Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: ~ We need better high-current connectors ~

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default ~ We need better high-current connectors ~

First came the Tamiya connector....
all fine and dandy seeing as most NiMh stickpacks didnt pull enough current for the most part. And if you went to the high-end batteries there were Deans connectors that was the solution.

as time went on we started seeing other connectors other then the Tamiya or Deans such as EC3, TRX, Bullets, etc...

however, im finding that with all thats on the market these days just doesnt cut it when you start playing with serious power. Ive destroyed more Deans connectors then i can count, wires coming loose from EC3's, etc...

it would be great if someone could do some R&D on a new connector that could take the amper draws on these LiPo's aswel as a clip to keep them tight such as that from a Tamiya connector which i think would do the trick. With that being said, something that we can get a real good solder joint to work with unlike EC3 or TRX high-current connectors.

Any thoughts??
SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: ~ We need better high-current connectors ~

Losi EC3 and EC5 connectors are meant to be soldered...

If you need more current capacity than a EC5 can support you need to consider this:

Name:  bat post.png
Views: 737
Size:  124.8 KB
GySgt Hartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Just use Castle Creations 4mm bullet connectors for everything. That's what I'm doing to my Losi Ten-SCTE racer.
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GySgt Hartman View Post
Losi EC3 and EC5 connectors are meant to be soldered...

If you need more current capacity than a EC5 can support you need to consider this:

Attachment 243698

i aware that EC3/5's need solder....
but EC3 just isnt enough and the wires break loose on my C1 Apache and EC5 are just to big in I.D to fit a wire coming off a MMP, which means filling far too much solder into the joint.

i dunno....maybe its just me? i just aint having luck with the connectors out on the market.
SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I run EC3 on my stuff, not one broken solder joint, or any heat at the plug after a run. I run up to 4S battery on crawler and a SC10 4x4. Never once have I had an issue.
Exocaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I just switched to these from deans. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...s_GENUINE.html
DRTMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:51 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Anderson Power Poles were/are an old RC standby. They can handle some silly voltage/current. The top of the line can do 600v at 350a! That might be a bit excessive, but I've heard these things are pretty good.
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Whats wrong with the old school Anderson power pole plugs? Half my fleet still uses them. Easy to solder, cheap, and I've never melted one. I even used them on a 1:1 truck with a Ford Taurus fan, and those things draw enough amps to melt cheap relays.

The other half of the fleet is using Traxxas plugs, and I hate them. While easy to solder to, they can by finicky about sliding into the plastic. I also have a few that like to come apart mid-run, like they don't hold tight like they did when new.

I'm paranoid about electronics (mainly batteries and ESC)s that use female bullet connectors right on the board, or inside the case. Admittedly, I'm hard on equipment, but that seems like a broken connection waiting to happen.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #9
PapaGriz Yo

If you need more current flow than a 4mm bullet can handle you really should be looking at swapping out the wires for something bigger.

In the fast electric boat world ESC's like my 180 amp SeaKing come with 10 ga wire to handle the current. My boat has 5.5 mm connectors on it I believe but 8mm would work as well.

I like shopping from these guys:
Building Supplies, Wire & Connectors & Shrink Wrap | Rc Boats by OffshoreElectrics
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
Anderson Power Poles were/are an old RC standby. They can handle some silly voltage/current. The top of the line can do 600v at 350a! That might be a bit excessive, but I've heard these things are pretty good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
Whats wrong with the old school Anderson power pole plugs? Half my fleet still uses them. Easy to solder, cheap, and I've never melted one. I even used them on a 1:1 truck with a Ford Taurus fan, and those things draw enough amps to melt cheap relays.

The other half of the fleet is using Traxxas plugs, and I hate them. While easy to solder to, they can by finicky about sliding into the plastic. I also have a few that like to come apart mid-run, like they don't hold tight like they did when new.

I'm paranoid about electronics (mainly batteries and ESC)s that use female bullet connectors right on the board, or inside the case. Admittedly, I'm hard on equipment, but that seems like a broken connection waiting to happen.
+1, when I went for "direct solder for everything" (back in the SCR NiCD days of carpet racing....) we went to Anderson Powerpoles (AKA Sermos or Cermos). If you kept the solder off the flat mating surface (easy to do) they handle a lot of power.

For all our crawler rigs, we use the APP's (except for the 1.9 comp rigs...we use mini Deans for those), never had an issue with 3S high "C" packs in a MOA.

Frankly, with some of the thin ga wires the "lightweight guys" are running, Deans should be fine handling the power.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

While on the subject I'll point out there is a difference between knockoff deans and real deans. If they don't come in a package with the deans logo, they aren't the same.
spookyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookyseven View Post
While on the subject I'll point out there is a difference between knockoff deans and real deans. If they don't come in a package with the deans logo, they aren't the same.
X2! I've soldered both recently, and the Deans DIDN'T melt! Granted, my soldering skills are highly corroded but, damnit those cheap Chinese pieces melted almost instantly!
KJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTMI View Post
I just switched to these from deans. Nylon XT60 Connectors Male/Female (5 pairs) GENUINE

These are quite good. There is a HD version too XT90, rated at 90Amp constant.
Colgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
If you need more current flow than a 4mm bullet can handle you really should be looking at swapping out the wires for something bigger.

In the fast electric boat world ESC's like my 180 amp SeaKing come with 10 ga wire to handle the current. My boat has 5.5 mm connectors on it I believe but 8mm would work as well.

I like shopping from these guys:
Building Supplies, Wire & Connectors & Shrink Wrap | Rc Boats by OffshoreElectrics
I'm getting back into boats and learning 5.5mm bullets are the minimum in these amp hogs.

For the OP, increase your wire gauge and upgrade to 5.5mm bullets.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:50 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ10 View Post
X2! I've soldered both recently, and the Deans DIDN'T melt! Granted, my soldering skills are highly corroded but, damnit those cheap Chinese pieces melted almost instantly!
If you are melting them while you solder on the wire then you are doing something seriously wrong. Tin the connector, tin the wire, and then lay the wire on the connector and push it down with your iron. The iron melts the solder in the wire which in turn melts the solder on the connector and you are done in seconds. Just make sure that you see the solder on the connector go wet so that you don't risk a cold joint.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote

~ We need better high-current connectors ~ - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turnigy high current wires brianw Electronics 16 02-25-2012 04:46 PM
Current JK Deezul 1.9 Scale Rigs 6 07-26-2010 08:31 PM
Traxxas High Power connectors. Gozer Electronics 1 10-30-2008 02:49 PM