Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Alternatives to Lipo for Crawling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Alternatives to Lipo for Crawling

My sister and I are just getting into rc rock crawling. I bought a honcho, she bought a wrangler unlimited. Along the way I decided that we should both go with Lipo's. I figured it's the best, so why not? Along the way I've learned all about how these batteries need to be treated with care. Just the other day I finally got around to soldering some deans connectors on my truck and battery so I could take her out for a shakedown.

Even though I felt educated on all things Lipo, I was still nervous while the battery was charging. In the end, I made all the right safety calls and nothing blew up. Yay!

I'm thinking that my sister may not be as willing as I am to go through the same process. I think she would prefer to not have to solder new ends on stuff.

What's a less tempermental alternative for crawling? I just think it would be easier for her. I'm looking for something around 5000 MaH that has a Tamiya connector on it.

Thanks
CHawk68462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Alternatives to Lipo for Crawling

NiMH batteries. Old stuff though. Not nearly as long a run time.
808DA6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Nimh or the LIfe batteries are your only real options.
But they both have drawbacks.

1st thing you can do, GET RID OF THOSE TAMIYA CONNECTORS... ASAP..
Those things have so much resistance, they will get hot and will solder themselves together.
Soldering them really shouldn't be a problem, as long as you do ONE lead at a time.

Get yourself an old ammo can, and store your lipos in there. If there is a problem and one does start on fire, it won't burn anything down.
Second, as with ANY battery, you have to watch it while it is charging. ANY BATERY..
All batteries are dangerous and especially when they are charging.

I will saythis, YES, Lipos are a dangerous battery. But dangerous is a relative term.
You have to handle them properly, make sure you don't discharge them too far, and charge them properly.
A good quality Lipo charger takes care of the charging.
An ammo case takes care of the storage.
And making sure you have a speed controller with lipo cutoff handles the discharging...
bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
RCC Addict

NiMH is alternative to running lipos. As stated above the run time will be less per pack.

A Deans connector will work better regardless if it is on a lipo or NiMH battery.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

There are alot of dangerous tools in the world, treat them with some respect and you'll be good.

And solder the connectors for her, that's why you're the brother man
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Just be the "better brother" and set the batts up for your sister. ;)
808DA6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Nothing to be afraid of with lipos. They're only a teeny bit more sensitive than anything else, but they do have greater capacity, lighter weight and more current (ha!) support in the industry. Also, Tamiya connectors were created by satan, when he was drunk and feeling spiteful.
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Go crawling with your sis for a couple hours, now that you have the Deans. Then compare temps on your connectors. Then fix her up, bro.
KJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:34 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Thanks for all the feedback. I relayed some of the thoughts in this thread and I think my sister is warming up to the idea of using a Lipo. I'm on the hunt for one online right now. I went with a Turnigy 5200 MaH from Hobbyking. This battery is currently backordered. I'm wondering what other brands are worth getting.

I'm thinking this, but don't know anything about Zippy's reputation.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16784

Last edited by CHawk68462; 05-08-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHawk68462 View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. I relayed some of the thoughts in this thread and I think my sister is warming up to the idea of using a Lipo. I'm on the hunt for one online right now. I went with a Turnigy 5200 MaH from Hobbyking. This battery is currently backordered. I'm wondering what other brands are worth getting.

ZIPPY Flightmax 5000mAh 2S1P 30C hardcase pack (ROAR APPROVED) (USA Warehouse)
Check out the Sky Lipos from Shop for RC Hobby Parts and Upgrades - Digital Servos, Brushless Motors, ESC, LiPo Batteries/Chargers for RC Helicopters, RC Planes, RC Cars, Robots

Gens Ace is also another good brand.

Of course you could always buy batteries from a few places that sell them with the Deans plugs already installed on them. You end up paying more for the batteries...so its up to you...cheaper battery and do a little work or pay 3-5 times as much to have the plug on it already. Obviously the price difference isnt just because of the plug, but essentially that's what it comes down to in this instance.

