?? Not sure what im doing wrong
rusty577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2013, 06:05 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Waterproofing servo's

Ppp servos don't advertise it but they are water proof, I've had 5-6 of them and they have all been submerged for a long time
srt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:02 AM   #3

I took plasti dip from Home Depot or a store like that and dip it completely then before it hardens all the way I press the servo horn on I had this setup on my ax10 and it was submerged for weeks and it still works great and make sure you grease all your bearings with marine grease to keep from rusting
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:31 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Also, make sure you are not putting too much grease and the gasket maker in it. You could be causing some binding if your "stuffing" so much in that it squirts out. I am using a hobby king servo and I put just a dab (enough to coat the gears only) and my servo seems to be doing fine. I take mine fully underwater when crossing streams and such and nothing wrong yet.
Valreesio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Buy HiTec, problem solved.
RiceBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I know I read you should just squirt all the dielectric grease over all the gear and just press it together untill it oozes out,because its grease and it will be ok,But I just recently did that and it did not work for me,,the servo hardly moved! I had to take it apart and wipe it all out and try again. This time I just piled it high on the splined gear and put the cap on. Then I took off the bottom and put it all around the bottom,from the board to the motor and where the wires lead out,then press it together and screw it.
Then I wiped it all down with acetone and sprayed like 4 light to medium coats of plastidip on it,and then put some dielectric grease on a O-ring and put it on the splined gear.

I did two servos like this,,one I did for a test and dunked it into a glass of water left powered on and submerged for 24+ hours moving it everytime I walked passed and it worked great underwater and when I took it out. and the other went in my scx10 here is my first test.... I since have tested it in other water similar to this about 4 times now and still good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkH-...xpywPQ&index=2 The first servo I didnt even plastipdip,,it was dielectric grease only. There should be no reason your burning your servo out?
ProfitOfDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #7

I know this isn't answering your question. Get on the email list at HobbyKing and try a Turnigy waterproof servo. I love mine on my SCX-10. I have hitec waterproof servo as well but I won't buy another one. I am currently on the waiting list to buy 9 more Turnigy servo. I am going to use the hitec for a shift servo on the 2 spd trans. Not that there is anything wrong with the hitec but the Turnigy seems faster and stronger. And without realizing it I have been running the Turnigy on 7.4 volts for a few months, it is not recommended and I was doing it on accident but I am going to keep doing it now as a test. Try one out, the price is right, unfortunately they haven't ever carried them at the warehouse in the states. I have not had a problem since I got it last October.
CheckMyBrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:36 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I run a savox 1230sg. I have had it under water a few times had to re-waterproof it once lol. What i do is put some white lithium grease to keep water from running down the splines other than that I sprayed the hell out of it with plasti-dip. You can get the dip cans but the spray is much easier for the servo. I waterproofed a receiver with the dip can. I put a servo extension in each slot labeled them then dipped that sucker looks like a little rubber boot now and no water is EVER making its way in there. Now I don't have to deal with dinky reciver boxes that can't fit all the wires I need to run or worry about waterproofing a project box much easier because I can yank it out and put it back in no time flat.
GuyOverThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:50 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Thanks for all the tips guys..... Not sure what im doing wrong. I dont use heaps of grease just enough around the output shaft/bearing so when the casing goes on it comes around the o ring/splines.

Also only the smallest amount of gasket goo (sensor safe) goes around the edge of the casing.

Possibly it is just a shit servo... I was sold on towerpro mg966r after the first one I had. It had just the o ring and gasket goo treatment and lasted forever. Would go under water a bit but never sunk the truck because I didnt have a waterproof brxl at the time and had it in a box I didnt trust, but every one Ive had after that has been crap. Some straight out of the box didnt work :(

Im going to try another one of these hobbyking servo's. Ill give it the same treatment and ill keep you guys posted.

Around the 2 min mark in one of my vids you will see the water I go in
Waterproof&FlexTest - YouTube

Last edited by rusty577; 04-18-2013 at 04:58 AM.
rusty577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Well you certainly are testing waterproofing the the max lol. My re-waterproofed servo is holding up so far but I havent done fully submerged river crossings again. Gotten it plenty wet though will have to see how it goes when the truck heads out for a swim.
GuyOverThere is offline   Reply With Quote

Waterproofing servo's - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Servo's OKJeepin Redcat Crawlers 9 11-27-2011 10:16 PM
2x 1/4 Servo's and 1 MM? run2jeepn Electronics 14 05-02-2008 12:19 PM