Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Upgrading from the stock SCX10 20t/Diagnosing an issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Question Upgrading from the stock SCX10 20t/Diagnosing an issue

I have a couple of questions about whether or not to upgrade the motor on my truck. The first comes from something I apparently broke. Let me explain.

The last time I was out crawling my truck started having an issue. While on flat ground things seem fine...maybe a little slow. When I start climbing and have to put some power down the truck makes this awful grinding sound and none of the wheels turn.

I'm in the process of adding metalhead axles so I've been able to take most of the drivetrain apart. By most, I mean everything but the motor. Nothing was amiss in the (stock) axles or the transmission. Nothing looked stripped or broken. Neither of the drive shafts look chewed up either. The spur gear is fine too.

The only component left that I can think of is the motor. As I disassembled/assembled things, the motor seems to spin with what I could assume is a pretty normal and reasonable amount of resistence.

To sum it up, I'm not really sure what the deal is. I haven't driven the truck for a while because of this build...I've been taking my time and/or waiting for parts to come in.

I've been thinking that I may have damaged the motor somehow? I'm currently running aftermarket wheels w/1.9 pitbull rockbeasts. The trail I was on is fairly extreme. I just thought there was ususally supposed to be smoke and/or burning smells when a motor dies.

Aside from all that, I'm wondering if it would be wise to upgrade my motor since I'm adding a fair amount of weight to my truck. Here's the configuration, just to give an idea:

SCX10 Chassis
Axial 313mm Aluminum Links
GCM Metalhead aluminum axle housings
Motoworx 1.9 10 Hole LE Aluminum wheels (including a full spare w/a 1.9 tire)
Savox Servo
Castle BEC
5200 MaH Lipo
RC4WD JK recovery front bumper.

Nothing too extreme, but the truck has definitely gained some weight. Should I upgrade the motor? Does upgrading just mean buying something that has a higher turn count? I like the wheel speed of the Axial 20t, but I want a motor that will stand up to a rig with a bit of metal.

Possibly something like Holmes Hobbies LLC

That's a wall of text. Any input on these two issues will help!

Last edited by CHawk68462; 07-08-2013 at 10:39 AM.
CHawk68462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Upgrading from the stock SCX10 20t/Diagnosing an issue

Is there a slipper clutch? Might be a little too loose. It's the only thing I can think of.
Super is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

I thought about that. Do they come loose? The issue came on pretty suddenly. Otherwise the truck has never had problems putting power down.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I've seen them come loose but I crank mine as tight as I can get it.
Super is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I have had the stock motor plate flex on me causing the pinion to loose most of its contact with the spur and make a grinding noise, but you said the spur looked good, maybe check it closer, just my 2 pennies
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
I have had the stock motor plate flex on me causing the pinion to loose most of its contact with the spur and make a grinding noise, but you said the spur looked good, maybe check it closer, just my 2 pennies
Something like this is possible. My spur isn't damaged, but I'll take a look at it again. If that's the only problem ill be happy.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Here's an update.

I got the truck all put together and running yesterday. Something is definitely amiss. The transmission, or something in that area, is louder than normal. I need to check the gear meshing on the spur. I had the transmission apart recently, but I re-lubed it before I put it back together.

Another thing worth noting is that the output shafts on the transmission have a wobble to them. I'm wondering if something got bent the last times I drove my truck. Given that this doesn't seem to be much of an electrical problem, I may move this into a different forum.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

If there is a wobble in your transmission, then you may have a bad bearing in there somewhere.
Hatersauce is offline   Reply With Quote

Upgrading from the stock SCX10 20t/Diagnosing an issue - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgrading my stock clodbuster. Kbabiasz Tamiya Clod Buster 6 10-07-2012 04:47 PM
Wanted: Wraith stock 20T motors hawnmt Hawaii 0 09-21-2012 12:52 PM
Need help diagnosing an issue aebstract General Crawlers 19 08-12-2012 03:04 AM
loose the stock 20t lowboy Axial Wraith 9 11-25-2011 08:11 AM
need some help diagnosing this electrical issue - VIDEO iamsuperbleeder Electronics 15 09-17-2011 10:08 AM