Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 17.5 gen2 redline with mmp issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default 17.5 gen2 redline with mmp issue

So yesterday I smoked a vxl, the insides came apart and decided to put my 17.5 redline in. Now if I'm really crawling slow for like 10 seconds and go to give it throttle it will not go any faster. Just stays the same speed. I can wiggle the steering left to right it will stop for a split second and accelerate and work fine. I looked at the green light on the esc and when it won't accelerate it goes to a steady green like its getting a full throttle signal. I wonder if the when I smoked the the motor it took the esc with it. I'm using a mmp and it worked flawlessly until I smoked the motor. Although I've never had a brushless sensored motor hooked to it before.
fish-hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

What happens at full throttle from a standstill?
Propane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: 17.5 gen2 redline with mmp issue

Works fine going to full throttle from a stand still. Even part throttle. It only does when I creep for a few seconds and then try to throttle up.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
ahhh S^*T

esc is fine.. its something else..

is your motor good? sensor plugged in? did you change it to sensored brushless mode? is the sensor wire good?

sounds like loading up and not going, some kind of protection mode.
AxialJeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I tried sensored only, smart sense setting, I can't say for sure the sensor cable is good ill have to check it. Its almost like it gets stuck in one throttle position and won't go up no matter what I do with the trigger as long as I don't go to neutral. When it goes to neutral it stops moving like its supposed to, then when I give throttle it works like its supposed to as long as I don't crawl real slow for a few seconds. If I crawl a hair faster it works fine. Also if I turn the steering wheel left to right real fast when its acting up things work as they should.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:33 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I had exactly your problems with firmware 1.38 in the MMP. Going slow the green and yellow LEDs began flashing after about a second, and then you can't accelerate until you've stopped.

Rolled back the firmware to 1.28 (by then the latest "release" version) and the problems went away, and now I'm running 1.39 with no issues.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Just a little update. So I disconnected the servo from the reciever to see if the issue went away and it didn't. So I backed the firmware up to 1. 29 and the problem went away. So I updated it to the latest 1.45 firmware and everything is all good. Plugged the servo in and still all good. Ill run it a while and see what happens. I will be putting a bec in though. Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:19 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Just asking why didn't you just but a tekin RS with this motor? If anyone knows me I run only tekin but in some conditions I run castle but I have an axial wraith with a gen2 10.5 turn redline sensored motor / gen1 ESC with a 3s high 50c 5000 mah lipo with a external cooling fan over the ESC and I tell you what that things halls a##. And it crawls good believe it or not it does. I can still go low throttle and climb a 90 degree wall till it flips over on its roof but my point is that in your case it may have to do with settings or updates as you sed. Hope that helped but I was just joking about tekin vs. castle because there both great brands, and they race almost the same. Lol.
axial 4x4 crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:26 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I would definitely wire an external BEC most ESC`s come with weak ones that just don`t cut it.
chris_snchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by axial 4x4 crawler View Post
Just asking why didn't you just but a tekin RS with this motor?...
My guess would be the same reason I didn't: ~$70.
(The price difference between Tekin RS and Castle MMP.)
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Another update and another issue. I would have gone with the tekin rs but I had a mmp already. So I got to finally get out and do some trails this weekend and found another problem. The motor would cut out at full or close to full throttle. So I wired in a bec thinking I was having a brown out issue with the reciever because of the weak mmp internal bec. But it still continues to do it. Three different batteries all with the same result. This is on 2s batteries. Any thoughts.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:06 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Set your throttle trim to 120%.
hatefulboy is offline   Reply With Quote

17.5 gen2 redline with mmp issue - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tekin redline gen2 2 pole or 4 pole gofaster427 Electronics 2 02-24-2013 05:22 PM
Tekin redline gen2 brushless motor Camasrider Electronics 0 11-10-2012 10:54 AM