Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: mini torquemaster and a puddle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 01:19 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default mini torquemaster and a puddle

I have the HH mini torquemaster as it says in the title. Just got my rig waterproofed but didn't touch the motor because I haven't heard that was necessary. Even see some people break in their brushed motors under water. So I got my battery all charged up, drove 3 miles to my favorite mudhole, and proceeded to start the fun. Wasn't 2 minutes and I wanted to see how good my waterproofin work done. About 10 secs after the motor went in the water it quit completely. Dead. At the time i figured it could be half a dozen things so i drove back home all disapointed that sumthin went south again. Checked my electronics box-dry as a bone.Checked my leads and wire connections- good. Still no motor function. So I hooked up another mini motor and it functions perfect. is my mini torquemaster garbage?or should they just stay far away from water? Oh and I have given it time to dry out all the way -no function-
CrawlinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

make sure the brushes move freely. sometimes dirt and or sand can make the brushes loose contact with the armature. it would be a great idea to wrap the motor with an outerwears electric motor filter. hope this helps
m3kan1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:55 PM   #3
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

did the motor work fine previously? I have had a few motors with brush hoods that catch the brushes. The silver brushes I sell fix the issue, if it is the case.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:12 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I didnt think of a filter or screen thats a good idea. And yes the motor worked previously thats how it drove into the water........haha sorry i couldnt help myself. But yes the motor has worked very well and ive only ran maybe an hour on it and not hard.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:15 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I dont know why but I pulled out the brushes and put them back in and immediately the motor will work. It must of been the smallest speck or grain or something because i didnt hear or find anything. I am sorry to insinuate theres any problems with your products because there is obviously not. Thanks for your guys' .02 and since i dont want to wait on a screen to come in the mail Im gonna find a way to make my own filter from something around the house. Its the smallest things that seem to give the most trouble

Last edited by CrawlinMike; 03-11-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

The motors are so tiny, they can be difficult to keep running. Even a grain of sand can stop them. I was just checking to make sure it was properly running before the water.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:53 PM   #7
RCC Addict

motors are water proof not mud dirt or sand proof
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:37 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

If anything solid gets inside the motor it will stop. Ive seen things that get jammed between the armature and the magnets as well.
phillyb is offline   Reply With Quote