Last edited by ittybitty; 05-08-2013 at 01:06 PM.
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Both hobbypartz and hobbyking are out of stock in most of what I'd consider my target battery (5000-5300 MaH, 25-40c, 2S lipo.) : /
Old 05-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstu View Post
Get yourself an old ammo can, and store your lipos in there.
That is a damn good idea. I'm going to have to find one now.
d1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Both hobbypartz and hobbyking are out of stock in most of what I'd consider my target battery (5000-5300 MaH, 25-40c, 2S lipo.) : /
If you're wanting a pack that you can buy...charge...and run then I'd suggest something like this GForce 25C 5000mah battery that Value Hobby sells. They are based in Illinois and have always shipped the same or next day for me.

Value Hobby R/C Hobby Store (Addison, Illinois): GForce 25C 5000mAh 2S 7.4V Car LiPO

It already has a Deans plug on it so you'd just need to convert your trucks with a female Deans ultra plug.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittybitty View Post
If you're wanting a pack that you can buy...charge...and run then I'd suggest something like this GForce 25C 5000mah battery that Value Hobby sells. They are based in Illinois and have always shipped the same or next day for me.

Value Hobby R/C Hobby Store (Addison, Illinois): GForce 25C 5000mAh 2S 7.4V Car LiPO

It already has a Deans plug on it so you'd just need to convert your trucks with a female Deans ultra plug.
You've had a good experience with these? If so, that looks like a solid idea.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I haven't run that particular battery, but I ran the 800 3S GForce packs as well as the 500 size with good results. I stopped running them once I moved to the Gens Ace 450 packs...due to size and cost. You won't find too many...if any other LiPos in this price range that come with a Deans style plug at this price point
Old 05-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

ZIPPY Flightmax 5000mAh 2S1P 30C hardcase pack (ROAR APPROVED) (USA Warehouse)
I run a zippy lipo (2s 5700 mah 50C) and it has been a great battery. You cannot beat them for the price. I put my battery through hell every time I take it out. It tumbles, swims, and vibrates all the time and still runs strong.
Valreesio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:34 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
... may not be as willing as I am to go through the same process. I think she would prefer to not have to solder new ends on stuff.
Since it's the soldering you see as the main issue, not the battery type, I suggest you find out what batteries you want that come ready with good connectors.
Then get the same type connector for the ESC and you're good to go!

I use batteries from HobbyKing, and these come with XT60 type connectors. Therefore XT60 is the connector standard I use. (And I also think XT60 is superior to Deans in terms of safety, since neither the male nor female connector have exposed leads!)
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:46 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

XT60's also have less resistance and can handle higher amp loads than the deans, but that's beside the point. One easy way to have safe lipo's is to have good charging equipment. Cheap chargers CAN start lipo's on fire...at the very least ruin the packs over time. Other than that, lipo's themselves are a lot safer now than they were a few years ago. They have evolved greatly!
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:31 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

I use these. 7 dollars shipped from New York. Shipping time is fast, too. They last 30 minutes or more in my comp and scale vehicles

7 4V 1600mAh 20c LiPo Battery 1 18 Car RC Traxxas Tamiya HPI Mini Z | eBay
z50king is offline   Reply With Quote

Alternatives to Lipo for Crawling - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
couple vids from today, one 6s lipo and the second on 2s crawling evan03 Axial Wraith 23 03-17-2013 09:46 AM
Body alternatives? Gadgetguy Redcat Crawlers 4 09-10-2010 12:12 AM
Alternatives to spazstix? evlwevl Paint and Body 4 04-03-2010 03:33 PM
is this a good lipo for crawling? eddiebelanger Electronics 3 11-12-2007 10:00 AM
Driveshaft Alternatives Edward531 HPI Wheely King 16 10-25-2007 02:04 PM