Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Do I need to replace my Radio system?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Do I need to replace my Radio system?

Hello,
I have an axial wraith and I was told to but an external BEC on there because I am running a Hitec servo with 611 oz. of torque (HS-7985th) anyway my problem lies with when I drive about 30 feet it looses connection and It has been doing this for about a month now, it just stops and starts going forward by itself, know when I say "going forward" it just about 4 inches away from where it stoped, it doesn't brown out or run away from me its not that. Should I put a Spektrum DX3c system or is it something else? I need to know so I can order what I need and not worry about it anymore. The ESC I am running is a Tekin RS with a 13.5t motor and will be change soon to a 10.5t but I have to fix the lose of connection issues before I do so. And there is NO interference, I made sure of that. If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it Thank you.
axial 4x4 crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Do I need to replace my Radio system?

How are the TX batteries? One of them could be low.

Is the RX antenna away from the ESC, motor & motor wires? It should be.
Is the RX antenna wadded up or stretched out? It should be stretched out.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
Got Worms?

get a bec, if that doesn't fix it then get a new radio.
Get a futaba or a hacked flysky....
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Hello, thank you for your help. I replaced batteries in my radio system but did not fix the problem. So I just ordered a brand new futaba 3 pm 3 channel with the 3 channel receiver and should be in by the 22, cant wait, yeah 180 on the card!
Old 05-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

So you run a 611 ozin servo with no external BEC?? if yes then I think you will still run into problems even the new radio may solved your range problem.

BTW waht is a 7985TH servo? never heard on this one and can't seems to able to search it... Is it a 7980TH?

Last edited by Colgout; 05-19-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Colgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colgout View Post
So you run a 611 ozin servo with no external BEC?? if yes then I think you will still run into problems even the new radio may solved your range problem.

BTW waht is a 7985TH servo? never heard on this one and can't seems to able to search it... Is it a 7980TH?
Yes I think it was a typo, the 7985 is a MG & 172oz, the 7980 is 611oz

But deff NEED a CCBEC on that 7980 for sure!! That thing prob goes wacky without one lol
1r3land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Yes I do have an external 10 amp BEC from Castle Creations and my mistake the servo is the HS-7980TH with 611 oz., I was told by a few other techs. that I called and he told me to replace the radio system which I ordered about 2 hours ago (Futaba 3 pm) and anyway, when I get that new radio system all mounted up and made sure the TX have batteries what happens if it still loses connection? Because my tekin RS ESC is working just fine so is the motor and the BEC is working 100%, as well as my hitec, so it couldn't be anything else besides the radio system.
And with a 2s lipo. Thank you for replying, I do appreciate it.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:18 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Look like you got it well sorted then...
Colgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:48 PM   #9
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by axial 4x4 crawler View Post
...ordered a brand new futaba 3 pm ... yeah 180 on the card!

my .02 , return that radio, $180 is WAY to much for that radio. Turn around and buy a Futaba 4pl or save some cash and go with a hacked flysky.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Can I ask why? The futaba is priced liked that on every website that I check, and like I stated earlier I only need a 3 channel, I think futaba's are more reliable than flysky NO OFFENESE that's just I what I buy, I heard that the 3 pm is way better than spectrum and is very good system. Besides I have been spending tons of money on my wraith so far and cant afford to much anymore aalready put $1300 into it, I really don't feel like spending anymore money than I just did on that radio system. And a few techs. that I called told me to put this system in it, and emailed them they also sed the same thing, I just wanted to double check before buying this system, Is the futaba better quality than flysky?
Old 05-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #11
RCC Addict

What losikid is saying for that amount of money you may aswell get something much better and more worth while. Does the 3 pm have a 3 pos switch? If it doesn't...well thats wayyyy too much, and if it does it's still too much. Losikid stocks hacked flyskys that do everything you could ever want and more for just over $100 with heaps of options. You can have 6ch's easy and can have proprtional mixing, 4ws, run multiple acessories no problem. With very good quality. Futaba has good quality it's just the price and what your getting. Go with flysky hacked and you'll never regret it. Just my 0.02.
pajey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:59 PM   #12
Got Worms?

If you want a futaba, thats fine its a great radio. BUT i recommend 100% against a futaba 3pm for $180. The Futaba 4pl is 1000x better and only costs a hair more for a new one or buy a used one for less than $180...also, the 3pm is not way better than a spektrum, i'd rather have a spektrum dx3r than a 3pm.

I think most people will agree, i'm kinda a radio guru....and i'm confident you will regret buying that 3pm.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:01 AM   #13
Got Worms?

I don't have one, but i'd almost bet that someone has a old 3pm laying around they'd sale for less than 50 bucks (I'd probably give it away)....they are kinda worthless, the 3pmx is alittle better but the 4pl is still a much better radio than that 3pm
Old 05-21-2013, 12:12 AM   #14
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajey View Post
What losikid is saying for that amount of money you may aswell get something much better and more worth while. Does the 3 pm have a 3 pos switch? If it doesn't...well thats wayyyy too much, and if it does it's still too much. Losikid stocks hacked flyskys that do everything you could ever want and more for just over $100 with heaps of options. You can have 6ch's easy and can have proprtional mixing, 4ws, run multiple acessories no problem. With very good quality. Futaba has good quality it's just the price and what your getting. Go with flysky hacked and you'll never regret it. Just my 0.02.
A 3pm doesn't have an actual 3 position....you got to use two switches operating the same channel to get 3 positions and its kinda a pita.

