Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: servo questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 06:45 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default servo questions.

now I know yall get a ton of questions about these and these questions have prolly already been answered but I've searched for a few hours yesterday and alittle while longer this morning. I suck at using forums and finding the information I want on them.

so I'm looking to spend 100-150 bucks on a decent servo. I've read about a few in that price range. I know I'm going to need a BEC though I don't quite know what it is or how to install it I know it powers the servo. I've also been reading about servo savers, and while I understand how these work I'm not sure if I need one.

ok so I own a ridgecrest and its set up for some rough crawling. it takes alot of tumbles and I even run it off 5-8 foot tall boulders if there is only one way up and down sometimes.

is it worth putting money into a decent servo for this car and the way its used?

would the servo recommended for this use vary from one thats a pure crawler?

what bec would you recommend?

and with the bashing and boulder diving would I need a servo saver? or is that more for gofasts hitting a wall?
Gravebane525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2013, 06:53 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: servo questions.

For your price range, I would recommend a HiTec 7950. They back up their product, the servo is "standard sized" (so it's a drop in, no modding) and has good torque.

Get a decent clamping servo arm, either a GHRacing or Robitronics.

Servo savers are more for "go fasts".

An external BEC takes the load off the ESC internal BEC that will not be happy with a strong servo. I would wire it direct.

Note: The ESC internal BEC's are usually ~ 2amps @ 5volts, a Castle Creations external BEC can be 7+volts @ ~10amps.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

yea I'm kinda tossed up between that one and the HS-7955TG. this one alittle cheaper and would let buy the bec and pay to have the shop install it ( I know shit about wiring) and still come in under 150. might be worth it to wait as I doubt the local shop has either in stock and it will be next week sometime before the parts come in.

they do have a servo for 60 bucks that will work just as well as the $150 servos talked about online... least thats what they told me a few months ago when I first got the car and was shocked at the costs of upgrading these things. at that point 60 bucks was to expensive of an upgrade for me so I never even found out what kind of servo it was lol.

side question. a decent BEC is the same thing needed to run higher then a 2s lipo? was just reading about the CC one and it mentioned running up to 6s lipos.

Last edited by Gravebane525; 06-22-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

If you're running a 2S LiPO, you can wire battery power direct to the servo, thus not needing the external BEC.

The need for an external BEC is to take some load off the BEC in the ESC. Most are just not up to dealing with high torque (200inoz+) servos. The Holmes BR-XL is better than most, but even it has it's limits.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

got a cheap specktrum one for now. doesn't do what I wanted... does about what I was expecting. but my car can now turn its wheels while sitting flat under its own weight (noticed the stock servo couldn;t do this with the new sticky tires and axial weight rings). will hold me off untill I can get get a good one and some metal steering links. and when I do I'll give it to the kid at the campground who has a stampeed and is talking about getting a crawler after seeing mine.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #6
RCC Addict

go to (servocity.com) they have a sale going on. HITECH high torqe sevos for about $90.00 or less
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:36 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

ok got my cheap servo in and hooked up the stock way its better then the stock and the skeptrum in power, but still not quite enough.

I'm thinking about doing what charlie said and powering it directly from the 2s battery. I have an extra 12" servo cable extension cable, I'm thinking about chopping it up to make the harness I want. is the wire thick enough to handle the full power from the battery? even if I upgrade to 3s and get a bec in there?

servo questions. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Servo Questions mudeatter Superclass Crawlers 0 10-04-2011 03:45 PM
Steering Servo/Dig Servo Questions YJJPWrangler Electronics 5 02-02-2011 10:59 PM
servo questions ?? nissan7 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 2 10-03-2010 12:30 AM
Servo Questions WK Joe HPI Wheely King 4 04-03-2008 06:35 PM
servo questions? Got Rocks? Newbie General 0 01-02-2006 06:38 PM