Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Brxl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Brxl

I picked up a Holmes BRXL, I set it up with the castle link before installing it, I removed the red wire from the plug because I also installed a CC BEC, now I want to change the programing on it, do I have to put the red wire back in the plug before I can do so?? I put shrink tubing on the end and would rather not remove it if I don't have to.
Kelly H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Brxl

Just connect it to the Castle link and power the esc with your battery.
AddictedtoRC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedtoRC1 View Post
Haha, I feel stupid now, I never even thought of this with mine. I always plugged/unplugged the red wire. Now I use extensions with the red wire. .. removed, so when I want to program I just unplug the esc from the extension and plug it into the castle link..

-sent from my smarter than me phone
mjc597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:49 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedtoRC1 View Post
I thought of that, but did not know if some how it could back feed and hurt my computer?? just want to be sure.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:04 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly H View Post
I thought of that, but did not know if some how it could back feed and hurt my computer?? just want to be sure.
It won't hurt your computer.:thumbup:
AddictedtoRC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:40 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Thank you, I'll be on it later today
Old 06-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #7
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc597 View Post
Now I use extensions with the red wire. .. removed, so when I want to program I just unplug the esc from the extension and plug it into the castle link.
Castle also has a product called the CastleLink Quick Connect, which is basically a glorified Y-harness. It has a third connector on it where you plug in your CastleLink without disturbing the rest of your wiring. I use them in my 1/8th scale and my CUCV, both of which have radio boxes I don't care to have to open. I just leave that third connector hanging outside the box and can program away at will. In the CUCV, I have the red pulled (at the receiver connector on the Quick Connect) and the (external) BEC in the receiver.

Note:
If you decide to just build yourself a Y-harness, be careful. In an application where the ESC still powers the receiver (no BEC, or BEC wired direct to servo), as soon as you plug in your CastleLink to the third connector, you'll be powering both the ESC and the receiver. I don't know about you, but my programming is usually done with the transmitter off. In something like an electric 1/8th scale buggy, with a MMM/2650 and Badlands tires, accidentally powering up the receiver with no transmitter signal can potentially make a big mess in a hurry.

But in the OP's case, I've never tried plugging in the main pack like that, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work. Check Castle's website for some of their 'air' ESC's (Thunderbird? Ice? Dunno) there's at least one model that doesn't have an internal BEC, and I think their instructions were to plug in the main pack. Can't remember where I saw that now.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote

Brxl - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BRXL Giveaway & The Next Team Driver Contest - 1 RCC User will win a BRXL this week!! Locked Up General Crawlers 205 10-22-2012 10:49 AM
BRXL help smokediver Electronics 13 06-09-2011 06:55 AM