Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: What the %$#!^@#, Just burnt up ESC wires

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
bsn
Quarry Creeper

Default What the %$#!^@#, Just burnt up ESC wires

So, I am just about ready to give up on this RC crap. After frying two motors and and ESC on my SC truck a couple of weeks ago, last night I somehow burnt up the wires going from the ESC to the Rx. This is what happened.

I purchased three new Protec 350T servos a few days ago. I installed one in my wraith and ran around for close to 2 hour in the grass and road. I am running the stock AE-2 ESC on 3S lipos w/o BEC. No problems.

I installed the second 350T servo on my father's Wreckluse last night. I am running a V-1 Sidewinder on 2s lipo w/o BEC. Ran on the carpet for about 30 seconds and started getting smoke from the car. Pulled the battery and look for damage and heat. Servo was cool, ESC was cool, RX was cool. Wires from ESC to RX were melted into a big ball of insulation and wire. I unpluged the ESC from the RX, plugged in the ESC to battery and it started up. Unpluged everything and said #%!@#$ it and when to bed.

What gives? Servo pulling to much voltage from ESC. The Sidewinder has been in the truck for 2 years without issue with a hitek 7950tg servo.

I was going to put the last servo in my SCX10 with a Sidewinder but don't want to burn up another ESC.

Thoughts?
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
idk
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: What the %$#!^@#, Just burnt up ESC wires

my sv1 could not handle anything higher torque servo without a bec. never burnt wires but they were very glitchy. never ran it without a bec after that and never had problems again. just my .02 with sv1 and higher torque servos. bec are a must i would think. ii had a ae-2 for a good while and could never get 3s to work without a bec i shock you are able to
idk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Bad connection in the rx plug? Just get a bec already and wire in direct to servo.
Ryan87zuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
bsn
Quarry Creeper

I was also wondering if the Sidewinder was salvagable. Does Castle repair something like this or do I need to pull apart and rewire myself?
Old 08-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Install a BEC in every truck you own. Yes they cost a little more than $20 BUT they are a great peace of mind type of insurance to help protect your more valuable electronics such as the ESC and Rx. Not to mention you will have more steering power
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
idk
Quarry Creeper

ya castle will replace it with a sv2 for 40.00 i have 1 coming today from them!!
idk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

You need BEC. You need a BEC. You need a BEC.

You probably need a BEC.

BEC.
el_Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Why do people run without a BEC and then wonder why the have steering or ESC problems? $20 BEC could have saved you from buying a new ESC. Better luck next time
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsn View Post
So, I am just about ready to give up on this RC crap. After frying two motors and and ESC on my SC truck a couple of weeks ago, last night I somehow burnt up the wires going from the ESC to the Rx. This is what happened.

I purchased three new Protec 350T servos a few days ago. I installed one in my wraith and ran around for close to 2 hour in the grass and road. I am running the stock AE-2 ESC on 3S lipos w/o BEC. No problems.

I installed the second 350T servo on my father's Wreckluse last night. I am running a V-1 Sidewinder on 2s lipo w/o BEC. Ran on the carpet for about 30 seconds and started getting smoke from the car. Pulled the battery and look for damage and heat. Servo was cool, ESC was cool, RX was cool. Wires from ESC to RX were melted into a big ball of insulation and wire. I unpluged the ESC from the RX, plugged in the ESC to battery and it started up. Unpluged everything and said #%!@#$ it and when to bed.

What gives? Servo pulling to much voltage from ESC. The Sidewinder has been in the truck for 2 years without issue with a hitek 7950tg servo.

I was going to put the last servo in my SCX10 with a Sidewinder but don't want to burn up another ESC.

Thoughts?
maro69camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
bsn
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by maro69camaro View Post
Why do people run without a BEC and then wonder why the have steering or ESC problems? $20 BEC could have saved you from buying a new ESC. Better luck next time
Yea, thanks for the imput on the BEC. Didn't get that memo last time. Oh wait a second. I have not had this issue with the previous setup only with new servo so I come to the question on why. Now, if this had been an issue with the hitec servo, specifically associated loss of control on the ESC, then I would have just installed the BEC I have on my bench. As it wasn't, it was an issues with burning up the wires on the ESC while the servo was under very little load, I felt like coming to this group and asking.

