Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: HiTec 5646WP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 01:08 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default HiTec 5646WP

Does any one have any feedback or experience with the HiTec 5646WP?
Just picked one up for $59 for my scx10. I am Not planing on running any thing bigger then 1.9 tires or doing any extreme crawling. Just normal relaxed trail running with the father and son.
Any thoughts on this servo would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 4 Beta
sidehiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: HiTec 5646WP

decent servo, should work well for your set up. plus you can get replacement gears for 12 bucks if they strip
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

i run the same one on my rig it should do the job if your just into relaxed crawling. if you do anything else you would need a bec top supply more power and stock up on spare gears i`ve stripped two of the centre brass ones not sure how but don`t try and jump anything as that may have done it to mine.

mine get`s dunked in water every chance i get and they really are waterproof but they just need more torque for the stuff i put it through.

here`s a mate rig under atleast 2 ft of water and he`s running the same servo

Last edited by boohoo; 06-17-2013 at 10:48 AM.
boohoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by boohoo View Post
i run the same one on my rig it should do the job if your just into relaxed crawling. if you do anything else you would need a bec top supply more power and stock up on spare gears i`ve stripped two of the centre brass ones not sure how but don`t try and jump anything as that may have done it to mine.

mine get`s dunked in water every chance i get and they really are waterproof but they just need more torque for the stuff i put it through.

here`s a mate rig under atleast 2 ft of water and he`s running the same servo

Deyamn! It's a submarine!

What is the setup in this rig? Esc/motor? What happens to the foams in the tires? I dunk my 4wd slash all the time and I have to air out the tires after awhile!

Last edited by el_Fernando; 06-17-2013 at 12:44 PM.
el_Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
RCC Addict

good beadlocks is the secret and no vent holes, mines more in water than in the dirt and never had a drop of water on my foams
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I picked up one for the steering servo on my TF2. Seemed weak on carpet in the house (wouldn't go lock to lock) so replaced it with a Hitec HS-7980TH.

150 oz v. 600+ oz

Last edited by Poserx; 06-17-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Poserx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
MODERATOR™

The older non waterproof models, 645 and 5645 were very common around here a long time ago. HiTec was probably laughing all the way to the bank selling those gear sets, and you only need the same gear! Bastards. After 7 or 8 times you come to realize you could have bought a much stronger servo that doesn't have the gear problem.

Not saying they're bad, just saying it can happen. Stop yourself short of buying a third replacement gear set and look at different options if it happens.

I remember taking an on course repair to rotate the stripped part around so I still had some steering. I also took an on course repair to swap that gear. Bad memories. Still use a HiTec 7950 though, so no hard feelings, HiTec.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_Fernando View Post
Deyamn! It's a submarine!

What is the setup in this rig? Esc/motor? What happens to the foams in the tires? I dunk my 4wd slash all the time and I have to air out the tires after awhile!
it happened quite a few times that day it was soo much fun watching him do it.

the esc is a plasti dipped ae-2 frm axial we all run them in our rigs the motor is a axial 27t the foams were dry from what i know no vent holes help. he also has a xr10 and thats a bad one for getting water in the wheels as it has vent holes so that doesnt get dunked to often but it does when he gets the chance.

@' poserx. i run mine in the house at times and it always returns to centre on carpet
boohoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:42 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boohoo View Post

@' poserx. i run mine in the house at times and it always returns to centre on carpet
Yup centering is fine, but runs out of oomph approaching full throw on the carpet. Using sticky new 1.55 rubber.
Poserx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the info guys. I will defiantly keep an eye on the gears for sure. Glad to see that it is water proof.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 4 Beta
sidehiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I have one of these on (back) order because I found a good price online, but I may have put the cart before the horse as now I'm researching.

So, consensus is too weak?

This thread is over a year old so are there updates on peoples' experiences with them?

The more powerful HiTec's (400oz+, 600oz+) aren't in their "waterproof" category so what's the solution there?
GodSpeed999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:33 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSpeed999 View Post
I have one of these on (back) order because I found a good price online, but I may have put the cart before the horse as now I'm researching.

So, consensus is too weak?

This thread is over a year old so are there updates on peoples' experiences with them?

The more powerful HiTec's (400oz+, 600oz+) aren't in their "waterproof" category so what's the solution there?
Whether or not it is too weak really depends on the size of your tires and the weight of your truck, and where you drive your truck. Some people find the power adequate.

The biggest issue I have seen with these is the gears are known to be soft and strip/break more easily than some of the better servos.

As for waterproofing, there are a lot of different techniques for waterproofing, and you can probably find videos for all of them on YouTube. A lot depends on how wet you intend to get it. A lot of the better servos also have gaskets around the case and will handle splashing just fine. You may need to do something more robust if you plan to submerge it. Some people use plastidip, other people pack the internals with marine grease, and I am sure there are other techniques too.
-bjb- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:50 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

I have one in my Twin Hammers. I ran it for a while straight off the ESC (HH BRXL WP - 6v) with no probs. I recently changed to direct power using a CC BEC set to 7.4v. I have had no problems with it. Bear in mind though the TH is less that 5lb with about 2.5lb over the front wheels.
knightsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:35 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightsy View Post
I ran it for a while straight off the ESC (HH BRXL WP - 6v) with no probs. I recently changed to direct power using a CC BEC set to 7.4v
How does one determine what is the optimal voltage to set the BEC to power a Servo only?
Old 09-12-2014, 09:16 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

I just had to RMA mine. Was running with CC BEC @ 7.4v in my twin hammers and it died after working great for an our or so. Still waiting on the verdict.
grimacium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:18 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

1hr? Wow. Not good. Post back the results.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:14 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSpeed999 View Post
How does one determine what is the optimal voltage to set the BEC to power a Servo only?
It says on the servo packaging that it is 7.4v 2S Lipo compatible. So I set the CC BEC to that. The ESC powers the receiver. Hmmm. Only lasted an hour or so. I am taking the TH for a long run today so will see how it goes.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:14 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightsy View Post
It says on the servo packaging that it is 7.4v 2S Lipo compatible. So I set the CC BEC to that. The ESC powers the receiver. Hmmm. Only lasted an hour or so. I am taking the TH for a long run today so will see how it goes.
Well I ran the TH for about 2 hours yesterday, including rock crawling. The servo didn't miss a beat. I think it is fine for a light vehicle. Might have to think a bit more about the servo for the JK I am doing though.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:35 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

My RMA'd servo came back with the notes "damaged amp", "replaced amp". May have just been a faulty component, but to play it safe I think I'll run it a tad under spec.
grimacium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:05 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I'm still awaiting my HS-5646WP but I'm growing wary that it doesn't have enough torque. Thinking of cancelling the order and switching to the HS-7954SH (for an additional ~$30), but then I'm concerned about waterproofness.

Dilemma.

HiTec 5646WP - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HS-5646WP Servo Gear Set xCoolHandLukex Electronics 1 02-14-2013 02:54 PM
HiTec 5646wp for servo winch Rig Rocker Electronics 10 06-30-2012 08:35 AM