Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Shipping Lipos to Canada?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Shipping Lipos to Canada?

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask....I am packaging a deal for a rig with 2 little 1550mah 2s lipos shipping USPS.

Besides packaging them securely with bubble wrap and inside whatever additional boxes I can find that small....would there be any additional fees? Or do I just let them know there are lipo batteries in the box?

Shipping is going to Canada by the way.

Thanks!
Alex
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Shipping Lipos to Canada?

Why tell them anything? Wrap them in bubble wrap and ship it.
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Shipping Lipos by any form of Airmail is illegal currently. Its a $45,000 fine last I read if caught, more if they cause an accident.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
RCC Addict

The international shipment of Lithium batteries using USPS is prohibited.
IMM Revision: Outbound International Mailings of Lithium Batteries and Other Dangerous Goods
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I wouldn't chance it.

Just refund the buyer the estimated cost of the lipo(s).
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Or charge a few bucks more and send everything OR just the lipos with UPS or a similar carrier.

UPS
http://www.ups.com/media/news/en/int...egulations.pdf

FedEx
http://images.fedex.com/downloads/jp...Chart_2013.pdf
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Wow thanks for the reply guys. I remember reading about shipping via USPS lipos is a no no. Looks like I'll be using UPS.

Is there an additional surcharge for shipping out a pair of 1800mah 2s lipos with my sale?

Looking over the UPS Lithium Battery Regulations page doesn't show any mention of additional costs.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post
Wow thanks for the reply guys. I remember reading about shipping via USPS lipos is a no no. Looks like I'll be using UPS.

Is there an additional surcharge for shipping out a pair of 1800mah 2s lipos with my sale?

Looking over the UPS Lithium Battery Regulations page doesn't show any mention of additional costs.
You have to pack the batteries according to the instructions in the UPS shipping batteries doc, fill out the "Lithium Battery Safety Document for International Air Shipments" and have the Lithium Battery Warning label on your package.

When I shipped batteries, I was charged $8.50 for the additional handling fee in addition to the regular charges to ship the package.

Here are some of the links I used last time I shipped and has info on the requirements.

http://www.ups.com/media/news/en/shipping_batteries.pdf
http://www.ups.com/media/news/en/lit...safety_doc.pdf
http://www.ups.com/media/en/addition...rges_daily.pdf
Old 08-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Note that when using UPS to Canada (and maybe other countries) the receiver will be charged tons of fees such as brokerage, bond and COD, ... These fees can often add up to 50% or more of the value of the goods, which may not be worthwhile for him to get them shipped at all.

UPS doesn't make it obvious, for example you have to be on the receiver's country site rather than the shipper's, so here's the link for Canada:
UPS: Rates for Customs Clearance into Canada

This is why all vendors who want to sell to us Canucks should use USPS

Last edited by YJ_Driver; 08-01-2013 at 01:18 PM.
YJ_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ_Driver View Post
Note that when using UPS to Canada (and maybe other countries) the receiver will be charged tons of fees such as brokerage, bond and COD, ... These fees can often add up to 50% or more of the value of the goods, which may not be worthwhile for him to get them shipped at all.

UPS doesn't make it obvious, for example you have to be on the receiver's country site rather than the shipper's, so here's the link for Canada:
UPS: Rates for Customs Clearance into Canada

This is why all vendors who want to sell to us Canucks should use USPS
This is very true, but I also know that if you ship UPS Air that the brokerage fees disappear.
Krawler Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawler Kev View Post
This is very true, but I also know that if you ship UPS Air that the brokerage fees disappear.
Have you done this more then a few times with the same results? Ive been hit hard by brokerage fees in the past ($100 fees for $80 worth of parts once) and ill never use any other carrier then usps, but if there is a way around the fees and i can get my parts fast id be willing to try ups air
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Sorry to revive an old thread but it may help some sellers. I shipped UPS showed them the lipos I was shipping 3 1100mah packs and I think a 1550mah pack as well. All were put into storage mode. All were bubble wrapped. I had also snipped the negative wire and wrapped it up nice and snug with a bunch of electrical tape first then duct tape.

