Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Your Charging setup/station ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #1

Default Your Charging setup/station ?

OK, So I tried looking for a post on this and really didn't find what I was looking for so here goes it.

I just wanted to know what kind of charging set up do others use to charge their lipos. Please post Pictures and info on what you use. Also do you use a different set up at home then you use out in the field?
ScaledforFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Default Re: Your Charging setup/station ?

I rarely carry a charger with me, typically I just charge extra batteries.

Work (personal) charger is dual Hyperion 1420i chargers and two 12v 25 amp power supplies in series. Comes in handy for the 18s, 20s, and 24s packs around here. Since hyperion doesn't have isolated inputs, any pack big enough to span both chargers has to be electrically isolated into two packs. I could also install diodes on the input rail, but the power I typically push would need HUGE diodes.

Work (work) charger/ CCCA device is some units I picked up from a manufacturer. Don't even know what they are called.

At home I keep an 0606i ACDC. Easy and simple for all the little packs.

Last edited by JohnRobHolmes; 07-22-2013 at 04:24 PM.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
In the band for now.

thunder ac6 charger set up in the basement & charge my lipo's on the wife's ironing board in a lipo bag. never charge in the field but I do take extra charged batts to our bi weekly gtg's.
lemonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I also don't normally charge batteries in the field but I'm the process of converting a HF tool/ brief case into a complete battery charging station. I'll post up some pic's when I'm finished.
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

solid hobby 24+ power supply with a power lab 6 charger. Can charge 6 batteries at one time with the MPA board and 1000w of power
maro69camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:18 AM   #6
Proverbial threadkiller

Starting on the left,
--two Doohan 2S LVAs, one stock, the other has a JST connector and has a 2S adapter as well as a 3S adapter. The 3S adapter only measures two cells, but it's better than nothing (if you have no LVC),
--Yes, that is an Axial temp stick back by the hand sanitizer, thank you for noticing,
--Onyx 240 (out of an online retailer's scratch and dent bin) Traxxas ends installed, 'cause that's all I use,
--Onyx 230 (also out of the scratch and dent bin),
--the small JST charge plug is for doing my small Heli LiPos (2S/500mAh),
--then a Traxxas charge plug,
--then a Team Checkpoint charge-through balancer, can be used as a stand alone balancer, can be used to charge through the balance tap (which is how I do my crawler packs), and (if I had some female 4mm/banana connectors) can be hooked up to something with more of an amp draw to balance cells a LOT faster than the puny internal 250mAh draw can,
--the 2S adapter is currently on the balancer,
--in front of the balancer is the 3S adapter,
--on the right is my Volt-Ohm-Meter,
--the blue thing is a discharging rig I built for cycling NiMhs and NiCads,
--and not in view (actually behind you if you're seeing the above view) the fire extinguisher's over between the freezer and the door, just under the lightswitch.

If my 230 ever goes belly-up, I'm kinda wanting to replace it with a Hyperion EOS 0720i charger. Pretty much just simply because it's still AC/DC and looks to have more power than my current charger. But, until then, the 230 trudges on.

Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by maro69camaro View Post
solid hobby 24+ power supply with a power lab 6 charger. Can charge 6 batteries at one time with the MPA board and 1000w of power
I was actually looking at this setup, how long have you had this setup? Any problems with it ? IS it easy to use ?
ScaledforFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I got this set up a while back. And I'm very pleased. Its a dual 200 watt per port turnigy and a hobby king 540watt 30amp power supply. This combo is pretty quick. It will balance charge a 2s 5300 mah from low voltage cut off at 10amp in 40 min. It does my 3s 450mah at 2.2 amp in about 10 min. Its very versatile with model memory and even a temp sensor. Also its easy to use. I think I paid around $160 for the both of them from hobby king. The only complaint is that the fan on one of the ports is loud.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Attached Images

Constant Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:34 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I LOVE it. Very easy to use but has lots of control too. MEGA power. I would not give my setup for anything else. Pretty dang quite too. If you need more power you can always hook two together and have one control them both . some more things about the setup is it charge balances and if you use a battery to power it and you got cells to discharge it will put that power in the battery you are powering it with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaledforFun View Post
I was actually looking at this setup, how long have you had this setup? Any problems with it ? IS it easy to use ?

Last edited by maro69camaro; 07-23-2013 at 01:36 PM.
maro69camaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Your Charging setup/station ? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tc soldering station michael Tools, and Procedures 4 08-26-2011 11:16 AM