Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Looking for Radio ideas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Looking for Radio ideas

Hi,

I bought a scx10 and I fell inlove with crawling and started to expand my RC stable... Just like my garage....... I currently am running a mt-4 in the SCX10, I am looking to get another radio for the other vehicles (2) as the receivers for the mt-4 are so expensive. I am looking for a 4 channel radio as they all have winches and such. I would love input!
Huber1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #2

Default Re: Looking for Radio ideas

flysky gt3b.

imho the best bang for your buck budget radio ever. even better after hacked.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Did you hack it yourself or have someone do it?
Huber1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

4pl
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

One of the Futaba 4 channels. The recievers are only like $40
micro racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huber1918 View Post
you can buy them hacked from Overkill RC (losikid).
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huber1918 View Post
i bought it pre-hacked from losikid. actually just ordered another for a backup in case i drop the current one in the river or something.

dont get me wrong, futaba is SOLID. but the 'cheap' futaba recievers being 'only' 40 bucks are still more than 4 times what a flysky reciever costs. i think i paid like 7 bucks a piece for some 3ch flysky rx's last time i bought some.

the hacked radio takes some learning to get how to adjust everything, (it is a hack afterall...) but there are a couple real good writeups and threads where you can ask questions on how to get it to do what you want it to.

all my praise for the hacked gt3b i must say its definitely more of a bitch to learn how program compared to a specky or futaba. but for me the pros outweigh the cons.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #8
RCC Addict

You're absolutely right about the futaba units being solid and pricy, when compared to the flysky stuff.
But I have seen the flysky loose bind when they go underwater. Never seen a futaba loose bind, even under water.
At least not until the truck required a fishing pole to be pulled from the depths.

Futaba is good stuff and they have good customer support. I have a 4pl and a 4pk right now. And I don't plan on selling either of them any time soon.
bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #9
RCC Addict

R.O.C.K. .C.R.A.W.L.E.R

Not

S.U.B.M.A.R.I.N.E.

;)

you can pick up a hacked Gt3B on the board for about $65, I have done it twice and both times I got a 6ch and a 3ch RX with them. Rx's are like 8 bucks!
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstu View Post
You're absolutely right about the futaba units being solid and pricy, when compared to the flysky stuff.
But I have seen the flysky loose bind when they go underwater. Never seen a futaba loose bind, even under water.
At least not until the truck required a fishing pole to be pulled from the depths.

Futaba is good stuff and they have good customer support. I have a 4pl and a 4pk right now. And I don't plan on selling either of them any time soon.
some of my spektrum rx's would drop signal the second they went underwater. sofar i havent had any issues with the flysky, even in my jetboat, but to be honest i cant remember if ive really submerged a flysky rx since i swapped to it. i think i have, but i dont wanna say i have if im not sure.

i got a 4pk in my hobby room with a days use on it. it would be my go-to radio if it had a momentary 3pos switch. that little feature is why i still use the flysky. ...and 7 buck rx's certainly dont hurt.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

The Futaba 4PL is a great 4 channel radio from a great Mfr. Additional RX's are "reasonable" for a name brand radio.

My son runs a 4PL. I'm a Futaba fan (I have 7 of them from FM up to a 3PM-x).

A hacked GT3B or GT3C is more capable and a LOT less $. Support here for the radio is great.
I also run a hacked GT3B in my 2.2 MOA comp rig. No issues thus far.

I also have 2 GT3C's that I hope to hack sometime soon.

As to "losing bind" when a GT3B goes underwater, that's a new one on me.
As to any 2.4ghz radio losing signal when under water, well, that's an issue with 2.4ghz. They are more picky than a AM or FM radio.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #12
Got Worms?

If you got/want a scaler, hacked flysky...if you comp consider a futaba/higher end radio. Flyskys will work good for comps too but some people prefer high quality radios.

For scalers you can run up to 8 channels on the flysky. So front/rear winches, lights, dig, 4 wheel steer, etc. futaba's your stuck to 4 channels . They're also affordable and i've had people buy them because they're expendable so they can let their kids use em or take em out and not afraid to drop them, scratch them up, drop it in the lake, throw it in the bed of the pickup and let it bounce around, not have to keep a hawk eye on it afraid someone will steal it, etc.

They work good for comp rigs too. Supports dual esc with alot of button options, 4ws mixing, etc.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote

Looking for Radio ideas - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SEVERE RADIO Glitching problem, Any ideas?? jcboof Electronics 14 12-03-2009 10:43 PM
What radios are you guys using? stick radio or pistol grip radio?? yellowpasta2000 Newbie General 14 11-28-2009 09:10 AM
Swapping radio types and Many ideas floating around Tonsa Electronics 3 02-05-2006 06:32 PM