Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Help!!- BRXL glitching with 2 servos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Help!!- BRXL glitching with 2 servos

I have the HH brxl and when I connect it to hitec HS-7955TG for steering and axial as-3 for shifting the motor starts to run and stop on its own.
Radio is turnigy GT3X (flysky gt3).
Unplug either servo and problem goes away.
This problem took out the receiver, luckily I had spare. Does it with axial radio set up too, as well as hobby king gt2 radio.
Never did it when running two cheap turnigy MI hi torque servos.
Also never did it with the hitec and one mi servo.
Seems like a bad combo of servos ?????
Will a bec fix this ?
Thought the brxl had a kick a$$ bec?
Why would it take out a receiver?
arnesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Help!!- BRXL glitching with 2 servos

While the BR-XL has a great internal BEC, even it can be overloaded.

Overloading is typically 1 of 3 things.

-Excessive torque rating (normal ESC's are good to ~200inoz total torque)
-Servo hitting a mechanical bind (can usually be fixed by setting channel EPA's)
-Failing servo
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnesto View Post
I have the HH brxl and when I connect it to hitec HS-7955TG for steering and axial as-3 for shifting the motor starts to run and stop on its own.
Radio is turnigy GT3X (flysky gt3).
Unplug either servo and problem goes away.
This problem took out the receiver, luckily I had spare. Does it with axial radio set up too, as well as hobby king gt2 radio.
Never did it when running two cheap turnigy MI hi torque servos.
Also never did it with the hitec and one mi servo.
Seems like a bad combo of servos ?????
Will a bec fix this ?
Thought the brxl had a kick a$$ bec?
Why would it take out a receiver?
Look like your As-3 servo is shorted somehow. the problem only occured when this As-3 is used with another servo.

While the BR-XL's internal BEC is propably best in business, it is still struggling to power 1 hi -torque servo like your 7955, I guess it is too much to drive 2 especially it seems your as-3 is doubtful.
Colgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I would say you are pulling too many amps with the two servos. Either way I don't run any rig without a bec to each servo (unless its for a dig or shift ). I know that the 7955 on same esc, with a brood 30t will cause slight cut offs if you rail on the throttle so by adding another servo this does not suprise me. I say to add cc 10amp bec, jumped straight to the 7955 @ 6 volt and add a glitch buster cap to the rx for added security for the other servo.
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:24 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I just measured the voltage out of the BRXL, it is solid 5.9 volts on its own or with the 7955 plugged in, but when the AS3 is plugged in (on its own, or with 7955) the brxl voltage fluctuates any where between 5.1 to 5.9. There's got to be something going on with the AS3.
I think I will get a different servo, and run the 7955 off a CC 10 amp BEC (since I've got one).
The other weird thing is if I flick the steering wheel, as it jiggles back and forth I can cause the motor to glitch, even if it is full throttle- probably not a good thing. Will a glitch buster cap help with that too?
Old 06-17-2013, 12:33 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I just measured the voltage out of the BRXL, it is solid 5.9 volts on its own or with the 7955 plugged in, but when the AS3 is plugged in (on its own, or with 7955) the brxl voltage fluctuates any where between 5.1 to 5.9. There's got to be something going on with the AS3.
I think I will get a different servo, and run the 7955 off a CC 10 amp BEC (since I've got one).
The other weird thing is if I flick the steering wheel, as it jiggles back and forth I can cause the motor to glitch, even if it is full throttle- probably not a good thing. Will a glitch buster cap help with that too?
When the motor glitches, does the Rx light flicker as well? A cap on Rx will help.

Told ya the As-3 is faulty...
Old 06-17-2013, 12:42 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Like asked above does the rx light flicker? More likely it is, due to like I said the 7955 will draw quite a bit out of the esc. The glitch buster is a cheap temp fix to using an external bec. But if you use a bec wired directly to the servo (do a search if you don't know what I'm talking about) that will fix that problem all together. But by adding a glitch buster to carry any type of load the other servo running off of rx may present is a good 5 dollar insurance you will never have to worry about.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:03 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I'll check on the rx light, the thing worth mentioning is these glitches also happen with no loads on either servo (ie steering in neutral and shift not binding).
Old 06-17-2013, 07:51 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

then you may have other issue. is the esc very close to the rx?
Old 06-17-2013, 08:02 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Ok the light on the RX does not flicker, the esc red light flashes each time the motor runs on its own.
The ESC is about 4 inches away from RX.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:04 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Coming from the man that designed the software for the BRXL.
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/411201-yes-you-need-external-bec.html#post3998836
I've never owned anything that didn't have an external CC BEC.
Twisted Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
I'll check on the rx light, the thing worth mentioning is these glitches also happen with no loads on either servo (ie steering in neutral and shift not binding).
If they are powered on then they have some amount of load holding them at neutral. Either way it sounds like that cheap servo has an internal issue. Pull it and hook up another servo, just set it in the rig somewhere un installed and then run the rig.

Red light on mine flashes in rev and flashes green in forward. May be the flashing you speak of?
Old 06-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Most every rig I know of runs a bec per servo. I have never even ran a servo over 100 oz off the esc much less 2. The internal bec is limited as to what it can do. The HH brxl is probably the best out there but even he says you need a external bec. It looks like this has been said many times over in here. I also see some saying one of the servoes is bad but I wouldn't count it bad till you try it out straight from a bec. If you still have issues with it then get a different servo.
craddock35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokersWild View Post
If they are powered on then they have some amount of load holding them at neutral. Either way it sounds like that cheap servo has an internal issue. Pull it and hook up another servo, just set it in the rig somewhere un installed and then run the rig.

Red light on mine flashes in rev and flashes green in forward. May be the flashing you speak of?
Yep that is the RED reverse light on the ESC.
Seems ok with a different servo (for shift) haven't tried a different steering servo as I will try running the hitec off a BEC when I get a chance.
It still glitches when I flick the steering wheel - but I will try a different transmitter and see what happens.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:56 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

You NEED a bec. You'll end up over amping the internal BEC and you'll be buying a esc and a bec if you keep pushing it. Sounds to be glitching from brownouts.
Twisted Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Help!!- BRXL glitching with 2 servos - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BRXL Giveaway & The Next Team Driver Contest - 1 RCC User will win a BRXL this week!! Locked Up General Crawlers 205 10-22-2012 10:49 AM
glitching zookiguy Team Losi Comp Crawler 10 10-02-2009 07:36 PM