RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   motor getting to hot (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/446237-motor-getting-hot.html)

chevycraft 05-25-2013 08:00 AM

motor getting to hot

I just got what was supposed to be a new Novak goat 3 system .....everything seems fine except the motor is getting to hot to fast ....even with the system out of the truck and the motor out it seems to get hot to fast cant even hold it ..ran it at low rpm and it ran for like 30 seconds and I seen smoke ...i have programed it twice and program is right ...any way to check the motor ...also wires seem to get just warm ... HELP !!!!PLEASE !!

EddieO 05-25-2013 08:07 AM

Re: motor getting to hot

Truck?

Gearing?

Battery?

Details help solve problems... But I will almost bet it was overgeared.

Later EddieO

Nocturnalsixer 05-25-2013 08:11 AM

Like Eddie said, you might need to drop few tooth counts on the pinion that should help

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

chevycraft 05-25-2013 08:12 AM

3 cell lipo ...can`t be gearing if the motor is out of the truck .....and truck type really doesn`t matter if it`s not in the truck .....Details were pretty clear I think...

Calderwood 05-25-2013 08:27 AM

Smoke and fire is normal for novak.

Charlie-III 05-25-2013 09:40 AM

Does the motor run when you try it?
Did the motor run good before, or is it new/new to you?
Does the motor spin easily when not powered?
Are you on different brush hoods or the same one (should be on different).

Yes, I caught that it does the same even with the motor out of the truck.

PS, what motor? is the motor type (brushed vs. brushless) set correctly in the ESC???

2.slowduo 05-25-2013 11:42 AM

Not the same esc. But my. Sw3. Was set to brushless when I got it and running a brushed motor
It would spark and smoke and get hot really fast. Reset to brushed and all good

Don't know if the goat is the same

alexchen86 05-25-2013 11:50 AM

Never really was a fan of Novak electronics when I was doing on-road 1/10 TC racing. A lot better brands and quality out there for similar pricing, but I was a newbie at the time.

Now to the OP smoke coming out of any electronics is bad news regardless low rpm or when you're blasting down a straightaway on a track. If it's stock gearing I'd try re-calibrating everything from your radio system to your ESC to your motor. Check all wiring and try again.

If it smokes call Novak.

Charlie-III 05-25-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexchen86 (Post 4336136)
Never really was a fan of Novak electronics when I was doing on-road 1/10 TC racing. A lot better brands and quality out there for similar pricing, but I was a newbie at the time.

Now to the OP smoke coming out of any electronics is bad news regardless low rpm or when you're blasting down a straightaway on a track. If it's stock gearing I'd try re-calibrating everything from your radio system to your ESC to your motor. Check all wiring and try again.

If it smokes call Novak.

I never had an issue with Novak ESC's (started in the late 70's/early 80's) until I got into crawlers.

All my Novak ESC's are "no reverse", thus I didn't use them for crawlers. I ran/run 10th & 12th pan cars as well as 10th buggies (all 4-6 cell NiMH) with no issues.

I hate the "generic Novak" bashing, I will admit they're not the best for crawlers (part of why I sold a M2 dig that came with a used crawler).

PS, sorta pissed I bought a Novak link only to find it won't handle my older ESC's and was likely DEATH to the M2 dig......sigh.....

EddieO 05-25-2013 06:52 PM

Novak clearly doesn't recommend running the motors out if the truck no load, aka free reving them.

The details matter regardless of it being out of the truck. If you toasted it being overgeared...it will never recover, and will always run hot until it gives.

Later EddieO