Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: hitec 7980 quit? PLEASE HELP :(

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 01:14 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default hitec 7980 quit? PLEASE HELP :(

hey guys I need help here, I have a hitec 7980 in my wraith and has been working fine until tonight. I just changed motors to test one I found laying around and now my brand new servo no longer works. I plug the stock axial one in and it works fine. I cant see a pinched wire anywhere, so im going to pull it out and open it up to see if maybe I pulled a wire off inside? I may have since I changed the motor on my lap while watching a movie with the wife. please tell me this has not cause damage beyond repair?

would dielectric grease cause this to short out? I put some on the output shaft under the top cover and under the bottom cover. was this a bad move on my part? it worked fine this whole time thought (1 week) and never gave any sign of trouble., I just removed it and opened it up and can not see any thing standing out giving reason why it wont work

Last edited by tnt-salvage; 07-01-2013 at 01:23 AM.
tnt-salvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2013, 02:23 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: hitec 7980 quit? PLEASE HELP :(

It's a little confusing what you did, didn't and when...

1. The grease shouldn't cause any problems, as such.
2. While you were replacing the motor you might have semi-unplugged the servo from the Rx, causing the failure in functionality. (Has happened to me.) Did you check the connector?
3. Did the servo just not function when you turned the thing on after changing the motor, or did it run for a short while before dying?

It can be a bad cable, bad connector, or something else.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:06 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

thanks olle, I double checked the connection and still did not work. even tried it on another rx/tx and still nothing. to be 100% honest I don't remember if the servo centered it self or not when I turned the truck on tonight. I just drove it straight and went to turn and there was nothing there. I guess tomorrow I will use an ohm meter and pin the wires from the clip to the board and see if there is a break in the wire. I may also try to un pin the connecter and plug the pins into the rx one by one and test again. if it still does not work I will contact hitec and probably have to send it away for warranty. at least I have a 7955 I can use from the scx10 until this one is working again.

to make it simple: servo worked great from day one until tonight, I change motors to try a random one I found and when I went to test it I had no steering?

my only thought it that while working on it I moved the wheels side to side while it was not powered up and this has cause it to fail? which seems very strange since I can do that to all my other trucks and there all still working?
Old 07-01-2013, 03:21 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

im HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY haha its alive. no idea what its issue was but I opened it fully and everything looked good with the gears and I rolled it threw a few cycles and plugged it back in and presto. its working
Old 07-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

well i thought i had it fixed? but it quit again on me last night. opened it up and put it back together and it worked once again. has not quit yet but we will see i guess.
it was working great then i changed my battery and it would not work. seems strange to me.

on a side note: this maybe normal but if your truck is turned off, and you turn the wheels side to side is it common for the servo to light up the led lights? im using the axial light kit plugged into the rx. i assume the servo motor is creating power when you turn the wheels and back feeding the receiver, is this normal or do i have a wiring issue?
Old 07-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #6

Send it into Hitec, they will take care of it
freezerman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:42 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

thanks, im starting to think thats my only option as it was dead when i went out for a run today. it did work though, just needed to touch the wheels and disconnect the battery and hook it back up.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:33 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt-salvage View Post
on a side note: this maybe normal but if your truck is turned off, and you turn the wheels side to side is it common for the servo to light up the led lights? im using the axial light kit plugged into the rx. i assume the servo motor is creating power when you turn the wheels and back feeding the receiver, is this normal or do i have a wiring issue?

Yes its normal. Servo motor is acting like a generator creating power back into rx. There is no diodes to keep power from traveling both ways..... So that is why its happening.
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:39 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Sounds like the power amplifier is going out, had a couple do the same thing. Just send it to hitec they have the best customer service in the world and quick turnaround 7 to 10 days.
joshsmith512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:51 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

thank you, dielectric grease would not cause the amp to fail would it?
Old 07-03-2013, 12:28 AM   #11
RCC Addict

There could be something lose inside the servo causing occasional shorts.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt-salvage View Post
thank you, dielectric grease would not cause the amp to fail would it?
Nope.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:42 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

well after then 15th ill be sending it away. im heading for a camping trip and want to bring my toys the stock axial servo is going to become a winch so i dont have a spare to use if i send this one away.

anyone know the power/oz rating of the stock axial servo?

edit i just google'd it only 120oz might work for a lighter truck i guess

Last edited by tnt-salvage; 07-04-2013 at 11:45 PM.

hitec 7980 quit? PLEASE HELP :( - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HItec 7980 lurchy Electronics 5 12-28-2012 06:51 AM
Hitec 7980 lurchy Axial Wraith 1 12-26-2012 08:36 PM
Hitec 7980 help crawlinghulls Electronics 3 12-22-2012 11:44 AM
hitec HS 7980 TH? 001Hulk Axial XR10 18 08-15-2012 08:52 PM