Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Least expensive crawler esc ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Least expensive crawler esc ?

What do you guys think about the REDCAT stock esc ? I think it has a drag brake and can be bought for around $40.

Last edited by builder; 05-25-2013 at 05:04 PM. Reason: wrong esc
builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Least expensive crawler esc ?

$56 and you can get the micro sidewinder.

With the little bit extra for a better esc
filotr14lsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
Proverbial threadkiller

My crawlers came with AE-1 ESCs in them, those are routinely in the classified for $15.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by builder View Post
What do you guys think about the REDCAT stock esc ? I think it has a drag brake and can be bought for around $40.
It's a pretty good brushed ESC when it comes with the Redcat Rs10 XT RTR crawler (which I have) certainly compared to other RTR ESCs. Has a pretty decent BEC and will run two motors (380/390 on the rockslide and 540s on the 1/8 supercrawler) It does have a brake but not sure if it's a "drag brake", more a brake mode (if you enable it - little switch on the side - pushing the throttle trigger forward once brakes then pushing it again reverses)

It's really only good for 7.2v/2s and no lipo cutoff. Some people have run it using 3S with no real problems but it's out of spec so your mileage may vary.

Specs here
E401

Redcat claim a pretty good warranty but I'm not sure if that extends to parts bought for use outside their vehicles.

Warranty

Really depends on what you your requirements are. I would say for $40 as a standalone purchase it's not bad but there maybe better choices.

If you are looking for a cheap ESC there's this on EBay...

320A High Voltage Brushed ESC Speed Controller for 4WD RC on Road Car Truck | eBay

The BEC is not as good as the redcat if that matters but it will run up to 16v. I have heard people have good success with this but obviously it's a no name brand so you are taking a risk.

Or if you want some thing really minimal there's this

Brushed Brush Speed Controller 320A ESC for RC Car Auto Buggy Boat 1 8 1 10 1 10 | eBay

with the same caveats.
AutoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I know nothing about redcat electronics, but a stock axial esc can be had for 40.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:29 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoCrawler View Post
It's a pretty good brushed ESC when it comes with the Redcat Rs10 XT RTR crawler (which I have) certainly compared to other RTR ESCs. Has a pretty decent BEC and will run two motors (380/390 on the rockslide and 540s on the 1/8 supercrawler) It does have a brake but not sure if it's a "drag brake", more a brake mode (if you enable it - little switch on the side - pushing the throttle trigger forward once brakes then pushing it again reverses)

It's really only good for 7.2v/2s and no lipo cutoff. Some people have run it using 3S with no real problems but it's out of spec so your mileage may vary.

Specs here
E401

Redcat claim a pretty good warranty but I'm not sure if that extends to parts bought for use outside their vehicles.

Warranty

Really depends on what you your requirements are. I would say for $40 as a standalone purchase it's not bad but there maybe better choices.

If you are looking for a cheap ESC there's this on EBay...

320A High Voltage Brushed ESC Speed Controller for 4WD RC on Road Car Truck | eBay

The BEC is not as good as the redcat if that matters but it will run up to 16v. I have heard people have good success with this but obviously it's a no name brand so you are taking a risk.

Or if you want some thing really minimal there's this

Brushed Brush Speed Controller 320A ESC for RC Car Auto Buggy Boat 1 8 1 10 1 10 | eBay

with the same caveats.
That last one you listed is horrible. I bought 2 of them for a superbully and they burnt up with no load on a 7.2 lipo while setting up my hacked gt3b
1tonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:26 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tonscout View Post
That last one you listed is horrible. I bought 2 of them for a superbully and they burnt up with no load on a 7.2 lipo while setting up my hacked gt3b
Good to know - don't get one of those then...
AutoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:50 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I have the one you mention on a basher and has done fine but i have no idea how to set it up. I usually set the trim on the esc forward a bit to act like a drag brake but that doesn't work on this one for some reason i'm not aware of.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:55 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by builder View Post
I have the one you mention on a basher and has done fine but i have no idea how to set it up. I usually set the trim on the esc forward a bit to act like a drag brake but that doesn't work on this one for some reason i'm not aware of.
That seems like it would cause a run away whenever you are going down hill... Not exactly what you want from a drag brake.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:57 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
How can that be? I can see the quality control sticker on the side of it.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:26 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigels_world View Post
That seems like it would cause a run away whenever you are going down hill... Not exactly what you want from a drag brake.
yes it takes common sense and some awareness to know once you crest the summit to apply the brakes or use your dig.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Sidewinder or ae2 can be had cheap, rs10 is a budget oriented rc and the electronics are likewise.
BAWLER CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote

Least expensive crawler esc ? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To expensive for me bouncingbabyboy Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 4 05-07-2011 07:45 PM
Most expensive rig! h2oboy21 Newbie General 67 10-20-2009 02:59 PM
Ok this could get expensive! Jonnie Fraz Axial AX-10 Scorpion 1 12-05-2007 01:55 PM
expensive Bronco Chit Chat 28 11-14-2006 04:21 PM
First crawler - Stock chassis - Who needs expensive stuff... 56k beware Trikster Tamiya TLT Crawlers 37 08-15-2006 08:49 PM