Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: MoA Misadventures

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default MoA Misadventures

So I'm running dual tekin fxr's , i have castle bec set to 6.0 volts directly to my JR z9100t. Thought I'd be set... Nope I'm still glitching not nearly as bad but some steering craziness. Do i need to crank my bec? Or is something else happening here? Servo was fine in my simple shafty rig..... what do you guys think? Thanks for the help! ;)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
TheKeltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: MoA Misadventures

Did you remove the red wires from the ESC's to the RX?? You have to if you run the external BEC to the RX as well.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

No they're intact, but I'm not running the bec through the rx... it is direct wired to the servo. Do i still need to remove the hot wires to rx? Thanks for the response!! :thumbup:

Old 05-26-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Ahhhh....I read your servo as a RX......OK.

You need to remove one red wire from an ESC to the RX, you should only have 1 power to the RX. Just remove the other and cover in tape.

What radio? I know Spektrums have glitch issues if all the grounds don't connect to the RX. Either run the servo black to the RX, or add a wire from the servo black to the RX as well.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Im running a airtronics FH4T rx.... So i should run the servo ground to the rx instead of directly to BEC? The hobby guy told me me to do that too lol just my luck lol i did look twice at the esc and i did disconnect one esc neg wire so m good there. Thanks again for your help , this little glitch is driving me crazy lol

Last edited by TheKeltz; 05-26-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:11 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKeltz View Post
Im running a airtronics FH4T rx.... So i should run the servo ground to the rx instead of directly to BEC? The hobby guy told me me to do that too lol just my luck lol i did look twice at the esc and i did disconnect one esc neg wire so m good there. Thanks again for your help , this little glitch is driving me crazy lol

If you are powering the RX from the ESC and the castle BEC is powered from the same battery as the ESC then you should (int theory) only need the signal wire (white or orange) to go from the RX to the Servo. They have a common ground at the battery.

If you have that and it still glitches you can try connecting the ground (-ve) from the servo to the RX instead of the BEC.

You can also try connecting the BEC ground (-ve) and the servo and RX ground (-ve). Connecting them all together can make the ground stronger but it can also cause ground loops which can effect the RX.

Another possibility is that the BEC is too close to the RX. Switching BECs can put out a lot of electric noise and that can interfere with the RX so try moving the BEC and RX as far apart as possible.
AutoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:52 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Thank you i will try that! They are pretty close quarters in there....

Old 05-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

So for testing I pulled the BEC out of the rig and had it as far away as the length of wire would allow and it still glitches when I turn.....Not sure whats happening here , could I have a bad BEC?? When the steering glitches I can see the LED on the bec flashing in sequence with each glitch.... It only glitches when I turn left or right fast and also when I let it return fast. If I turn the wheels slowly it doesn't glitch , same with letting them return to zero position , If I guide em back slowly...no glitch.... anyone ever have anything like this go down? Thanks again for all your help folks!
Old 05-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Sounds like the BEC and the servo are not getting along. I'm not familiar with the castle BEC or what the lights mean but you can probably find it online. Actually here it is.

http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...user_guide.pdf

Says "LED on indicates proper function of CC BEC. If LED is off,
check for proper setup."

Not very helpful..... but it does provide a clue.

From the sound of it the servo is pulling more current then the BEC can deliver. The fast turn probably corresponds with the highest current draw. You can probably make it glitch by (briefly and gently) trying the stop the wheels from turning forcing the servo motor close to stall. Do you have different servo you can try?

Also check the wiring to the BEC. You may have a bad connection somewhere which actually seems like the most likely explanation.

I also found this review...

