Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Brushed motor advise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Brushed motor advise

I'm looking for an inexpensive option for my twin hammers. Here is what I'm running and would like to run for cost sake. I would like about a 20mph top speed in high gear.
AE-2 ESC
5 amp bec
2200mha 30c 3s lipos

History:
I ran this set up with a 27t motor and it works really well. Top speed is about 12mph. Way to slow.
I just tried a 20t axial motor. I think it may have something wrong with it because it seems slower than the 27t.
I bought the twin hammer used, so I don't have the stock ESC, motor, or battery. It did have vxl system and the top speed was awesome but the low speed sucked being a sensorless brushless motor.
I saw Holmes hobby has a 13t motor that i think would be awesome. Problem is the motor is a bit on the expensive side for me ( i know this is like HH cheapest motor) and it needs to be run on 2s which I don't have. Also I looked around a bit to see if the axial 20t could be run on 3s and never found a straight answer. Is something like a 19t venom motor my best, cheapest option? (Don't know if it can be run on 3s either) I really think if I have to spend more than $30 for a brushed motor to get what I'm looking for I might as well spend $100 and get a cheap sensored brushless system.
Main goal was to get just a little faster than stock while running 3s. Thought behind this was a higher turn motor would crawl better and the 3s would get me just a little more speed than stock. I don't want to have to buy a new ESC or batteries.
Links to brushed motors maybe helpful. Seems like almost all the brushed motors on the market are high quality crawling motors that come with high price tags.
toyotatrucks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Brushed motor advise

If you have the vxl system, you can use the esc with a sensored motor. Pick up a cheap 17.5 motor and have at it. If you want brushed, check out the brood stump humper. If you have the room, it is the best bang for the buck scaler motor out.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

All the Venom fireball motors are garbage IMO. I had a 19 turn that literally lasted almost a pack before the commutator came apart. The brush hoods weren't even close to aligned and the bearings felt gritty right out of the package.

If your expecting speed, and your running 3s on a 4wd vehicle then you'll be munching through brushes pretty quickly. In the long run you'll be time and money ahead to just spring for a decent 13.5 - 17.5 brushless, such as the Tekin's or Novak's. Much more efficient, and much less maintenance.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I kind of assumed the venom motors were garbage.
I had NO IDEA the vxl was sensor compatible! That is great news. I will look around for a sensored motor. I'm guessing that is what the "aux port" is on the ESC. Do I need to find a traxxas vxl compatible motor or are pretty much all sensor wires the same? Also is there like a castle link for traxxas for adjusting drag brake?
Old 07-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotatrucks83 View Post
I kind of assumed the venom motors were garbage.
I had NO IDEA the vxl was sensor compatible! That is great news. I will look around for a sensored motor. I'm guessing that is what the "aux port" is on the ESC. Do I need to find a traxxas vxl compatible motor or are pretty much all sensor wires the same? Also is there like a castle link for traxxas for adjusting drag brake?
No drag brake.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Bummer. I have a friend with a 17.5 Novak laying around. I'm going to give it a try and see how it goes. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I run a vxl esc with a 5.5t 550 motor in my trophy wraith without issue.

The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:02 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Oh nice. 5.5t. I bet that wraith is fast.

Brushed motor advise - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brushless motor advise? Brainstain Electronics 3 02-09-2012 01:58 AM
Best Brushed motor? ZackMicF Electronics 7 11-09-2011 04:26 PM
Mewbie needs motor advise Old Sloppy Newbie General 3 06-04-2009 05:32 PM