Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: MX-3 Independent Rear Steer Setup article added.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2008, 02:26 PM   #81
Dirt Addict

Location: Stumblin' thru the parking lot of an invisible 7-Eleven

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommit327 View Post
Question from a newbie and someone not to good with electrical stuff. Is it possible to wire this up for 3 position dig setup and use two momentary push buttons to achieve free wheel and locked rear with the servo? If there is what would the schematic look like for that setup? I am thinking that would be easier to use for dig than a toggle switch
There are three servo positions: left, center, right

Where do you want the servo with no buttons pushed?
Number 1 button pushed?
Number 2 button pushed?

Jay
roktoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2008, 03:52 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by roktoy View Post
There are three servo positions: left, center, right

Where do you want the servo with no buttons pushed?
Number 1 button pushed?
Number 2 button pushed?

Jay
Well the way I picture it left would be both buttons open...or normal, centered would be button one closed and right would be button two closed(button one back open I would imagine). I just wasn't sure if it could be wired up that way since normal is usually centered.

Thanks for the help
grommit327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:33 PM   #83
Dirt Addict

Ok, I think I know how to do it. Give me a day or so and I'll I'll post up a wiring diagram for your application.
Jay
Old 02-29-2008, 08:17 AM   #84
Dirt Addict

Ok, try this.

For this setup, we want the input node sitting at 5V (servo full left). Two push buttons are used.
Pressing Button 1 changes the node to ~2.5V and centers the servo. Pressing Button 2 grounds
the node and moves the servo full right.

You can change the added resistor value if you want a different mid-point voltage or change to
a potentiometer if you want an adjustable mid-point setting.

Jay
Attached Images

Last edited by roktoy; 02-29-2008 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:12 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by roktoy View Post
Ok, try this.

For this setup, we want the input node sitting at 5V (servo full left). Two push buttons are used.
Pressing Button 1 changes the node to ~2.5V and centers the servo. Pressing Button 2 grounds
the node and moves the servo full right.

You can change the added resistor value if you want a different mid-point voltage or change to
a potentiometer if you want an adjustable mid-point setting.

Jay
Alright...I will dig into it this weekend

Let's see if I got this right. One node of each switch will be wired to the center node of where the factory switch was which goes to the IC. Button one's second node will also go back to the IC with a 10K resistor (or potentiometer) inline. Button two's second node will go to the black ground wire.

Does this sound about right? Sorry for the newb questions but thanks so much for doing the schematic for me

Joe
Old 02-29-2008, 11:31 AM   #86
ghetto fabulous newbie

This might be a little easier for you.

yotachump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:40 AM   #87
Dirt Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommit327 View Post
Alright...I will dig into it this weekend

Let's see if I got this right. One node of each switch will be wired to the center node of where the factory switch was which goes to the IC. Button one's second node will also go back to the IC with a 10K resistor (or potentiometer) inline. Button two's second node will go to the black ground wire.

Does this sound about right? Sorry for the newb questions but thanks so much for doing the schematic for me

Joe
No problem. You have it right except Button one second node goes to 10k inline to GROUND....not back to IC.
Jay
Old 02-29-2008, 05:06 PM   #88

OK, I just did the 2 button momentary on switch mod. I dont have anyway to draw a picture so I will word it the best I can. I am using rear DIG and have the servo full left at normal (4X4), press button one and it gos center(free wheel), press button 2 and it gos full right(lock out). I had to wire it like this. From picture above, pull 2 wires from the far left black and wire to switchs............from one switch run wire to center circle, from other switch run wire with 10K resistor to center cirlce. nothing needs to be done with the green wire.

Tested and works.....just need to mount the switches and put back together. And from what I have been reading in the manual, you can set the EPA on the third channel.

Nathan
nathaninwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:19 PM   #89
Dirt Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotachump View Post
This might be a little easier for you.

Looks like that setup defaults to ~2.5V. Pushing the left switch would get you ground
and pushing the right switch will get you 5V.....looks like a fine setup for rear steer
but doesn't look like what he wants for the dig.