These were obviously soft packs. I also put them in the same boxes they came in so they fit snug as a bug. Then in the big box with my Losi Mini 8ight I was selling I left the box open for the UPS guys to see how I wrapped them and they were fine with it.

I have tons more lipos to sell mostly soft pack....but these are in the 5000mah 3s and 4s range. Any ideas?
Old 11-26-2013, 10:14 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Location: somewhere near Los Angeles...or a city looking thingy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post

I shipped a SC10 with a 2s lipo and nothing happened to me. Is there anything dangerous in there? No. Thinking in the back of my head, yes if you don't be careful with it. But mine was going back east, so...
OTHGbronco82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:28 AM   #14
E.Y. Designs

I've sold and shipped lots of big lipo packs soft and hardcase... And I've always shipped them USPS never had an issue... Never knew that it was prohibited by USPS though...
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettY View Post
I've sold and shipped lots of big lipo packs soft and hardcase... And I've always shipped them USPS never had an issue... Never knew that it was prohibited by USPS though...
The international ban on shipping Lithium batteries by air took effect on Jan 1 2013. USPS also put in place restrictions on shipping lithium batteries inside the USA. All carriers require that any packages shipped with Lithium batteries be marked on the outside of the package with this warning: "Lithium Batteries—Forbidden for Transportation Aboard Passenger Aircraft".

As EddieO pointed out earlier in the thread that the fine for the first offense of shipping Lithium batteries in a way that could result being shipped on a passenger plane is up to $45,000.

You can still travel with Lipo batteries if they are in carry on luggage (Not Checked).

Last edited by k7zpj; 11-28-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:20 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I guess it's better than bringing nitro fuel lol
Old 11-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawler Kev View Post
Can you post a link to the type shipping you used.
Both times I got stuff through ups I got hit hard. one item was worgh 30 bucks and they wanted 80 in brokerage fees. I told them to keep it and off it went with them. I eventually got a credit back from where I purchased it as they returned it to them. Now what did that cost? I bet it was alot cheaper than the 80 they were trying to charge me. Someone also told me to complain and they would reduce the cost but haven't tried that.

Because of that I only ship usps and try to keep the cost down so I don't get hit with duty. Under 200 seems to be the magic number.

Last edited by mammoth; 11-28-2013 at 10:25 AM.
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammoth View Post
Can you post a link to the type shipping you used.
Both times I got stuff through ups I got hit hard. one item was worgh 30 bucks and they wanted 80 in brokerage fees. I told them to keep it and off it went with them. I eventually got a credit back from where I purchased it as they returned it to them. Now what did that cost? I bet it was alot cheaper than the 80 they were trying to charge me. Someone also told me to complain and they would reduce the cost but haven't tried that.

Because of that I only ship usps and try to keep the cost down so I don't get hit with duty. Under 200 seems to be the magic number.
In order to avoid the duties/brokerage I have always asked that the seller mark the pacakage as TOY CAR PARTS. Any package that I have received marked like this I haven't had to pay anything.

The UPS air freight comment was from one of our club members, T3rry. Try PM'ing T3rry to find out the details.
Krawler Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:25 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

When I shipped out my mini Losi 8ight with a 3 lipos carefully wrapped and separately boxed within my packing peanut filled box with a disassembled mini buggy they were more interested in looking at the RC tires. What a bunch if morons.

Either way yes mark it as toy car that was what I was informed to do as well selling into Canada.

Shipping Lipos to Canada? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shipping to Canada John82601 Chit Chat 4 05-20-2011 11:27 PM
Shipping to Canada CD13 Chit Chat 27 04-25-2011 11:54 AM
shipping to CANADA help !!!! NICKH Chit Chat 2 10-23-2008 06:46 PM
shipping costs from the us to canada cstmp8r Chit Chat 3 04-05-2007 07:58 PM