Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Tekin RS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #1

Default Tekin RS

Hello everybody, I am usually just a lurker as this is a very informative site and can usually find the info I am looking for through the search function.....but not this time. So the rig I am running is the scx10 Honcho. I primarily run it on local trails and what not. I had been running a traxxas xl-5 esc with a 27 turn brushed motor....that is until my esc quit....no biggie . I have a spare tekin RS esc layin around so I am gonna run that with my 27 turn brushed motor. I have looked around tryin to find out if I can run my 3s lipo's with my 27t motor......or would the esc be rated same as the tekin fxr, 3s on 35t and up only? Any info is greatly appreciated
bash-crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Tekin RS

The limit for the RS brushed is 8 turns forward only and 10 turns forward/reverse.
DRTMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTMI View Post
The limit for the RS brushed is 8 turns forward only and 10 turns forward/reverse.
Thanks for your reply but I am aware of the brushed motor turn limits, what I'm trying to figure out is, is it safe to my 27 turn brushed motor on 3s lipo or should I stick with running my 2s lipo with that set up?
Old 05-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Something does not compute.........

Tekin RS ESC is not able to power brushed motors, you need to trade/buy a FX-r/pro, RS ESC is more for a SCT, or Wraith (Ultimate 4), I would try a 13.5 Turn Sensored, if you don't wana do all that, def. use a HotWire and set-up the ESC and IMO use a 3s. The RS should easily handle it.....

I have both FX-r and Pro version and will never buy a 2s again, I run 3s on everything now....make sure you run a BEC if you use a high torque servo or the ESC WILL burn up! My set-up: FX-r, 3s (1800 mah, 25-30c), stock 27T (Green Motor), CC BEC, Hitec 7950TG.

Good Luck!

Last edited by TheAxialNut; 05-12-2013 at 09:30 PM.
TheAxialNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxialNut View Post
Something does not compute.........

Tekin RS ESC is not able to power brushed motors, you need to trade/buy a FX-r/pro, RS ESC is more for a SCT, or Wraith (Ultimate 4), I would try a 13.5 Turn Sensored, if you don't wana do all that, def. use a HotWire and set-up the ESC and IMO use a 3s. The RS should easily handle it.....

I have both FX-r and Pro version and will never buy a 2s again, I run 3s on everything now....make sure you run a BEC if you use a high torque servo or the ESC WILL burn up!

Good Luck!
Yes it does power brushed motors. From their manual: Tekin - Smarter, Smaller, Faster
First line of the features section.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bash-crash View Post
Thanks for your reply but I am aware of the brushed motor turn limits, what I'm trying to figure out is, is it safe to my 27 turn brushed motor on 3s lipo or should I stick with running my 2s lipo with that set up?
Safe for the ESC? Yes. Safe for the motor? Depends how long you want it to last.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTMI View Post
Yes it does power brushed motors. From their manual: Tekin - Smarter, Smaller, Faster
First line of the features section.

My bad, never seen anyone run a brushed motor on a RS esc...............
TheAxialNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #8

The tekin rs is rated to use 10 turn brushed motors in forward and reverse mode and a 8 turn in forward only mode. So I am extremely far away from the brushed motor limit. Just wondering if I can run a 3s lipo on a 27 turn motor without burning anything up? As I see the fxr has a 35 turn motor limit for 3s, I was wondering if that would be the case for the RS esc also. Thanks for the responses I have had already
Old 05-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

That combo will work fine, the RS is good for a 10t on 3s. That 27 turn is not a very hot motor. I've run a stock 27t Axial motor for a year on 3s.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:46 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxialNut View Post
My bad, never seen anyone run a brushed motor on a RS esc...............
it's not your fault. Most people don't waste money and run an RS in brushed mode.
z50king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by z50king View Post
it's not your fault. Most people don't waste money and run an RS in brushed mode.
Good point! But I just happen to have it laying around so I figure I might as well throw it in. Otherwise I would not purchase this esc just to put in my honcho