Jay
Old 02-29-2008, 07:22 PM   #90
Dirt Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathaninwa View Post
OK, I just did the 2 button momentary on switch mod. I dont have anyway to draw a picture so I will word it the best I can. I am using rear DIG and have the servo full left at normal (4X4), press button one and it gos center(free wheel), press button 2 and it gos full right(lock out). I had to wire it like this. From picture above, pull 2 wires from the far left black and wire to switchs............from one switch run wire to center circle, from other switch run wire with 10K resistor to center cirlce. nothing needs to be done with the green wire.

Tested and works.....just need to mount the switches and put back together. And from what I have been reading in the manual, you can set the EPA on the third channel.

Nathan
Sounds good. You just swapped the wires a bit to a slightly different configuration. Yes, EPAs built in.

Jay
Old 03-04-2008, 12:50 PM   #91

Alright....did it this weekend and it works good like I had hoped. The damn push buttons from Radioshack suck though. I need to find some better ones as these won't close the contacts consistently and the slightest jiggle with your finger allows them to open up.

Thanks for all the help with this
Joe
Old 03-15-2008, 12:10 AM   #92
Rock Crawler

Well, first off let me say that I don't have the most experience when it comes to wiring electrical circuits. I followed the guides and pictures here the best that I could and heres what I came up with.

Now the problem is that when I switch the switch into the down position, it turns my radio off. But it does move the servo. when I switch it to the up position, nothing happens, but the radio stays on. Neutral returns the servo to center and leaves the radio on. I hope you guys can help me!
TylerV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:17 AM   #93
ghetto fabulous newbie

doesn't look like you removed the 3 channel switch from the circuit board.Maybe that could be the problem
yotachump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:00 AM   #94
Rock Crawler

It may not look like it but I did remove the original two position switch from the board. The solder wick that I was using wasn't removing the solder from the posts so I used some snips to remove the switch from the other side. Do you think that it would matter if there's still little pieces soldered in there?
Old 03-17-2008, 01:21 AM   #95
Rock Crawler

Well I'm an idiot. Turns out having the right resistor actually makes a difference .
Old 04-10-2008, 04:39 PM   #96

I have the MX3 2.4 and cannot remove the 10K ohm resistor because of the circuit board for the antenna. Can I do a STAGE 2 without removal of the 10K resistor or do a STAGE 1 and set my EPA off the center? Example - set one way to 100 and the other to 50 percent. Thanks in advance....
torcez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:19 PM   #97
Dirt Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by torcez View Post
I have the MX3 2.4 and cannot remove the 10K ohm resistor because of the circuit board for the antenna. Can I do a STAGE 2 without removal of the 10K resistor or do a STAGE 1 and set my EPA off the center? Example - set one way to 100 and the other to 50 percent. Thanks in advance....
I *think* it will work if you use a 25k pot to GND in place of the 10k resistor and pot. Let me know.
Jay
Old 04-10-2008, 07:40 PM   #98

Thanks for the quick answer. I did the STAGE 1 to see how it would work. I think that i can adjust my dig in the netural position and in the center (off) of the toggle and then set the EPA. Have not got the dig yet, I keep you posted on if it works or not. Thank you
torcez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:44 PM   #99
Dirt Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by torcez View Post
Thanks for the quick answer. I did the STAGE 1 to see how it would work. I think that i can adjust my dig in the netural position and in the center (off) of the toggle and then set the EPA. Have not got the dig yet, I keep you posted on if it works or not. Thank you

If you're just doing dig and don't need even left/right throw, I think you could just do the stage 2 and leave the 10k resistor in.
Then just clock the servo arm to get the rough location and use the trim to fine tune.

Jay
Old 04-13-2008, 05:29 PM   #100
Pebble Pounder

did this mod to the mx3-s and it works but it seems like I'm getting rf interference from the switch to the antenna, and it is causing the servos to twitch. I can get it to stop, but when I put it back together it starts again.

Any ideas?
Mikey007 is offline   Reply With Quote