CastleCreations 10A Switching BEC Review - RC Groups

It says the supplied connector is not rated for maximum power so that could be a factor but I doubt you are pulling 7A(10A peak) if you only have one servo.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKeltz View Post

That's not right. You want the negative wire hooked up on both ESCs. You should have the red positive wire unhooked on one ESCs.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Sorry yeah lol is the power not the neg. The red on the aux esc is removed.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoCrawler View Post
Sounds like the BEC and the servo are not getting along. I'm not familiar with the castle BEC or what the lights mean but you can probably find it online. Actually here it is.

http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...user_guide.pdf

Says "LED on indicates proper function of CC BEC. If LED is off,
check for proper setup."

Not very helpful..... but it does provide a clue.

From the sound of it the servo is pulling more current then the BEC can deliver. The fast turn probably corresponds with the highest current draw. You can probably make it glitch by (briefly and gently) trying the stop the wheels from turning forcing the servo motor close to stall. Do you have different servo you can try?

Also check the wiring to the BEC. You may have a bad connection somewhere which actually seems like the most likely explanation.

I also found this review...

CastleCreations 10A Switching BEC Review - RC Groups

It says the supplied connector is not rated for maximum power so that could be a factor but I doubt you are pulling 7A(10A peak) if you only have one servo.
Yeah this is weird lol this same bec/servo worked fine through the rx with one fxr on my shafty.... But the dual escs aren't even touching the becs power because it's wired directly to servo on this rig..... :confused: could it be the battery I'm using? I'm running 130mh 3s sky lipos.... maybe they're what's not able to keep up.... Is that possible? Thanks again for all the help

Old 05-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

DAMN i think that's what it was!!! I just hooked up a brand new 3s venom pack i have sitting here..... NO F'ING GLITCH , stop load tested fine too.... Thanks for all of your guys help :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Old 05-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #14
ahhh S^*T

why dont you just hook it up normal.

bec wired into battery plug, plugged into aux ch on rx, remove power wire from esc rx plug, turn the bec up to 7v (JR9100 will be fine at that) then plug intact servo plug into ch1 on rx ...and see what happens.

AKA power the RX with the BEC , set it at 7v and go
AxialJeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:10 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

130 mah is tiny. What was the c rating?
colebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Typing from my phone sucks lol it was supposed to say 1300mh lol

Old 05-27-2013, 04:17 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxialJeepster View Post
why dont you just hook it up normal.

bec wired into battery plug, plugged into aux ch on rx, remove power wire from esc rx plug, turn the bec up to 7v (JR9100 will be fine at that) then plug intact servo plug into ch1 on rx ...and see what happens.

AKA power the RX with the BEC , set it at 7v and go
I had it set that exact way and it glitched so bad it couldn't be driven... Direct power from bec to servo allowed the rig to run just "no sudden movements" lol

Just stress tested on the small pile of rocks out back. I can balls out steer and throttle for a good couple minutes throttle and wild steet at the same time and i can get it to glitch but no where NEAR what it was doing on the sky lipo. Both packs are 40c btw but one is a venom pack the other sky lipo. You guys think if I crank my bec to 7 (currently at 6) and stick with the venom pack i might be sitting pretty??

Old 05-27-2013, 06:09 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Could be...what battery connectors? Almost sounds like a Tamiya connector, they fail over time. Deans at a minimum.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

It's a deans..... If all it is , is some old cruddy battery connectors i will pray for you to win the lottery every night for a month Charlie III lol

Last edited by TheKeltz; 05-27-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:26 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

The JR z9100t is only spec'ed at 6v so I don't recommend setting your BEC at 7v.

JR Radios

I think it is unlikely to fix the glitching. If anything I would expect it to make it worse.

Since you still see the problem even with the other battery even if it is less frequent, I would check all the BEC connections, particularly on the battery side. Are they crimped or soldered? If you wiggle them does the BEC LED flash on and off?

If you have a volt meter, with the power on you can look for a voltage across a connection in a particular wire. A voltage across a connection indicates electrical resistance and a bad connection.

MoA Misadventures - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mk42 Moa or bully Moa... Which is a better choice? Oregon crawler Newbie General 3 08-04-2011 01:26 PM