Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Running Savox Servos Now!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 12:17 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Question Running Savox Servos Now!

So I've been a Hitec servo guy for several several years on every type of r/c. I only got into a couple of Savox servos because not only are they cheap, they're fast, available in low profile, and metal/steel geared.

I'm in the process of building a 1.9 EB Bronco Wraith on SCX10 axles for a go-fast lightweight KOH rig and for $75 the Savox SA-1230SG seems like a great deal for 500oz @ 6.0V. Downside is it is a tad slower producing that much torque, but the upside is I can use it again in other applications.

I see on RPP that the specs only go up to 6.0V does that mean this particular Savox servo cannot handle 7.4V off the CC BEC?

Any other recommendations on a fast steel/metal geared servo under $100 would be great!! It's only a 1.9'r and lightweight so I doubt I'd even need the power of a 7955TG.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2013, 06:13 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Running Savox Servos Now!

I have that exact servo in my wraith that runs off it's own 2c life battery that is 7.4v at full charge and 6.6v nominal. It works just fine so far.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Why not keep it Hitec and go with what is proven reliable over the crapbox servos that have proven not. But a Hitec once, or buy something else and then once that cheap servo causes a bunch of issues and burns some other electronics up, buy a Hitec.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I have used savox servos in a lot of my scale trucks without any issues an they get run through a lot of water and mud.
mikeman84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Everyone I know that has tried Savox has gone back to Hitec. Savox is crap from what I've seen. I only run Hitec or Futaba.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Every time I see one of these threads I notice that the author posts up a few weeks later about something crapping out on them.

Servo's are one of the places you have to spend a little money to get something decent.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
Everyone I know that has tried Savox has gone back to Hitec. Savox is crap from what I've seen. I only run Hitec or Futaba.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark View Post
Every time I see one of these threads I notice that the author posts up a few weeks later about something crapping out on them.

Servo's are one of the places you have to spend a little money to get something decent.

Exactly. The only el cheapo servo I have ran with any luck are EXI from hobby partz ($16 each, I bought 4) in my short course trucks. I run them at 8.2 volts. They are 50/50. The first couple lasted a long time. The last couple did not. I have a new Hitecs waiting to go in, I just semi retired from SC racing so I am not to worried about them right now.

My LHS sells a ton of crapbox servos. They carry cases and gears. The do not carry any parts for Hitec, they have never needed them. That says a lot about the quality of each brand to me
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violator View Post
Why not keep it Hitec and go with what is proven reliable over the crapbox servos that have proven not. But a Hitec once, or buy something else and then once that cheap servo causes a bunch of issues and burns some other electronics up, buy a Hitec.
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violator View Post
Exactly. The only el cheapo servo I have ran with any luck are EXI from hobby partz ($16 each, I bought 4) in my short course trucks. I run them at 8.2 volts. They are 50/50. The first couple lasted a long time. The last couple did not. I have a new Hitecs waiting to go in, I just semi retired from SC racing so I am not to worried about them right now.

My LHS sells a ton of crapbox servos. They carry cases and gears. The do not carry any parts for Hitec, they have never needed them. That says a lot about the quality of each brand to me
Winnah winnah, chicken dinnah!

I bought 4 once. 3 out of the 4 burnt up. 1 after the first outing, the other 2 on the bench setting endpoints. The 4th blew a bearing on the first run.

Back to hitech for me.
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #9

I love my savox in a tamiya xv01 rally car, way faster and torqueier by far. Holds up great to Colorado weather racing in snow and mud. Doesn't take as much abuse as in a truck because it's always at speed but I'm hooked for my go fast stuff. 1251 low profile. I still run Hitec 7980 in all my trucks tho.
lone wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:43 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Interesting feedback...seems like most of you veteran off-road guys prefer Hitec or Futaba. Obviously we know these are the two most expensive servo brands out there for a reason.

I only heard of Savox servos maybe a little over 1.5 years ago when I used to race on-road 1/10 TC's. Our local racers there swear by them (maybe because they're cheap and faster compared to Futaba's prices for similar speeds). I suppose it's the fact on-road definitely doesn't require as much torque as off-road applications.

Well since this 1.9 rig is just a trail rig with monster power let's see how long it holds up lol!

And yeah always fun to move rocks out of the way with just your servo's monstrous torque so you don't have to take that reverse penalty lol.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:50 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

I never had any luck with HiTech. The best servo I ever bought was an airtronics. Bought it for my first truck in 2009 and am still using it today. I have a Savox in my Bully. I can't comment on it because I haven't run it very much but it seems to be ok, a little noisy though. The only way I will run another Hitech is if it is free.
Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:23 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

HiTec only here, for all things comp&scale, SC stuff i love the twitchy Spectrum 6040....IMHO these are the best servos.
TheAxialNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:12 AM   #13
RCC Addict

I ran a savox in my summit with my 40 series Rock crushers only because I wanted to try something new to be able to say I did!
I am a hitec man and always have been and always will be, BUT I have to say the savox (1231) I had was great and I had no issues with it at all and have nothing bad to say! When I sold the summit, I kept the servo and put it on my losi 8eight t before selling it. But overall I liked the savox alot and it had a cheaper price tag that the equivalent hitec... BUT I know hitec has A very good reputation and has for a long time.
Just my $.02 on savox
1r3land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Never had an issue with Savox in my rigs but I did have bunch of problems with a 7980 in my XR10.. .02
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Any brand servo can fail before it's time. What keeps me going back to hitec is if they fail you can send it to them and in a couple weeks you get it back working again for free.

Savox has a one year warranty that does not cover gears, bearings or normal wear and tear. They will fix those issues at the owners cost though. Hitec has a two year warranty and they don't really care what the problem is as long as the servo hasn't been modified. I've also seen plenty of cases were someone has sent a hitec in past the warranty with no paper work and they still fixed it for free.

I'll gladly pay a little more upfront for a hitec.
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote

Running Savox Servos Now! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tale of 2 servos savox 1258tg, spektrum s6040 budhatrain Electronics 5 01-21-2013 07:08 PM
Savox servos slobin3d Electronics 20 08-10-2010 04:06 AM