The 3pmx does have alot more options switch wise (its has 3 position and a step rate type switch)...which makes it alot more capable but still far from a $180 radio.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Ok, can you tell me why though? I look up used ones for up to 340 bucks around their so don't hold me to it. But for that money I can buy 3 lipos and other parts, I don't need more than a 3 channel radio , and yes I think they are worth it, because it works great, I just had to adjust my trims that's all. So the 4pl is way to much money, I cant even fork out an extra dime on this wraith. and besides, the 3pm-x was recommended by a few techs I called and few other guys that race, I don't need anything to fancy, I now that you are trying to help, its just that the 3 pm-x is a great radio system for me, and Its all ready to go in the wraith all mounted up, wires organized, and ready to bash! But thanks for your help, I do appreciate it .
Old 05-24-2013, 10:08 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I run several radios from Dx3e, Dx3s, 2PL, 4PL, and a handful of cheapy RTR 2.4Ghz Team Associated radios in case I ever want to sell the entire r/c as ARTR just add batteries.

I even run a 12+ year old Tamiya FM 2 channel radio in my TT-01E simply because it's just a fast basher car with minor aluminum upgrades such as aluminum center drive shaft, Sidewinder SV2/6900kv and some old HPI Sprint aluminum oil filled shocks to replace the stock plastic ones.

If you don't care too much about digital response speed from TX to RX which in turn would affect your lap times in racing on/off road you really don't need anything more than a Dx3e for crawling unless you want to get into mixing for dual MOA rigs. Really the benefit of the 4PL is targeted as an awesome sport radio for racers and crawlers alike.

Digital mixing, easy setups, awesome adjustments, easy EPA's since it's all digital, fail safes, etc....list goes on and on. But for surface radios I will always choose Futaba hands down.

I've had too many issues with my Dx3e and my Dx3s 20% of the time bugs out...either won't link with the receiver or I have to recalibrate the TX to the ESC again. Something about Spektrum....oh well. Maybe their new Dx4e is a significant improvement...
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:14 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Ok, can you tell me why though? I look up used ones for up to 340 bucks around their so don't hold me to it. But for that money I can buy 3 lipos and other parts, I don't need more than a 3 channel radio , and yes I think they are worth it, because it works great, I just had to adjust my trims that's all. So the 4pl is way to much money, I cant even fork out an extra dime on this wraith. and besides, the 3pm-x was recommended by a few techs I called and few other guys that race, I don't need anything to fancy, I now that you are trying to help, its just that the 3 pm-x is a great radio system for me, and Its all ready to go in the wraith all mounted up, wires organized, and ready to bash! But thanks for your help, I do appreciate it .
OK, stop, do you have a 3PM-x or a 3PM???? While they sound the same, the 3rd channel is one of the biggest differences with the 3PM-x being the better of the 2.

I run a 3PM-x in my 2.2 Bully and like it. I ran a servo dig in it at first, then a WantAmix with dual ESC's.

My only real issue with the 3PM-x is that additional RX's are almost the cost of a hacked GT3B.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:30 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Used 4pl > new 3pm
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:29 AM   #19
Got Worms?

Quote:
Ok, can you tell me why though?
Simple, you'll regret it when you get a dual esc moa or want to add accessories to a scalar thats controlled by your controller.

Quote:
I look up used ones for up to 340 bucks around their so don't hold me to it. But for that money I can buy 3 lipos and other parts,
Bull spickty spat, tcs crawlers has em brand new for 250 Futaba 4PL 4-Channel 2.4GHz S-FHSS Transmitter/Receiver #FUTK1400 - The Crawlers Store LLC

I also see them in the rcc classifieds every now and then for less than $200 and i've seen sells where they are $215 .... I keep up with the prices to make sure my flyskys are still more affordable

Quote:
I don't need more than a 3 channel radio , and yes I think they are worth it, because it works great, I just had to adjust my trims that's all.
It works great because you can adjust your trims? Hell, even a $10 traxxas TQ2 has trims you can adjust.

I'm not saying its a bad radio, but a futaba 3pm (as you orginally said) isn't worth anywhere close to 180...even a 3pmx isn't worth that unless you're racing and need the FASST. The 3pmx is the budget racing radio and the 4pl is the budget crawling radio. The 4pks is the do it all radio.

Quote:
So the 4pl is way to much money,
See above....you are misinformed.

Quote:
I cant even fork out an extra dime on this wraith.
Then why buy such an expensive radio?

Quote:
and besides, the 3pm-x was recommended by a few techs I called and few other guys that race, I don't need anything to fancy,
I bet those techs know 100% nothing about rc rock crawling....

Quote:
I now that you are trying to help,
I'm trying to save you $180 ... believe me, i'm a radio guru and i get emails all the time about people switching from their radios to my flysky's. Only radios, crawler wise, i can't/won't argue about you getting for crawler stuff is my flyskys, the futaba 4pl, or a futaba 4pks. If you're on a budget or need the extra channels, get one of my flysky's. The 4pl is a budget higher quality radio, and the 4pks is the expensive 4 channel do it all radio (my flysky's still has more channels though , so it can do more in depending on the application)

Quote:
its just that the 3 pm-x is a great radio system for me,
Because a tech who gets paid $8/hr told you that?

Quote:
and Its all ready to go in the wraith all mounted up, wires organized, and ready to bash! But thanks for your help, I do appreciate it .

Do I need to replace my Radio system? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Radio System cherokeexjwheeler Electronics 14 03-09-2013 05:05 PM
in the market for a new radio system, need help... madmaxxed Electronics 11 03-22-2008 09:57 PM
which radio system is better Wicked_Jester Electronics 2 05-23-2007 07:09 PM
Radio system?? bnoland Newbie General 2 02-27-2007 03:28 PM