RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   esc and motor question (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/450248-esc-motor-question.html)

mncrawler89 06-22-2013 08:24 AM

esc and motor question

I was out crawling the other day for over an hour and towards the end of my run, whenever I would stop and let go of the throttle and the try to go forward or reverse again, I would get no respose. I switched lipos first and no response. Changed batteries in the controller and no response. I then pushed my rig a few inches along the ground, pulled the trigger and off it went and continues to be that way ever since. Sometimes when I stop it works just fine and other times it acts up. Does this sound like my esc or my motor? Its the stock motor in a Axial Honcho and a esc from my Helion Dominus short couse truck. If it's my esc, I have that covered. I am expecting a V16R Moped within the next week, if it's the motor, then I have to do more shopping. Thanks for any and all input.

CiLyX 06-22-2013 08:50 AM

Sounds like your motor bro, give it a flush out in a bucket of water you'll be amazed how much junk will come out. If its completely gone they are pretty cheap to replace about $15 or so

mncrawler89 06-22-2013 09:00 AM

Re: esc and motor question

Quote:

Originally Posted by CiLyX (Post 4371226)
Sounds like your motor bro, give it a flush out in a bucket of water you'll be amazed how much junk will come out. If its completely gone they are pretty cheap to replace about $15 or so

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot!

crawlhog 06-22-2013 09:08 AM

your motor is dying, flushing it in water will just trash the brushes even more. time for a new motor

Charlie-III 06-22-2013 11:46 AM

Sounds almost like "motor stall" where one winding is toast. If the brush lands on the bad comm segment, the motor won't work. Rotating the motor a little (pushing the rig works) gets the brushes on 2 working segments and all is well.

If this is the case, a new motor or new armature is the fix (unless you can rewind your own motors...).

mncrawler89 06-22-2013 11:51 AM

Thanks for all the info.

JimDaBomb 06-23-2013 10:07 PM

Could just be a loose connection also... check that.

mncrawler89 06-25-2013 06:26 PM

Checked all conections and all are good. Since the motor is possibly shot, I put a few drops of denatured alcohol in the motor and a few drops of 3in1 oil, held the truck and ran the motor forward and reverse a few times for a few minutes each and have had no problems since, It should hold me over until my new motor comes.

65BAJA 06-25-2013 07:26 PM

This is exactly what my rig did this weekend at Axialfest. It's the motor. Junk in the brushes and a very worn comm. You need a new motor.