My new question is, why do so many on here feel the need to say the same thing that three people above them already said without any additional input for the OP to use in resolving their problem. Double Thumps to you
Old 08-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

My new question is, why do so many on here feel the need to say the same thing that three people above them already said without any additional input for the OP to use in resolving their problem. Double Thumps to you
Because we get this same question over 10 times a week . Really just a little bit of research can help ALOT.

Last edited by maro69camaro; 08-02-2013 at 05:43 PM.
maro69camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
AE-2 ESC on 3S lipos w/o BEC...

V-1 Sidewinder on 2s lipo w/o BEC...
sorry
z50king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Sure a bec will help the new servo with plenty of power, bit I think you have something else going on. If it were only that your servo was drawing to much power you would have suffered a brown out on the rest of your electronincs. The only thing thats ever happened to me when I forgot to wire in the bec was the servo was just real weak with no speed, never melted wires. Sounds like you had issues with that esc before you even powered the truck up. Was everything fine before wires melted or were you glitching bad before wires melted?
Sheepdawg23wm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdawg23wm View Post
Sure a bec will help the new servo with plenty of power, bit I think you have something else going on. If it were only that your servo was drawing to much power you would have suffered a brown out on the rest of your electronincs. The only thing thats ever happened to me when I forgot to wire in the bec was the servo was just real weak with no speed, never melted wires. Sounds like you had issues with that esc before you even powered the truck up. Was everything fine before wires melted or were you glitching bad before wires melted?
+1.

I'm wondering if the ESC powers up & works for now (yes, you may have shorts in the ESC to RX wires now).

Curious why you melted those wires, can't say I've seen/done the same. Glitches & brownouts, yes.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

You pulled a hitec out to replace it with a protek?
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
+1.

I'm wondering if the ESC powers up & works for now (yes, you may have shorts in the ESC to RX wires now).

Curious why you melted those wires, can't say I've seen/done the same. Glitches & brownouts, yes.
I'm sure crushed/ broke wire. Happens a bit on sc and basher rigs
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #16
bsn
Quarry Creeper

So, it had nothing to do with having or not having a BEC.

Installed a new SW, using the same Servo and same Rx. Plugged everything in and all things worked. Unplugged battery and strapped all the wires and parts down, plugged in again and after about 30 seconds, started getting a ton of smoke from the bundled up wires. Pulled everything to see what fried. This time, it was the negative wire in the "Y" harness going to the Servo that cooked the insulation off.

I checked the old SW that had the wires burnt up and sure as poo, it was only the negative wire that burnt up.

Just for fun, I hooked everything back up with a new "Y" harness, didn't strap anything down and just turned everything on. After about a minute of just sitting, the negative to the servo burnt up. This time, it burnt up the connection between the servo wire and the "Y" and melted some of the servo wire insulation.

Needless to say, I am going to contacting A Main Hobbies to discuss.

As I have one 350T in my wraith without issues (multiple times out running for extended periods) and one burning up negative wires. I am 50/50 on success with the Protek servos. I have a third one unopened on the bench. I hope I am 66% successful vs. 33%.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:54 PM   #17
bsn
Quarry Creeper

Yea, it is the servo for sure. Just hooked up my 3rd 350T to the same setup. No smoke, no heat, nothing. I am even using the burnt up "Y" harness without any issue.

I emailed A Main so hopefully they can help out.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:49 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I guess it's true what they say, you get what you pay for.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote

What the %$#!^@#, Just burnt up ESC wires - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Burnt ESC maui diesel Electronics 9 01-06-2013 06:36 PM
burnt up esc/ what to get to replace novak goat 2s custom12 Electronics 1 06-09-2010 08:45 PM
Rooster crawler esc burnt out!!!! Help!!!! rcracer11 Electronics 6 02-06-2009 01:18 PM
Esc Wires pureadrenalin Electronics 2 12-15-2006 08:31 AM